• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have extended latches on some of my ARs. I don't rely on the latch through the whole charging sequence, but merely to start the bolt back far enough to pick up the other side of the "T" and draw it straight back.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The Roll Pins that often come with extended latches can either shear, or blow out the thin web on the charging handles as well.

I USED to run Extended Latches. I had two that let go during a match. The first time I blamed myself for maybe not getting the roll pin in all the way. So when I installed another one I made sure the pin was in properly. The second one (New Charging Handle)had the top half of the roll pin in the charging handle, with the bottom hole egged out.
    I will not use another one.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I bought this setup like this, should I try to move the scope forward, (of course, keeping eye relief in mind) to move the eyepiece so it is as you suggest?

Move the scope forward, not much eye relief with the scope that far back. Newer style scope mounts for the AR platforms are designed to give better eye relief by positioning the scope farther forward. Although they are somewhat pricey, both NightForce and Geissele make mounts for the new service rifle optics class that position the scope in optimum position for shooting from multiple positions, though these are made for small objectives per CMP scope limitations. I'm sure that there are less costly mount options that will do the job. I remember seeing one recently in the forum classifieds.
    Another option is an extended rail base that attaches to the receiver. I use a cheap version that I picked up somewhere years ago and it works extremely well. Just select rings of the proper height to work for you and the objective diameter of your scope. White Oak Arms has extended picatinny rail bases for the AR that will work.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    :thumbsup:
    Lefties need to stick together
    #leftiesmatter :D

:thumbsup:

OP, If you don't want to change the scope mount, it looks like you could move them forward a bit and put them closer together. It would allow the scope to be a few inches forward. I agree with the Raptor CH and it should help. Otherwise, spend $70 and get a PEPR or better mount.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I just went on Amazon and got the 14$ extended latch it beats an 80 dollar charging handle and works just the same

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Give it some time, you will find out the hard way. Yours will break sooner, rather than later. Sorry buddy, but you get what you pay for when it comes to firearm parts.

I exclusively run Raptor charging handles on all of my scoped guns. I can manipulate the charging handle with one finger, on either side of the weapon. When people ask me what ambidextrous charging handle to get, I always say the AXTS Raptor. Some cheap out on an ambi, then complain about how it broke, while others buy once and cry once.

I have a Raptor on my precision rig and that is the original charging handle that I bought for that rifle. So fat it has been going strong for 2.5 years, without an issue.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I typically don't use rings on AR type rifles as I run into eye relief trouble. On my "SPR" AR I have my scope in a Burris PEPR mount. Mounts in that style cantilever your scope and allow you to mount it easily, and with proper eye relief for that type of rifle. Here are some mounts to consider. I have used both, and had excellent results with both.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar-p.e.p.r.-scope-mount

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

These are definitely not required, but quite helpful in getting optimal eye relief on those type rifles.

I'll post something in a sec that might help him out.

I bought this setup like this, should I try to move the scope forward, (of course, keeping eye relief in mind) to move the eyepiece so it is as you suggest?

Give me a minute to post a pic for you, so you can see a P.E.P.R. mount, with optic on an upper.

5be894de122617cab497705720caade2.jpg

As a side note, it is not my upper. It is an upper I build for a friend of mine for deer hunting in 300BLK, that is former military. I bought all the parts and assembled it in Chad Force One, with Chad and fidelity on a cool and rainy Sunday. He was surprised by the gift.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    You want to line the end of the bell of the scope to the back end of the rail. You might need a cantilever mount to do so. I use the LaRue SPR 1.5, but there are cheaper options, such as the above mentioned PEPR.

I also put the medium BCM charging handle on it, but if the scope is mounted in the right position, a standard charging handle will be fine.

IMG_0120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom