• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TravisVerve

May 3, 2021
    Just got back into owning a few guns this past year. Finished a couple 80% (AR and Glock style)

Shooting at the range is useful but kinda boring and super expensive.

Anyone know of/ have a place where you could plink at various targets outside?

I used to have a buddy years ago who had a farm where we could set up exploding targets, soda bottles, etc lol... That was fun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I couldn't agree more. It has been frustrating to me over the years I've lived here in Central Maryland because I grew up in rural SW Nebraska. Although you can't do this anymore, when I was a kid finding a place to shoot was as easy as going to the local landfill. Not only was it safe due to all of the pits and backstops literally everywhere, but finding fun things to shoot at was easy.

Another place I did a lot of shooting was the piece of ground a relative of mine had just outside of town. Me and a friend would grab our .22s, a few boxes of shells, and then we'd ride our bikes to it, spending the afternoon plinking.

By the time I was a young adult, my Dad, who was the chief of police in the town, had the town set up a range for "the police department" (I'm pretty sure the only one who used it was him) right at the edge of the south side of town. When he retired, he set up a personal shooting range on the same plot of ground I mentioned earlier owned by his cousin. We NEVER paid for range time, and never had to worry about getting flagged by some idiot with no awareness of muzzle safety.

In March I went on a winter camping trip with my brother-in-law to a piece of private property in West VA - the whole point was to have a guy's weekend of shooting. That was a good time, but it's not something that can be done on the regular.

I think that if you live in less populated areas of the state, a person can probably set something up on their own private property provided that it meets the guidelines of what you have to do in order to have a personal range. That's actually a goal of mine for my retirement years - it would be awesome to be able to step outside and do my own thing with shooting without having to drive to the range, wait around waiting for a lane to open up, and then being limited to have to pay for shooting paper hanging from a clip. It can keep the skills going, but it's not a lot of fun compared to how I grew up.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where do you live?
    If you find it boring, you need to rotate what you bring to the range from your 20+ firearms you have.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Growing up, I did not have it quite as good as you Trickg but it was pretty good. Ranges are indeed boring. Indoor ranges all the more so. PA has a bunch of outdoor ranges open to the public including out of staters. Fee is ~ $30 for the year. A bit of a drive but it's a relatively nice drive and if items that are verboten to purchase in Merryland are needed that's bonus.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Look up your old buddy ?

********8************

But seriously , this comes up every couple of months , and the desire for this is exponentially larger than the availability .

Most of Maryland is densely populated , frequently has local regulations , and usually have disapproving neighbors . So unless you already have a good friend with suitable location , your next step involves a Realtor .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    20? i'm not a millionaire! only got a couple

I must be a multi-millionaire! But I'm not. Guns and ammo instead of some other things. Making friends and swapping favors with shootable land instead of friends with boats or airplanes. Buying more steel targets, less pizza and beer.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    20 is a probably a rookie large number around here. Lots of unfortunate boating accidents. Should be renamed MD Boaters and Shooters.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I must be a multi-millionaire! But I'm not. Guns and ammo instead of some other things. Making friends and swapping favors with shootable land instead of friends with boats or airplanes. Buying more steel targets, less pizza and beer.

Less pizza and beer? BLASPHEMY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It was a momentary lapse. I meant fewer new shoes, yoga classes, and lattes.

****I was at a neighbors house yesterday for an HOA meetup and this lady must have several hundred pairs of shoes! She has an entire walk in closet full of shoes in boxes, on these special racks, and basically stacked floor to ceiling. Good quality shoes too - not cheap Nike's like mine that I bought on sale...

Pretty sure the retail value of all of the shoes we saw (she was very proud of her shoes!) could have bought her a couple of NFA items with money to spare!

Crazy lady!!! No NFA stuff, but hundreds of pairs of shoes to apparently go with outfits for various occasions! I'm happy shooting NFA stuff in either boots or cheap sneakers! She has lots of shoes but literally NOTHING to shoot!!!

Oh... and yes she is HOT. Crazy. But HOT. Pretty sure she does yoga as well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    ****I was at a neighbors house yesterday for an HOA meetup and this lady must have several hundred pairs of shoes! She has an entire walk in closet full of shoes in boxes, on these special racks, and basically stacked floor to ceiling. Good quality shoes too - not cheap Nike's like mine that I bought on sale...

Pretty sure the retail value of all of the shoes we saw (she was very proud of her shoes!) could have bought her a couple of NFA items with money to spare!

Crazy lady!!! No NFA stuff, but hundreds of pairs of shoes to apparently go with outfits for various occasions! I'm happy shooting NFA stuff in either boots or cheap sneakers! She has lots of shoes but literally NOTHING to shoot!!!

Oh... and yes she is HOT. Crazy. But HOT. Pretty sure she does yoga as well.

Yeah we’re gonna need pics……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Some people on here have land or have access to land that you can shoot on, but you've got to spend some time on here and make some friends first. MD is definitely not the most outdoor range friendly state.

And I agree... shooting indoors stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom