• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    If you go to a range alone such as the AGC, Elk Neck or TMGN, what steps does one take if you leave the bench to change targets or perform other actions? Do you cable lock the rifle to the bench or rifle rack or stow in your vehicle to go downrange? An indoor range when you just gotta step away?

paperwork351

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If you go to a range alone such as the AGC, Elk Neck or TMGN, what steps does one take if you leave the bench to change targets or perform other actions? Do you cable lock the rifle to the bench or rifle rack or stow in your vehicle to go downrange? An indoor range when you just gotta step away?

paperwork351

Normally the RSO is in the immediate area at the AGC's 100 yard Barnes range. So he can keep an eye on it. Situational awareness as well on your part.

I have shot my Barrett at the AGC's 200 yard range there. They provide metal storage lockers for you to use but my Barrett would not fit in it. So I cleared and then carried my Barrett all of the way down range to change my target. The next time I went only halfway down the range and set it down while I went the rest of the 100 yards to change my targets. Cause it was becoming a heavy SOB. This was when I was there all by myself. And the RSO does not station himself at the 200 yard range as opposed to the 100 yard range.

It would be VERY EASY for someone to do a quick snatch and carry of your firearm on that 200 yard range. The road is right there for a quick getaway.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't worry to much about it at the ACG. I have been shooting there since the late 70's as a kid. I don't know of any issues like that. Not that it may not have happened, but all the members I know are felony adverse. I have never been to Elk Neck to the TMGN.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I leave the firearms on the bench at TMGN. Never had a problem. Seriously! Grab a cardboard backer when you get there, and all the target changing happens right in front of you. If you suck at basketball (I’m guilty) and need to throw a target in the trash can, it’s like 5 steps away. If I want to leave to piss or something, I tell the RSO, and they keep an eye on my stuff.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    It would be VERY EASY for someone to do a quick snatch and carry of your firearm on that 200 yard range. The road is right there for a quick getaway.

I've had those same thoughts every time I'm on the 200 yard line and need to go down range. Luckily, I've always had others with me to cover the gear. Someone could grab weapons off benches, run to their car, and be out of sight in 20 seconds with those roads around AGC.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've had those same thoughts every time I'm on the 200 yard line and need to go down range. Luckily, I've always had others with me to cover the gear. Someone could grab weapons off benches, run to their car, and be out of sight in 20 seconds with those roads around AGC.

Yep!

And maybe I have a wild imagination. But the last place I want to be is 200 yards downrange, with my rifle and ammo readily available to be either stolen.....or even used. There's no shortage of whackadoodles.

I can't access a link at present to the AGC Range Rules to verify, but I'm pretty sure that those lockers on the 200 yard range are a requirement for use, in situations where firearms would otherwise be left unattended. Someone will probably be along to confirm or refute.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Yep!

And maybe I have a wild imagination. But the last place I want to be is 200 yards downrange, with my rifle and ammo readily available to be either stolen.....or even used. There's no shortage of whackadoodles.

I can't access a link at present to the AGC Range Rules to verify, but I'm pretty sure that those lockers on the 200 yard range are a requirement for use, in situations where firearms would otherwise be left unattended. Someone will probably be along to confirm or refute.

I don't think use of the lockers is required, but I wouldn't leave firearms or scopes unattended and unsecured on the 200 yard range. We mention the lockers and road access during the range badge orientation walkthrough. I don't know if theft ever happened, but I don't want to be first.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I don't think use of the lockers is required, but I wouldn't leave firearms or scopes unattended and unsecured on the 200 yard range. We mention the lockers and road access during the range badge orientation walkthrough. I don't know if theft ever happened, but I don't want to be first.

Firearms are not to be left unattended on 200 yard range at the AGC. You can put them in a locker, in your car, or leave them under the supervision of another shooter.

14. Firearms shall NOT be left unattended. (C2) Lockers with locks are provided for your use.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    in general when i go downrange to check/change targets i bring a handgun with me and keep looking back.

I do the same. My 200/100/50 range of choice is very rural. I'm usually there during down times and am shooting alone. The likelihood of anything happening there is exceptionally low, but not zero. Not to mention, having a extra target posted for handgun use on each trip downrange to the boards is a nice break in the action so to speak (when the lone range occupant, of course).

Edit for clarity: handgun is also allowed on the range in question, when no one is shooting or waiting to shoot from longer ranges (i.e. the line can be moved forward).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I never went alone but if i did i would clear it and take gun with me!!!!
    My home range, Hap Baker, when the range is cold you are prohibited from touching any firearms anywhere. I doubt I’d be allowed to take my rifle with me down range, cleared or otherwise. I suspect this would be a violation at other ranges as well???

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Yes it's happened before. I believe it would also be a violation of the rules to bring your firearm with you forward of the line during a cease fire. That's why those lockers are there, so your firearm can be secured while you're downrange.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    At school our M-1's were locked with a cable through the trigger guard. Think about that a moment...

Just look for someone trying to buy several M-1 triggers :lol2:

I guess for me I am a combination of a bit more trusting as it isn't a public range I am a member of as well as the fact that it is electronic badge access to drive down the range road to the parking lot of the range at my club. Sure, someone could grab a firearm(s) off the bench when I am down range, run for it, throw it in their car or truck and run for it.

But unless they've stolen someone's badge, it is going to be pretty easy for police to figure out who stole it. That plus the security cameras at the ranges providing some juicy video evidence.

Now it does make my shoulders itch going down range if anyone else is staying at the benches, even if they seem totally responsible. But I do make sure that everyone seems responsible and is staying away from the benches when its cold before I go down range. Doesn't stop some demented person.

But some demented person could just turn to the side and shoot me while I am sitting there shooting. Or walk up behind people and start shooting. Or will just shoot up a mall or school. Only so much you can do to stop the really determined or crazy and I try not to spend much time worrying about one in a million things. And most likely, based on the last few decades of news and evidence I am aware of, someone is probably about 1,000x more likely to either roll in to the range to commit suicide (significantly more likely at public ranges with rentals) or a negligent discharge than intentional murder or attempted murder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom