• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have been given a bayonet that belonged to my grandfather and have no. Clue what it is from. Anyone have any ideas? It says "SA" on one side and "US" with a serial number in the other side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      108.9 KB · Views: 175

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    And yeah I know I have funny looking feet. This thing has seen it's better days but it is neat to have what appears to be a United States bayonet from a service rifle.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Looks like an m1905 bayonet for the m1903 rifle (and later the Garand) to me. "SA" being for Springfield Armory.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Here are two m1905s I have for comparison...an early 1908 dated SA with a bright blade and a 1918 dated SA with the later blued blade. I think that's what you have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 158

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, at the time of production the M1903 would have been the only rifle that could take that bayonet.

Are the grips wood or plastic? Originally they would have been wood.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A friend of mine has an original M1905 bayonet with leather covered scabbard and wood grips. The interesting part of it however is that it does not fit the M1. The wood grips are a little too fat on the top. While that's not a problem for the 03, the stick a bit too high for the gas tube of the M1. That means that the bayonet was never attached to an M1 and probably did not stick around in the military long enough to be.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Interesting. My grandfather never owned either rifle so it's wierd that he would have it. Must have picked it up somewhere. He did leave me a 760 game master that has never been fired. That's a sweet piece.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Never know what you'll learn reading this forum! I have a similar one that I inherited but it looked shorter than the ones posted above. Turns out that mine is a post-1943 M1905E1 'M1 Bayonet' which is a 10" version of the 16" M1905.

bossmanpj - wikipedia has some more back information on the blades if you are curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1905_bayonet

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom