• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I'm looking for some opinions on the Federal HST 147 grain 9mm that I ordered online that arrived dirty with a black substance covering parts of the bullet and the casing. The ammunition was advertised as brand new and the price was typical of other online retailers I've found. The outside of the 50 round box is very clean but the inside is also covered in what appears to be a black soot. It doesn't wipe off from the brass with my finger or finger nail. This is the first time I've ordered HST 9mm so I'm not sure if it is normal or not. I've ordered .40 HST in the past from a different retailer and that ammunition is very clean.

I haven't had a chance to shoot any of these rounds but it concerns me a little since these are for defensive purposes. Has anyone else had their ammunition look like this?

Attachments

• HTS 9mm.jpg
      HTS 9mm.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 1,156

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Was it from Bonefrog?

Even in his pictures the cases look extra dirty.

I don't think it really affects anything and if it wipes off I'd just clean it up, fire a few rounds, and go from there.

I would expect cleaner cases from a high end SD round like that. But to be honest my 124 +P Gold Dots had a lot more filth on the cases then I'd expect and much more compared to the Winchester Range ammo I fire in .40 routinely.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did order through Bone Frog like you guessed. I didn't notice they looked dirty in their website picture until I just went back to check. I'll probably try cleaning some of them with scotchbrite and see if the dirt comes off. I guess I was just expecting higher quality but can't complain too much since this ammo is so hard to find right now.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    It almost looks like it was stored in a humid or damp environment for a little bit.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Do you think the high humidity or water damage might affect the reliability of the rounds? I'm not as concerned about the outside as long as the reliability hasn't been compromised. I might call Federal tomorrow morning and get their opinion.

Do you know another vendor that has the 50 round boxes of the standard 147 9mm? I've found a place or two that have the +P but I'm looking for the standard pressure version.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    most all my HST is very shiny. That said, I have had defensive ammo that was gross looking, and it functions fine.

As long as you can't feel the corrosion, and it is just discoloration, it will be fine.

I am a big big fan of HST after testing on a gigantic flexible gumby, among other things. Leaves a perfect corkscrew widening scoop, with the most uniform expansion ever next to hornady XTP (which do not expand very large, but damn are they uniform)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Black soot on the inside of the packaging and on the rounds??

Possible smoke damage? Some stores that have had fire/smoke damage will sell off their inventories at significant discounts, may be a possible explanation.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Federal's customer service agreed that something was not right with the ammunition and had UPS pick them up this week. They are going to replace all of the rounds if they have enough in stock or reimburse me if they don't have the stock.

Do you think I should leave negative feedback on Bonefrog's website?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Federal's customer service agreed that something was not right with the ammunition and had UPS pick them up this week. They are going to replace all of the rounds if they have enough in stock or reimburse me if they don't have the stock.

Do you think I should leave negative feedback on Bonefrog's website?
    That's between Federal and BoneFrog.

I don't know that I'd be ordering through BF again was I you.

Edited to add...if you gave BF a chance to explain AND make it right, AND they didn't, then my above counsel applies.

Last edited:

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    This was the first and last time I'll order from Bonefrog. I'm just debating about putting a review on the site to warn others about this ammunition to save them the same headache.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Ordered from BF in the past and had no issues, maybe they got a bad batch from Federal. If Federal is taking care of it, it's been fixed. No need to bust on the middleman.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I've been through a few boxes of HST's and they've never looked like that.

There may well be no issue with them, but I wouldn't trust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom