Any MD car insurance experts for non driver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    The new generation (millenials) are interesting. When I first got my license in the 80's, I couldn't wait to drive. Nowadays, some millenials don't want to drive, but wanted to get their license for ID purposes. Thus they got their drivers license.

Now, if a child lives in the same house, but does not drive at all, not even in emergencies, do they have to be part of your auto policy and be covered?

Basically, this child NEVER drives. Walks or bikes when he leaves the house, and only got their license to "get it over with..."

Does he need to get car insurance? I couldn't find any info on MVA site.

Thanks.

Last edited:

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    If he doesn't have a car there's nothing to insure. No such thing as drivers license insurance.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I battled multiple times with GEICO on this. I had three daughters and two grand daughters that ran through my household. All licensed drivers in the house will need listed. You can assign vehicles to drivers, but they will be there. I never let any new driver use my wife’s, or my own primary vehicle.

I battled trying to remove kids after they left the nest. GEICO said I had to prove they had insurance elsewhere, even after the kid moved out of state. That’s hard to do when the kid moves, but doesn’t own a car, this no insurance. The last time they told me there’s nothing they can do, I told them there’s something I can do, I will be calling back in a few minutes to cancel my policy, and I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    I battled multiple times with GEICO on this. I had three daughters and two grand daughters that ran through my household. All licensed drivers in the house will need listed. You can assign vehicles to drivers, but they will be there. I never let any new driver use my wife’s, or my own primary vehicle.

I battled trying to remove kids after they left the nest. GEICO said I had to prove they had insurance elsewhere, even after the kid moved out of state. That’s hard to do when the kid moves, but doesn’t own a car, this no insurance. The last time they told me there’s nothing they can do, I told them there’s something I can do, I will be calling back in a few minutes to cancel my policy, and I did.

So, if GEICO required you to prove that they had insurance elsewhere, does that mean that the child still has to get car insurance either through my policy or another policy?

I'm trying to understand if it is the state law to have car insurance even if they don't have a car at all (and don't drive) even though they already have their driver's license.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What if they already have their driver's license instead of an ID card?

It just states you are “permitted” to legally drive not that you have to. My MIL who passed away at 96 last January had an expired Md DL. Still used it as a state issued ID. Banks told her it was expired and she told them “nope, only the driving part was”. ID was still good according to DMV.

Just like having a HQL. Means you can legally purchase a handgun in Md NOT that you have to.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yes. My son's girlfriend lived with us. Geico somehow found out about it and added her to our policy without even notifying us until they sent the bill. I can't remember what we had to do to get it resolved but I think we needed to proove to Geico that she had coverage elsewhere.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    Yes. My son's girlfriend lived with us. Geico somehow found out about it and added her to our policy without even notifying us until they sent the bill. I can't remember what we had to do to get it resolved but I think we needed to proove to Geico that she had coverage elsewhere.

Thanks. Good to know. So, it sounds like everyone with a drivers license living at the same address IS REQUIRED to be added to the policy even if they drive your cars or not. And, if they have a separate policy, they will also need to add you to their policy. Thus, the insurance companies win either way because everyone can be counted twice if there is more than one policy.

Also, I'm rebuilding and restoring a couple of cars. But, because even the cars are taken apart and not driveable, we have to pay for insurance if they are tagged. This doesn't make sense, but either way, I guess the insurance company will find ways to make money no matter what.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    So, if GEICO required you to prove that they had insurance elsewhere, does that mean that the child still has to get car insurance either through my policy or another policy?

I'm trying to understand if it is the state law to have car insurance even if they don't have a car at all (and don't drive) even though they already have their driver's license.

No, if they carry on a different policy, you do not need to add to yours.

I do not know what drives this. I always assume it’s just part of the insurance racket.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Ask your insurance company if there's an 'excluded driver' notation.

+1 on State issued ID

GEICO did allow me to do an exclusion on a kid when I threatened to cancel once. They don’t tell you the exclusion self cancels on policy renewal.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Also, I'm rebuilding and restoring a couple of cars. But, because even the cars are taken apart and not driveable, we have to pay for insurance if they are tagged. This doesn't make sense, but either way, I guess the insurance company will find ways to make money no matter what.

If the cars are going to be tagged but off the road for a period of time, talk to the insurance company about a 'storage' option. I've done this with an RV that was not on the road for over a year, it decreases the cost for the vehicle considerably.

DO NOT DRIVE IT while they have it in a 'storage' condition, at all. All it takes is a phone call to change it back to normal status. Otherwise, if anything happens, it will not be covered. They may even drop you too, since you basically lied about the vehicle status (for all they know you were driving the whole time).

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    In my experience, your car insurance may even threaten to cancel your policy if you can't prove they have insurance elsewhere.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    You guys have dicks for agents. Mine added my kids when they were licensed, and dropped them when they moved out. Nothing other than saying “take them off the policy” was necessary.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    You guys have dicks for agents. Mine added my kids when they were licensed, and dropped them when they moved out. Nothing other than saying “take them off the policy” was necessary.

I agree. You don't need insurance on a car that's not tagged. Some shady agents floating around.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020

Right. GEICO is a piece of work, glad I left. I would start looking at a different insurance company and only put the people you want insured on it. No worry about taking anyone off the policy. GEICO starts singing a different tune when you leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom