• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I just picked up my CMP M1 from FedEx, and I'm quite happy with what they sent me. It's a service grade Springfield, 5.8M serial. Good condition GI wood, SA barrel and op rod, mostly HRA for the rest. I haven't taken it apart completely yet, but all of the metal appears to be in fantastic shape. I don't have gauges, but the card attached to the rifle stated muzzle wear 1+, Throat wear 2+. I'm excited, I can't wait to get this thing cleaned up and to the range!

Short Slideshow

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co

See the link in the original post, LOL!

It even had a pull-through and an old dried-out tub of Lubriplate in the buttstock! I think the CMP picked me a winner. I've seen several guys on the CMP forums that request GI wood and don't get it. I didn't request anything, I was expecting a new manufacture stock set. The GI stock is a nice surprise.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Looks quite nice. I hope you have ammo to try it out. Those late Springfields are some of the nicest M1's.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Congrats. You will be very happy with it. They can flat out shoot. Happy you got the G.I. wood too. It's a bonus. My late model SA looked new and was only missing an SA bolt (it had an HRA) I switched it out with the proper bolt and wala! Correct Grade...
    Order one of those Winny's before their all gone.:)

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    NICE! I've recently decided to stop buying guns for awhile to focus on another hobby for a few months, but the more I see threads like this, the more I think I really need to get me a CMP Garand before they're all gone!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    NICE! I've recently decided to stop buying guns for awhile to focus on another hobby for a few months, but the more I see threads like this, the more I think I really need to get me a CMP Garand before they're all gone!

I'd like to tell ya "take your time, no hurry...". But I vividly recall JAGGUY urging me to get an M1 carbine from the CMP before they were gone. Guess what. I waited and missed out. The carbines they have now are on the auction block (and pricey). He who hesitates is lost. :innocent0

The way I look at it is the Garand the CMP sent me could be sold for more than I paid in a heartbeat. And it ain't for sale.

BTW, "Worthless Without Pics" guys...click on the link in LostSoul's OP. There's a nice little slide show. Geez, even this ol' caveman could figure that out. :rolleyes:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Nice piece of history you have there .Federal makes ammo specificaly for the garand my father shoots it in his .With the good milsurp drying up and commercial hunting a lil hot for it you may want to check it out . He has no complaints with it . Nice piece of history you have there .

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Looks awesome! Plus you get the snazzy CMP hard case now. I'm jealous, mine came in an plain ol' cardboard box last summer.

By the way, I cleaned up my M1's stock with a little denatured alcohol and gave it the Boiled Linseed Oil treatment. It came out looking great. Here are the before/after pics:
    148-1.jpg

002a.jpg

BLO is what they used to finish the stocks originally so no worries about "bubba-ing" it.
    Enjoy it!

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Looks awesome! Plus you get the snazzy CMP hard case now. I'm jealous, mine came in an plain ol' cardboard box last summer.

By the way, I cleaned up my M1's stock with a little denatured alcohol and gave it the Boiled Linseed Oil treatment. It came out looking great. Here are the before/after pics:

BLO is what they used to finish the stocks originally so no worries about "bubba-ing" it.
    Enjoy it!

That looks fantastic, hopefully mine will rub out as nicely! I've only wiped down the outside of the wood with mineral spirits, I still have to de-cosmoline the insides then work on oiling it.

I'll post up more/better pics once I get it looking better. I already cleaned up all of the metal and gave it a coat of Eezox, now for the cosmoline fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom