• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    So the victim (aka homeowner) was armed. The perpetrator (aka intruder) wasn’t. That’s a win in my book.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    No. The home inspection company is owned by the homeowner's father, and there are reports that the homeowner worked for them too. That is why the truck was in the driveway, the home wasn't being inspected.

Yeah saw that. I don't see an issue with the shoot at all by the way. I am from Texas where defense of property is allowed which I love.

SiouxBe

Aug 7, 2021
    PoolEsville home invader ...

Years ago my-cousin-the-lawyer noted that in Maryland:
    - if a homeowner has a pool in the back yard with a 4' chainlink fence around it with locked gates and NO TRESPASSING signs posted, AND a 6' fence around the yard with locked gates and NO TRESPASSING signs posted, and it's mid-winter so the pool is wintered with a full locked cover over a balloon in 2' of water that is frozen ... and someone climbs over the yard fence, climbs over the pool fence, breaks under the cover and gets trapped by the balloon in the tiny bit of water that may still be unfrozen and drowns ... it's homeowner's fault due to "attractive nuisance law".
    - also, if someone is breaking into that same homeowner's home, having climbed over the 6' yard fence, the homeowner better make sure the creep is in the house before shooting them, or lift them into the house, because at the time the only real property the homeowner owned was within their house. Yard didn't count.

Sounds like it's crazier now.

It’s interesting how the home invader seems to be the victim, unless I read that wrong…
    Anyway:
    https://www.fox5dc.com/news/homeown...ng-into-his-montgomery-county-home-police-say

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    It seems like this may be the same kind of situation.

I found the house on Redfin

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Poolesville/18810-River-Rd-20837/home/10500569

Scroll down and you can see comments from realtors from a few years ago stating that there was significant mold in the basement, one suggesting it needed a complete tear down.

Perhaps the owner avoided the basement for long periods and there was evidence of the perp squatting there for some time before the owner ever found out (and then shot the perp).
    House was sold for $405k in 2019 by Suntrust to Rob and Brad Hopkin. Mold reports in the Redfin listing are probably from the time period prior to that sale. Previous sale was at $440k in 2016, so probably a repo/foreclosure by Suntrust.

3164 SF is pretty big for a 3BR/2BA house.

I bet the decedent was squatting in the basement. Hopkin probably was in the house to inspect or something. They're listed at a different Poolesville address.

Trelfar

Feb 18, 2021
    if someone is breaking into that same homeowner's home, having climbed over the 6' yard fence, the homeowner better make sure the creep is in the house before shooting them, or lift them into the house, because at the time the only real property the homeowner owned was within their house. Yard didn't count.
    When I did my HQL a year ago the instructor told us the same thing. Yard doesn't count, car port doesn't count, porch doesn't count, inside your shed doesn't count. Inside the garage only counts if the garage is fully attached to the house (not a separate structure). Even if attacked outside on your property you have a duty to retreat into your dwelling and can only legally shoot in self defense once the assailant has crossed the threshold into the dwelling.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    There was an incident not too long ago, St Mary's County(?), where the home owner shot a guy in the yard that was shooting into the home. The home owner was not charged.

So depends on circumstances, I would say.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Literally the worst. with 2A friends like that who needs Bloomberg.

Agree. Everyone jumps on the "good shoot/bad shoot" bandwagon and march right past the big picture:

Situation:. A homeowner has shot someone one their property.

First question: Did that person have a legal reason to be there? (paid rent, invited onto property, law enforcement acting for the common good, etc)

If not, then it is a good shoot, IMHO. No other questions required.

I hate this state.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My default position is support for homeowners that shhot intruders in their houses, same for police that are involved in shootings. I give them the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise. There are no shortage of others out there looking to crucify anyone that dares protect themselves or others, they don't need me on that bandwagon too.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Poolesville? Intruder in Poolesville? Let's see two patrol officers for an upper county agricultural preserve area say 6 square miles.
    The density alone of private gun owners who's children take off for deer season, from one of the top High Schools in the state, would and should bring any criminal mind into focus, that entering a home in Poolesville unlawfully could end your day badly. Good grief. No pun intended. Homeowner is scott free on this one.

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    There was an incident not too long ago, St Mary's County(?), where the home owner shot a guy in the yard that was shooting into the home. The home owner was not charged.

So depends on circumstances, I would say.

Depends on the county. John McCarthy is a lib pos scumbag. If there was anyway he could charge the homeowner he would have been charged by now.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    "I can say it is interesting that THIS person did happen upon THIS house. Umm, but right now we're still trying to find out why . . ."--Shiera Goff, Montgomery County Police Spokesperson.

So what's so special about a home invader happening upon any random house? What is she trying to imply? It appears she is looking for a way to say the homeowner was asking for it, without the spokesperson actually explaining herself.

Eye hart 762

Apr 8, 2019
    Agree. Everyone jumps on the "good shoot/bad shoot" bandwagon and march right past the big picture:

Situation:. A homeowner has shot someone one their property.

First question: Did that person have a legal reason to be there? (paid rent, invited onto property, law enforcement acting for the common good, etc)

If not, then it is a good shoot, IMHO. No other questions required.

I hate this state.

This x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom