• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    If you don't own or have access to a Ransom rest, what is the best way to benchrest a revolver or semi-auto for accuracy?
    Please be specific as to what apparatus or what type of sandbags you use.
    Any difference for revolvers or semi-autos or heavy recoiling guns vs. lighter recoiling guns?
    Thanks.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Of course, the best option is a dedicated pistol stand. But, for a one-time shoot, try a hobby vice with rubber inserts for the jaws. Very useful around the house when not doing pistol support duty. About $45 at your local Sears and it even has a sucker gizmo on the base that'll allow you to affix it to a smooth bench-top. Also works to secure one end of a rifle during field stripping/maintenance.
    vice_0403.JPG

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gun held in your two hands. Wrists resting upon sandbags, no contact between actual gun and sandbag. Most commonly seem is 25 lb lead shot bag refilled with sand. But seriously the specifics are not critical.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Gun held in your two hands. Wrists resting upon sandbags, no contact between actual gun and sandbag. Most commonly seem is 25 lb lead shot bag refilled with sand. But seriously the specifics are not critical.

I like this method and have used it several times with good success. I mainly want to see where the pistol is grouping and then make the appropriate change. Found a few weeks ago that the Colt King Cobra, which is on standby for HD, needed considerable adjustment to make it accurate.

Lew--Ranger63

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There you go talking about that Colt again. :D

(I of course aspire to eventually get a Cobra or Python in 357, one of these days)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom