• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    A friend and a member here ran onto some old ammo at a sale I believe and he let a few of us dip into his pile and grab a handful or three. It was pretty cruddy with some sort of tacky gunk on most of it, bit it came off pretty easy in the tumbler. All but a few seem to be factory loads in 45ACP, 38 special, 9mm Luger, and some 38 S&W, but I found Two 45's that were definately handloads with a roll crimp.
    Now on to the question, which will be in two posts here, first I pulled the 45's with the roll crimp and the powder was multi colored tubular in shape and I wonder if anybody recognizes it from the picture?
    Oh and notice the split case too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 177

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Now question# 2
    Notice the rounded primers,is this the way primers used to be for both factory and reloading? Also, I haven't seen a new case ever with the crease in it like these, any idea when and why manufacturers went away from the crease?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 171

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Looks like a case split on the left one.
    Look below
    A friend and a member here ran onto some old ammo at a sale I believe and he let a few of us dip into his pile and grab a handful or three. It was pretty cruddy with some sort of tacky gunk on most of it, bit it came off pretty easy in the tumbler. All but a few seem to be factory loads in 45ACP, 38 special, 9mm Luger, and some 38 S&W, but I found Two 45's that were definately handloads with a roll crimp.
    Now on to the question, which will be in two posts here, first I pulled the 45's with the roll crimp and the powder was multi colored tubular in shape and I wonder if anybody recognizes it from the picture?
    Oh and notice the split case too.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That is a derp on my part. Sorry for not catching that.

I didn't notice it until all the junk got removed from the case, but I intended to pull them anyway since they were roll crimped. But I plan on shooting the others from the Ruger Blackhawk, no way I'm putting them in the 1911.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    No help but a neat story. A guy at the range had like 3 or 4 misfires in a row in his 45. Very light primer strikes and he gave them (6 or 7) to me vs. throwing away. I knew they were old but when I got home and had a closer look I saw they were from 1918. Rounded primers like yours and the cups either got harder over the years or the old 1911's struck with more force.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    No help but a neat story. A guy at the range had like 3 or 4 misfires in a row in his 45. Very light primer strikes and he gave them (6 or 7) to me vs. throwing away. I knew they were old but when I got home and had a closer look I saw they were from 1918. Rounded primers like yours and the cups either got harder over the years or the old 1911's struck with more force.

They look to be seated pretty deep too so hopefully the Blackhawk will touch them off, if not I'll pull them.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Do you mind if they are corrosive? They have that look to them.

Well I guess I could pee on my Blackhawk after I'm done shooting them, but I'd prefer not to if I can help it.:lol2:
    But you do make a good point about being corrosive, I would have never given it a thought.:thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've seen domed primer rounds before, and might even have a few squirreled away. But I have no idea regarding the "why" behind domed primers, in terms of why they existed or why they disappeared.

From what I've been able to gather on the web, reloading tools as recently as the 1960's have been mentioned as being supplied with both flat and domed primer punches. So it appears that domed primers were once very common. There appears to be no connection between domed primers and corrosive compound.

Hopefully someone will come along who's knowledgable on these.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Looks like Lead semi wad cutter with very dry lube. Personally I don't shoot other peoples reloads with the exception of a couple who I know and who I have reloaded with.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Looks like Lead semi wad cutter with very dry lube. Personally I don't shoot other peoples reloads with the exception of a couple who I know and who I have reloaded with.

Yes I know what bullet it is, and the reason you're seeing the components separate is because I won't shoot others either. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The cannelure in the case is to prevent the bullet from being set back. Not common, but not unknown. I have some cases like that.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Now question# 2
    Notice the rounded primers,is this the way primers used to be for both factory and reloading? Also, I haven't seen a new case ever with the crease in it like these, any idea when and why manufacturers went away from the crease?

They are called domed primers and are related to pre WWII primers.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
      P1010004.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 81

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Now question# 2
    Also, I haven't seen a new case ever with the crease in it like these, any idea when and why manufacturers went away from the crease?

The crease might have been used to prevent the bullet from setting back into the case when being loaded into the chamber. 45 ACP head spaces on the case and a roll crimp should not be used.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The crease is a canalure. They are to keep bullet from setting back. Used to be fairly common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom