• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I've read a few threads here regarding the legality of autos in general and specifically in MD. I'm just recently getting "into" knives, and I'd like to have a nice auto someday just for the cool-factor. I'm already aware that a good assisted-opener or regular folder can be just as- if not more effective than an auto.

I understand I can't carry it anywhere outside my home. No questions there, I'll just keep it at home and use/ fondle/ play with it here. What I don't know is, where can I legally buy one? I know they cannot be shipped to me, I know they cannot be sold in MD. (at least, not to a non-military, non-law enforcement peon like myself) But, correct me if I'm wrong, they can be purchased out of state and brought into MD. So, where do I go when I'm ready to buy one? Are they legal for sale in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware? If so, can anyone recommend a shop to go to? If not, am I just shit-outta-luck?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hmm.. i thought i saw somebody in frederick gun show selling some "stilletos"(if i spelled it right).. it may be fake ones if it is illegal to be sold in maryland.

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    Pretty sure not legal to buy/sell in Maryland. You can get them tho, and can prolly get them shiped here. Keep at home = Don't get busted.

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    I bought a nice Microtech in S Carolina, cash and carry. Plenty to be had in many outdoor/western wear shops there.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    a close friend of mine *ahem* had a front-opening concord all through high school and most of college. He used it regularly as a box-cutting knife at home depot to cut through the plastic wrap and boxes where the HD supplied box-cutters just sucked. It was a PIA to sharpen with a lansky kit and so he just turned to sharpening it old school on an arkansas stone. i remember he got it mailed straight to his house from an italian company. i believe it was exactly like this from what i recall......
    http://www.uniqueblade.com/products...tomatic_knife_Black_Silver_by_AKC-229-17.html

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    I may be wrong but I believe that federal law prohibits interstate commerce for auto knives which would technically make buying them out of state illegal. I don't see any reason that people wouldn't sell them locally since I don't think possession is illegal in MD but carrying is.

Edit: I know its wikipedia but the sources are listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade#Federal_law

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I may be wrong but I believe that federal law prohibits interstate commerce for auto knives which would technically make buying them out of state illegal. I don't see any reason that people wouldn't sell them locally since I don't think possession is illegal in MD but carrying is.

Edit: I know its wikipedia but the sources are listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade#Federal_law

Thanks for the link, I did find something interesting in it near the end of the Maryland source...
    § 4-105. Transfer of switchblade or shooting knife.
    (a) Prohibited.- A person may not sell, barter, display, or offer to sell or barter:
    (1) a knife or a penknife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, commonly called a switchblade knife or a switchblade penknife; or
    (2) a device that is designed to propel a knife from a metal sheath by means of a high-compression ejector spring, commonly called a shooting knife.
    (b) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 12 months or a fine of not less than $50 and not exceeding $500 or both.

So does that mean literally "a person" cannot sell a switchblade, or does that also apply to businesses?

From other posts I've read, it seems like you can only buy one locally if you're LEO or military.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I don't know if switchblades are legal or not nor do I really care. Any bans on knives are against my religion:). I have seen real switchblades for sale on the internet and at local Maryland and Virginia gun shows within the last year.
    Unfortunately most of them are cheap Chinese made ones but they are out there.

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    I carry a Kershaw which has a "assisted opening" blade. Completely legal. They are great knives too.

So do I, the Kershaw Leek is a well made knife and has a reversible pocket clip. All the guys I work with have one clipped to their pocket. They can be bought on EBay for about $32.

I've owned auto knives before and the Kershaw can be opened and closed with one hand just as fast as any of the auto knives I've owned. Basically the Leek functions like an auto knife when opening and with a little bit of practice can close with one hand nearly as fast.

I've even seen the Kershaw assisted opening knife (not the Leek) for sale at Wal-Mart.

A Lansky sharpener makes these things pocket razors. Although I do not recommend the Damascus steel version of the Leek. The Damascus version is hard to sharpen and it was constantly rusting even though I regularly wiped it down with oil. It finally got so bad I had to bead blast it clean. Then I lost it.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm a huge fan of kershaws but they aren't auto's. Never had an interest in an auto. Assisted Opening is plenty for me. My EDC now doesn't even have the torsion bar, Kershaw JYD 2, probably my favorite EDC in years. I'm also a fan of the leek, but the ergonomics are pretty slim for a decent hold for stout chores, but they open boxes and letters very well, and they look real cool.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I was in Memphis a while ago and every gun show had tables full of them. Most were cheep junk, but there were a few dealers selling top quality brands. The first show I went to I didn't buy since I wanted to check to compare prices at a knife store. I went to a knife store in a mall and the owner told me switchblades were illegal to own unless you were military or law enforcement. He told me the Memphis Police would stake out the knife shows and watch someone buy a switchblade and then hem them up once they left the venue. I picked up one a few years ago. After a while the belt clip broke and I had to get it replaced. I contacted the company www.osograndeknives.com and they sent me a replacement belt clip. After a while the safety wore out and the knife would open itself in my pocket. Always had to be careful putting my hand in my pocket. Many of the legal assisted opening knives can open just as fast. The anti switchblade laws date back to the West Side Story days. Mine always came in handy at work when one hand was full and I needed to open a box or cut a rope.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I'm a huge fan of kershaws but they aren't auto's. Never had an interest in an auto. Assisted Opening is plenty for me. My EDC now doesn't even have the torsion bar, Kershaw JYD 2, probably my favorite EDC in years. I'm also a fan of the leek, but the ergonomics are pretty slim for a decent hold for stout chores, but they open boxes and letters very well, and they look real cool.

My current EDC is a Spyderco Tenacious I bought after watching a Nutnfancy review.

This thing opens just as fast as any assisted and it's completely manual. No torsion bar or spring to break either.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I have both a Leek and a Tenacious, they're great knives! The leek is definitely the fastest opening knife I have, and the Sandvik steel it's made of seems to hold a good edge. I haven't had the Tenacious very long, but it's a tank and opens very quickly considering it's not assisted. The steel's a little soft though(8cr13mov... Chi-com stuff) but it sharpens easily. I carry the Tenacious at work, and I have a small rotation of other EDC's for everywhere else.

As far as the Auto thing goes, I'm currently under the impression that I'm S.O.L. I can't legally buy one in MD, and buying out-of-state is dicey due to the "interstate commerce" B.S. I'd like to think I'm wrong about something, hopefully I'll find a loophole eventually!

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I believe that you can go to a jurisdiction where autos are legal for civillians to posess and carry and buy one. They just won't ship one to you here or sell one to you while they are here unless you are LE.

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    I have both a Leek and a Tenacious, they're great knives! The leek is definitely the fastest opening knife I have, and the Sandvik steel it's made of seems to hold a good edge. I haven't had the Tenacious very long, but it's a tank and opens very quickly considering it's not assisted. The steel's a little soft though(8cr13mov... Chi-com stuff) but it sharpens easily. I carry the Tenacious at work, and I have a small rotation of other EDC's for everywhere else.

As far as the Auto thing goes, I'm currently under the impression that I'm S.O.L. I can't legally buy one in MD, and buying out-of-state is dicey due to the "interstate commerce" B.S. I'd like to think I'm wrong about something, hopefully I'll find a loophole eventually!

Well no loophole needed, I have purchased several in state and am currently selling a microtech halo II if your interested

I believe that you can go to a jurisdiction where autos are legal for civillians to posess and carry and buy one. They just won't ship one to you here or sell one to you while they are here unless you are LE.

In maryland you are allowed to own them just not carry them around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom