• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    I assume you were letting the bolt fly when chambering the round? If you want to see if it's just the floating pin or not, ride the bolt forward and chamber completely using the forward assist. If it still had a dent after doing it that way, then you'd have some reason to be concerned.

Hmm, good idea.:thumbsup:

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Too long of a story for the ipad, but I witnessed a slam fire and have never chambered a round in the AR since then, unless I intended to fire it. I only chamber a round in my AR when I am ready to fire.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    As someone getting ready to build his first AR, I'm glad to have read this thread.

Funny reading the end of the Wiki article. My first paintball gun was a Brass Eagle Talon. You could slamfire it at will by holding down the trigger and simply pumping. I eventually broke it doing this, lol.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Too long of a story for the ipad, but I witnessed a slam fire and have never chambered a round in the AR since then, unless I intended to fire it. I only chamber a round in my AR when I am ready to fire.

I was thinking about that. OP I hope you were not playing around with chambering live rounds in your home. I wouldn't recommend ever loading a firearm with live ammo when you are not planning to fire it unless it is your home defense weapon.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    "This is most common when you slingshot the charging handle, pull it all the way back and let it go, to close the bolt."

This occurs every time the gun fires and chambers the next round as well. Same as pulling the bolt back all the way when first charging the rifle.

Correct and usually you are aiming at something. To test functionality I would not use live rounds unless I was at a range and aiming at a target.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yes, I understand that. I was conveying it occurs every time the bolt closes in normal operation. If one isn't worried about their gun going full auto then dropping the bolt is a nonissue. No different than charging the nightstand pistol if that is how one chooses to keep it.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I was thinking about that. OP I hope you were not playing around with chambering live rounds in your home. I wouldn't recommend ever loading a firearm with live ammo when you are not planning to fire it unless it is your home defense weapon.

I hope he wasn't touching a gun either....That could be dangerous :rolleyes:

And I hope his scissors are all safety scissors and he never drives over the speed limit....

What's it like to be afraid of your own shadow?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with chambering a live round somewhere other than a range. Observe the rules of gun safety and you are perfectly fine.

I'm sure you would pee yourself if I told you how I load and unload my carry weapon in my vehicle.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I hope he wasn't touching a gun either....That could be dangerous :rolleyes:

And I hope his scissors are all safety scissors and he never drives over the speed limit....

What's it like to be afraid of your own shadow?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with chambering a live round somewhere other than a range. Observe the rules of gun safety and you are perfectly fine.

I'm sure you would pee yourself if I told you how I load and unload my carry weapon in my vehicle.

Come on now :rolleyes:. I'm just saying that if he is worried that his new, untested AR is striking the primer when it shouldn't be, then it isn't a good idea to be slamming live rounds in and out of it in his house. I've got no problems with loading guns when I'm not going to immediately shoot them if I have a reason to, but why risk an accidental discharge for no reason? I like my floors without holes in them.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    The key here is "untested." I've seen two defective BCGs, when assembled the firing pin remained in the forward position until the first hard impact. This was with a M16A1 and I was the armor on the firing line, but not one of my rifles. I inspected it, told the other unit's first sergeant what I thought the problem was and it was taken to GS maintenance. The final word was a defective carrier. The unit armorer should have caught it when he replaced the old one. It was obvious that the firing pin was sticking out the bolt face and would not move rearward.

A friend asked me to show him how to break down and clean his new AR. Similar to the bolt I had seen 20 years previously, the firing pin remained in a "firing" position. After breaking it down and a thorough cleaning, it was good to go. But I would bet serious money, if he had loaded a round it would have went through his ceiling or living room wall. Again, this should not have left the assembly line / gun shop. The BCG was gummed up with what looked like parkerized material and the firing pin would have had been pounded in there with a hammer, because I had to pry it out of the carrier with a large screw driver.

Therefore, I do not recommend or condone anyone chambering rounds in their new or new-to-them AR anywhere other than a range.

I do not do it because I have better choices for home defense and chambering live rounds in one of my ARs in my house is like wearing socks in the shower.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The key here is "untested." I've seen two defective BCGs, when assembled the firing pin remained in the forward position until the first hard impact. This was with a M16A1 and I was the armor on the firing line, but not one of my rifles. I inspected it, told the other unit's first sergeant what I thought the problem was and it was taken to GS maintenance. The final word was a defective carrier. The unit armorer should have caught it when he replaced the old one. It was obvious that the firing pin was sticking out the bolt face and would not move rearward.

A friend asked me to show him how to break down and clean his new AR. Similar to the bolt I had seen 20 years previously, the firing pin remained in a "firing" position. After breaking it down and a thorough cleaning, it was good to go. But I would bet serious money, if he had loaded a round it would have went through his ceiling or living room wall. Again, this should not have left the assembly line / gun shop. The BCG was gummed up with what looked like parkerized material and the firing pin would have had been pounded in there with a hammer, because I had to pry it out of the carrier with a large screw driver.

Therefore, I do not recommend or condone anyone chambering rounds in their new or new-to-them AR anywhere other than a range.

I do not do it because I have better choices for home defense and chambering live rounds in one of my ARs in my house is like wearing socks in the shower.

Dummie rounds and white out would have shown the same thing and less likely to have an accidental discharge.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For checking a firearm, dummy rounds are great.

For checking AMMUNITION, you have to chamber live rounds.

But they make a bullet catcher, it is like 1 foot square, made of ballistic nylon (a section of a bullet proof vest).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom