• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a nice day out at AGC with a fellow MDS'er on the board who invited me out for the day. I came away from that experience thinking that maybe it'd be a good investment to get a membership there. I'm already a member of Meade Rifle & Pistol Club so the "associate club" aspect is already handled.

In any case, I always thought I was "Mr. Prepared" when it comes to going to the range. I have all kinds of things in my range bag, but I came away thinking that I should probably pick up some other things.

1. Mag loaders. I've always been the guy to think that I don't need no danged new-fangled loading contraptions. The guy I went with had a pistol mag loader. I need one. Like, yesterday. I'm looking at the Maglula Uplula. Not sure what I want for AR. I'm certain my thumbs will thank me.
    2. Splat-style targets. I printed a bunch of targets out on card-stock, and they seemed like they'd be great, but even at 15m at the pistol range, they can be a kind of hard to see.
    3. Binoculars or spotting scope. I'm not sure what to think on this one, but I know that with iron sights on the rifle range, it's next to impossible to see where your shots are hitting without magnification of some kind.
    4. Empty chamber flags. I had none, and had to borrow from the guy I went with, who fortunately had plenty for both of us.

A side thought is that I might need to think about getting another smaller range bag so I can have a bag for guns, and a bag for ammo. My bag fully loaded was kind of a bear to lug around.

I think that a membership at AGC would likely pay for itself - right now most of my shooting happens at either Cindy's or On-Target, and although I can shoot my rifles at Cindy's, I think I'd prefer shooting outdoors. I've got some fairly nice rifles I can shoot, and it would finally give me the excuse to start reloading for rifle - something I have yet to do.

Anyway, I don't expect a lot of comments on this thread, but I did want to share about my first experience at AGC. Seems like a pretty solid place to shoot.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thre's a LULA loader for the AR. Works well and saves your thumbs.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Splatter targets are great if you have bad eyes like me!

-big Wang
    My friend had them and we used his targets after first trying to use mine. They were MUCH easier to track where our hits were going. Shooting indoors it never seemed to be a problem - maybe it's due to the lighting perhaps? In any case, if I splurge for an AGC membership, I'll definitely invest in some.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Get steel targets. You can thank me later

This.
    The "clang" after hitting a steel target is soooo much more satisfying than shooting a piece of paper.
    So how does that work at AGC? Do you have to find a way to hang them higher so that if you miss you still hit the berm rather than the ground? Are there any you'd suggest? I know that steel targets on wood frames can be problematic because the lead/copper chews up the wood on the sides when it splatters.

I'm interested to learn more about that.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    So how does that work at AGC? Do you have to find a way to hang them higher so that if you miss you still hit the berm rather than the ground? Are there any you'd suggest? I know that steel targets on wood frames can be problematic because the lead/copper chews up the wood on the sides when it splatters.

There is an online cert you have to get after you have a badge to shoot steel. It covers all the details. They have targets for sale at the range that benefit the youth groups. It is everything you need, stand target and holder. There are restrictions on types and distances so getting the one they sell makes it easy. They have holders on the 100yard line to place the 2x4 stand in. Easy peasy....

Any steel target carriers cannot be capable of readily deflecting a bullet. (A 2x4 is the standard). They can usually take many rounds before needing to be replaced. Being careful to no get cut on embedded copper jackets is something to remember. I typically cut a 2x4x8 in half and use it. 3/8" AR500 steel will readily stand up to projectiles and last a long time before becoming unusable.
    AGC steel certification requires a 100% score on the quiz and a $10 fee. It never expires.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There is an online cert you have to get after you have a badge to shoot steel. It covers all the details. They have targets for sale at the range that benefit the youth groups. It is everything you need, stand target and holder. There are restrictions on types and distances so getting the one they sell makes it easy. They have holders on the 100yard line to place the 2x4 stand in. Easy peasy....

Any steel target carriers cannot be capable of readily deflecting a bullet. (A 2x4 is the standard). They can usually take many rounds before needing to be replaced. Being careful to no get cut on embedded copper jackets is something to remember. I typically cut a 2x4x8 in half and use it. 3/8" AR500 steel will readily stand up to projectiles and last a long time before becoming unusable.
    AGC steel certification requires a 100% score on the quiz and a $10 fee. It never expires.
    All of that sounds easy enough. One thing at a time though - I need to get the AGC membership first.

From a cost perspective, I figure I'd have to go 6-8 times a year for it to equate to paying as I go when I go to places like Cindy's or On-Target.

Question: does it ever get so crowded that you can't get a lane? That would be a downside for me.

At the rifle range, I was wondering about the fact that there was only a ceasefire once every 30 minutes. What I didn't realize is just how fast 30 minutes can go! It seemed like we just got going with what we were doing on the rifle range when the next ceasefire was called. I wondered if something had happened to cause it, but then I looked at my watch and saw that 30 minutes had blown by. That definitely won't be an issue.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    All of that sounds easy enough. One thing at a time though - I need to get the AGC membership first.

From a cost perspective, I figure I'd have to go 6-8 times a year for it to equate to paying as I go when I go to places like Cindy's or On-Target.

Question: does it ever get so crowded that you can't get a lane? That would be a downside for me.

At the rifle range, I was wondering about the fact that there was only a ceasefire once every 30 minutes. What I didn't realize is just how fast 30 minutes can go! It seemed like we just got going with what we were doing on the rifle range when the next ceasefire was called. I wondered if something had happened to cause it, but then I looked at my watch and saw that 30 minutes had blown by. That definitely won't be an issue.

Never seen it so crowded that you can't shoot, but I'm usually there before 9a on Saturdays. Certainly not like Hap Baker. The only downside is that sometimes the range is closed for an event, so remember to check the schedule. Well worth the drive for me (out of Baltimore) and the highlight of my week quite often. $200 for unlimited outdoor range access is an absolute steal. Do it.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    [/QUOTE]Question: does it ever get so crowded that you can't get a lane? [/QUOTE]

I have been a member for almost 30 years. (Yikes!) I have never been unable to get a lane, but on rare occasions a range is closed for an event. Call or check online calendar before you drive.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Never seen it so crowded that you can't shoot, but I'm usually there before 9a on Saturdays. Certainly not like Hap Baker. The only downside is that sometimes the range is closed for an event, so remember to check the schedule. Well worth the drive for me (out of Baltimore) and the highlight of my week quite often. $200 for unlimited outdoor range access is an absolute steal. Do it.

It’s absolutely worth it- the Barnes 100yd does get pretty crowded sometimes, events on the weekends often setup earlier than everyone else and depending on how many there may not be many positions available but not an issue normally. Check the Events Calendar for an idea how many positions an event will be occupying.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    The 200 yard rifle range access has been rather miserable to get on due to events and bad AGC policies, but I'm still a member. I've never not been able to get on the 100 yard range.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Pistol range always has had plenty of room every time I’ve gone, I was just out there the past two Saturday mornings. Get the steel cert as well- I agree it’s much more fun that way as everyone else has opined.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The 200 yard rifle range access has been rather miserable to get on due to events and bad AGC policies, but I'm still a member. I've never not been able to get on the 100 yard range.

Pistol range always has had plenty of room every time I’ve gone, I was just out there the past two Saturday mornings. Get the steel cert as well- I agree it’s much more fun that way as everyone else has opined.
    I don't know that I'll "need" the 200 yard range - I'd definitely check the schedule first if I thought I wanted to try to use it. I know I'd use the pistol range though.

It's exactly 30 miles door-to-door to AGC according to the maps GPS app on my phone, so it takes just a hair longer than 30 minutes to get there. Cindy's is closer to me than On-Target, but there's almost always a wait at Cindy's, and there's no direct way to get to OT from my place.

You guys are doing a great job of selling me on the idea of getting an AGC membership.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I don't know that I'll "need" the 200 yard range - I'd definitely check the schedule first if I thought I wanted to try to use it. I know I'd use the pistol range though.

It's exactly 30 miles door-to-door to AGC according to the maps GPS app on my phone, so it takes just a hair longer than 30 minutes to get there. Cindy's is closer to me than On-Target, but there's almost always a wait at Cindy's, and there's no direct way to get to OT from my place.

You guys are doing a great job of selling me on the idea of getting an AGC membership.

Both are closer than AGC for me as well- I’m in Glen Burnie. It’s a nice drive out there. I joined about 11 yrs ago for the 1st time and only had a brief break where I wasn’t a member. I never looked back.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Splatter targets Brichwood Casey 'Shoot-n-See'. A host of others as https://splatterbursttargets.com. Google 'DIY shoot-n-see/splatter'.
    Sooner or later you'll hit the 200yd line. What spotting scope is best for the .224 holes? Low light? I like brass catchers. A plethora of choices. Diy that also. I don't like attaching to the rifle. My DIY v1.0 shown. For standingl I use https://www.cm-machine.com/Ultimate-Brass-Catcher_c_12.html and two 24" extensions. The 200yd on major holidays because of matches. Been a while.

brass catcher.jpg

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Those Shoot-n-See splatter targets work great. Amazon carries them too.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Do your self a big favor. Get a spotting scope over binos. A mediocre priced spotting scope will be better than a more expensive binocular. Especially if you are shooting at 100 yds or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom