• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I've wanted to find a rifle that represents the first firearm I've ever shot, but it's been difficult. Mainly because I don't know the manufacturer, and I'm going strictly off memory. It was a .22 LR bolt action rifle that my great uncle passed down to my brother when I was 7-8 years old. Oddly enough, I remember more about that rifle than either my brother or my mom. I basically need a few models suggested so I can look further into them. Here goes... :lol2:

It was a .22LR bolt action rifle that was quite old even when my brother got it. Considering my great uncle had it for many years, it was probably made in the 20's, 30's, or 40's. It had a magazine, but we never used it. It sat flush with the bottom of the rifle, it held maybe 5 rounds? Maybe less?
    It had a leaf-spring type rear sight, kinda like the one found on a Red Ryder :D
    Here's where I can probably narrow it down best. It was made by a manufacturer that I had heard of before, even at 7 or 8 years old. Logic tells me it was probably a Winchester or Remington. I wasn't familiar with the existence of companies such as Savage, Stevens, Mossberg, and others until much later.

I got kinda excited when looking at pics of a Winchester 52 online, but from what I've been able to gather, they were all target rifles with rear peep sights.

If anyone can throw out a few models fitting the description for me to check out in further detail, I'd appreciate it! I'd love to find a .22 just like the first one I've ever shot!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    scoremaster 511?
    1d6b7f4a8226d30df1a911c8d453a88d[1].jpg

8d37384ad411ec13a410b472f2a0e5ae[1].jpg

5545629f8162bca45d1956cb2581be65[1].jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Rangers were sold by Sears and made by many companies, Marlin and Stevens were a couple. They were pretty common and had a bolt action, leaf sight and some models were clip fed. I seem to remember Western Auto sold them as well.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    It's like calling NYC and asking for Joe. Literally 100's of 22 rifles and if it was long ago anything you see with a bolt and a clip was "it". It's like the first I ever shot..... probably at Gwynn Oak or Ocean City shooting gallery.......maybe a Remington Model 1 but that was half a century ago so who knows?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    First I shot? Nylon 66. Easy to remember cause it's still in the gun cabinet. First handgun was an h&r revolver. ure brother get rid of it or sumthin? May be easier to track posession until someone knows what it is

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a "big name" gun probably a M69 Winchester or M5xx Remington. Beyond those everybody made similar ones , and in those days every major chain store, and hardware distributor had private label versions thereof.

Get a copy of either Gun Traders Guide , or Blue Book of Gun Values and flip thru. Out of date editions will be just as good for I'd.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I appreciate the insight guys! I realize there was a shit-ton of .22's made by a bunch of manufacturers, but I do remember it being a "big name", so that narrows it down quite a bit. Yeah, unfortunately my brother pawned off the rifle within a few years of getting it. I know I'll never know for sure if it's the same rifle, but I'd like to find one that's at least similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom