• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Last week, I took possession of a CPA Silhouette rifle. It's a .40-65 cal and top of the line. Badger half-octagon barrel, MVA Soule sight with Hadley eye cup. It originally belonged to a late family friend and shooting buddy of my father's. Dad received it from the man's estate after his death and has now passed it on to me. I'm not sure it has ever actually had more than 20 rounds through it (given that our friend passed only a year after he ordered it), and most of those I shot when I picked it up. Now, I need to get a mould, more brass, and work up a load.

For those not familiar CPA is Paul Shuttleworth's company up in PA and specializes in recreating (with a few small improvements) the Stevens Model 44 1/2 from 1902. This is a thing of beauty. Here it is next to its BPCR companion, my Pedersoli Sharps (sans Vernier sight). Also, with my Stevens Model 418 in .22lr and my great grandfather's Stevens (Savage) 311A double 16ga. I didn't really plan to be a Stevens collector (and the 311 isn't exactly what you'd call a high-end classic double), but hey.... It is what it is.
    18883c70cfe64a341b34c716f52ddd02.jpg
    0e724209245aa75750975c1d4feb66c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Congrats! The folks at CPA make very high-quality rifles.

.40-65 is a popular caliber; still, you'll likely need to run through several powder-trees to find your rifle's optimum load combination.

Bring it out to Western Maryland and the Hooligans will assist.

The BPCR matches at Shippensburg Pennsylvania will begin again in the spring of 2021. It would be good to see you and your new rifle reaching out to steel rams at 500 meters.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Congrats! The folks at CPA make very high-quality rifles.

.40-65 is a popular caliber; still, you'll likely need to run through several powder-trees to find your rifle's optimum load combination.

Bring it out to Western Maryland and the Hooligans will assist.

The BPCR matches at Shippensburg Pennsylvania will begin again in the spring of 2021. It would be good to see you and your new rifle reaching out to steel rams at 500 meters.
    My goal is to get spun up for the Shippensburg matches. I'm closer to getting my Sharps (.45-70) sorted out for silhouettes, but we'll see how the next few months go.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Absolutely gorgeous rifle and a great cartridge as well. I have been loading and casting for my Shiloh Sharps 40-65 for over a year and I found my "optimum load". 4570inMD is my "go to guy" for all things BPCR. I like the 40-65 so well that I am building a 1867 Rolling Block in the same caliber. If you need any advice, just ask.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Absolutely gorgeous rifle and a great cartridge as well. I have been loading and casting for my Shiloh Sharps 40-65 for over a year and I found my "optimum load". 4570inMD is my "go to guy" for all things BPCR. I like the 40-65 so well that I am building a 1867 Rolling Block in the same caliber. If you need any advice, just ask.
    Actually, if you have a suggestion for a starting load, I'd love to hear it. I'm thinking I'll start with the 400g Snover bullet from Lyman.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I am using a .408" 400 Grain "Money" 1-Cavity Bullet Mould with the First 2 Bands Reduced in Diameter #JIM408400M4 from Buffalo Arms. I am getting very good accuracy with 61 grains of Swiss 2F. I only use CCI BR-2 primers. Once I place my .030 Walters Wad, I compress the load and hand seat my bullet. 20:1 or even 16:1 alloy works best. I did notice that using the seating die, my bullet would get a little deformed so that is why I hand seat them. YMMV.

    

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I am using a .408" 400 Grain "Money" 1-Cavity Bullet Mould with the First 2 Bands Reduced in Diameter #JIM408400M4 from Buffalo Arms. I am getting very good accuracy with 61 grains of Swiss 2F. I only use CCI BR-2 primers. Once I place my .030 Walters Wad, I compress the load and hand seat my bullet. 20:1 or even 16:1 alloy works best. I did notice that using the seating die, my bullet would get a little deformed so that is why I hand seat them. YMMV.

    
    Great info. Thanks! What are your barrel specs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom