• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Consensus seems to be that a good first 1911 is:
    1. Springfield Range Officer
    2. Ruger SR1911
    3. Remington R1 Enhanced

In that order. Am I missing anything in that price range? I would love a Springfield MC Operator but it is too expensive. I could buy 1 and 2 above for almost the same price. I'm also thinking about the Commander version of each but I'm not sure what the trade offs would be. I'm used to dummy proof Glocks so a 1911 is a little intimidating.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    From that list ranger officer.

I would look at american classic and RIA as very strong budget choices as well.

I had a springfield that was ok. I recently got a Sistema that i LOVE but i did put some work into it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you're looking at a gun primarily for target shooting, I highly recommend the Range Officer. I love mine. It's extremely accurate and the trigger is great right from the factory.

8304155945_a638c3d49c_z.jpg

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The S/A is made in Brazil

I'll expand on this, since it seems to be a point of contention for some over SA 1911s. The Springfield frames are all made in Brazil, but not all the 1911s are actually built there. In the case of the Range Officer, they all have an NM prefix which denotes a US built gun. So while the frame and some parts are made in Brazil, the gun is fitted and assembled in the US.

The Range Officer is a lot of gun for the money.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'll expand on this, since it seems to be a point of contention for some over SA 1911s. The Springfield frames are all made in Brazil, but not all the 1911s are actually built there. In the case of the Range Officer, they all have an NM prefix which denotes a US built gun. So while the frame and some parts are made in Brazil, the gun is fitted and assembled in the US.

The Range Officer is a lot of gun for the money.
    Sorry Z, I took the lazy way to describe. Actually, the frame, barrel and slide are all pressed in the forges of Brazil. NM markings indicate that >50% of the product was then fitted in Il. USA. The roll markings would then have an Geneseo, Illinois USA, instead of INEB, Brazil. I don't mean to discourage the OP from buying a S/A. I was just trying to help inform him on his dicission. Springfield Arms 1911A1's are in fact, outstanding. They're just not 100% American made. Some people want that. Honestly, I lean closer towards the S/A. I like forged parts, better than MIM parts.
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...l-Number-Prefix-and-Where-the-Pistol-is-Made&

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I used to own the first two in your list. My choice this time around would be Remington R1 (standard, not enhanced).

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    It is not on your list and if you look around should be able find one close to you budget, S&W E series. It has run 100% for me, outstanding factory trigger. Couple folks who have fondled have been very impressed. Couple years ago w/ my free state membership had them clean as it was included with the membership so took advantage. Smith came out a said it was the first e series he had taken down aND was very impressed. Finish and machining are that of much higher priced example.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I've had a Springfield 1911 for several years, love it. Shoots better than me and eats everything I put in it

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    I have the Springfield TRP. It is not a budget 1911 though. I guess you can call it a semi custom. Some of the parts are made out of country but custom fitted here by Springfields gun smiths. At least that's what I have read about. Excellent shooting forearm.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Since you mentioned it I'll recommend a Remington R1 Carry Commander. It is well balanced, beautiful, and has been "fool proof" and accurate for me. I have had it for not quite 2 years. I recently read the difference in accuracy between the Commander and Full Size is negligible. Plus the Commander is dehorned. Either way it beats the snot out of the full size Kimber Target II it replaced - and I liked that pistol.

Here is an old NRA article on it. http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/5/27/remington-r1-carry-commander/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom