• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Horrible.
    The story states he was texting with his 3 year old during previews. How the hell does that even remotely disturb anyone to any extent, let alone cold blooded murder?
    I hope the shooter winds up suffering in general population for this. Pure evil.

X2

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Maybe you also missed the part where he didn't start the argument. The deceased did. The old guy went to management to correct the situation and the dead guy started the argument when he sat back down.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ummm... no. You don't have to get your ass beat first. That's where the " in fear if great harm" comes into play.
    Maybe you all missed the part in the articles that says the wife was wounded because she had placed her hand on her husband's chest in a way that indicates she was trying to restrain him. This could indicate that he was going after the old guy. If a 70 something guy is up against an aggressive 20 something, testosterone laden young man, he may be well within his right to defend himself before being beat to a pulp.
    Its time to drop the "killed someone over texting" crap and look at the rest of the details.

It also could indicate that you need to work on reading comprehension.

Oulson was fatally wounded. His wife was hit, too, through the hand as she raised her hand in front of her husband as the shooter drew a handgun.

The way I read that, the wife was actually trying to protect her husband as the shooter was drawing, not restrain her husband from going after the guy.

While it is against the rules to text in the theater, it is also against the rules to bring a weapon into the theater. The retired LEO was violating the rules even before the guy was texting on the cell phone. The retired LEO violated the rules as soon as he set foot in the theater with a firearm. So ironic that he was up in arms about somebody violating the rules for texting when he himself had already violated the rules.

Just so sad that this could have been de-escalated on so many levels before the unthinkable happened.

What ever happened to the days of good old fist fights where both sides got to walk away from the incident. Guess those fist fights went too far, somebody died, and now everybody feels the need to shoot first, ask questions later. Can't even get into a food fight without fear of getting shot.

"I got mash potatoes in my eye and couldn't see. I feared for my life and cut loose your Honor because I didn't know if the corn cob was going to kill me."

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ummm... no. You don't have to get your ass beat first. That's where the " in fear if great harm" comes into play.
    Maybe you all missed the part in the articles that says the wife was wounded because she had placed her hand on her husband's chest in a way that indicates she was trying to restrain him. This could indicate that he was going after the old guy. If a 70 something guy is up against an aggressive 20 something, testosterone laden young man, he may be well within his right to defend himself before being beat to a pulp.
    Its time to drop the "killed someone over texting" crap and look at the rest of the details.

What are the rest of the details?

That Oulson told the retired LEO that he was just texting his young daughter? Ah, so the retired LEO knew he was killing a father and leaving a young girl without a father.

What other detail? Was the retired LEO actually struck by a fist? By any object other than popcorn? Last I checked, shooting somebody to death over a shouting match was not self defense. Shooting somebody because they "might" punch you is not self defense. You have to be in fear for your life or receiving great bodily harm. Based upon what is written in that article, how could the retired LEO have been in fear of losing his life or of receiving great bodily harm?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Maybe, but the victim didn't appear to be a 20 something hell raiser http://www.heavy.com/news/2014/01/chad-olsen-florida-movie-theater-shooting-curtis-reeves/
    And maybe the shooter was older and had a chip on his shoulder and felt the need to prove he was still 100% man with the biggest swingin' d1ck in the room. I have met plenty of these types. Maybe?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Maybe you also missed the part where he didn't start the argument. The deceased did. The old guy went to management to correct the situation and the dead guy started the argument when he sat back down.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

As a male moviegoer texted, the man seated behind him objected, and asked the texter to put his phone away.

They argued several times, according to police and witnesses, and the man who was texting watched as the other man walked out of the theater. Curtis Reeves, a retired police officer, apparently went seeking a theater employee to complain about the texting, police said.

Seems as though the retired LEO started it and when Oulson would not stop the retired LEO went to find a theater employee. At least that is how I read it.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Hey, I'm in no way defending the d guy's action. I'm just cutting out another angle to look at it from, so no need for the personal attacks. Personally I believe the retire LEO foucked up. He was trained to descalate such situations and fail the test.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Seems as though the retired LEO started it and when Oulson would not stop the retired LEO went to find a theater employee. At least that is how I read it.

Good try but no prize. His action of going to management would in reality been the proper one. The argument was started by the deceased when he returned.

fav453

May 29, 2013
    Essex
    I'm sorry if you start an argument and I'm sure cuss out someone you deserve to die? I don't think so. I think we don't know what was said by the deceased but no matter what he said he didn't deserve to die. There are so many things the shooter could have done to de escalate the situation, move seats, wait for management, call the police if he felt threatened. Now of course this is Florida so I wouldn't be surprised if the shooter walks...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hey, I'm in no way defending the d guy's action. I'm just cutting out another angle to look at it from, so no need for the personal attacks. Personally I believe the retire LEO foucked up. He was trained to descalate such situations and fail the test.

There is no personal attack. Based upon what was written, you are reading it/interpreting it in some manner that you want to in order to make your side of the argument. The retired LEO was charged with 2nd degree murder and there isn't a single fact in the article that leads me to believe that the charge was incorrect. However, we all know that the article does not even cover a sliver of the facts, but you would think the victim throwing a punch would have been reported. The retired LEO taking a beating probably would have been covered. Remember, this is Florida where stand your ground is good and shooting somebody isn't really frowned upon unless you had no reason to do so.

End of the day, this thing needs to go to trial at this point. In hindsight, this never should have happened. Nobody should be shot over an argument that is started because of texting in a movie theater. Both sides could have resolved this easily, but I bet testosterone took over and both had to be right. Throwing popcorn like a bunch of kids. However, shooting somebody over this is really insane. I can only hope that the retired LEO had a legitimate reason for doing so. However, to shoot the man and then sit down with the gun in his lap... WOW.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Good try but no prize. His action of going to management would in reality been the proper one. The argument was started by the deceased when he returned.

Quote me language showing that the argument was started by the deceased? Show me where the deceased approached the retired LEO and started the argument. Show me where the deceased got out of his seat and approached the retired LEO. Show me where a man texting his young daughter got out of his seat to approach the retired LEO and start a conflict with the retired LEO because he himself was texting his young daughter.

I know this is hard to comprehend, but the retired LEO approached the deceased, asked him to stop texting during the PREVIEWS and when the deceased did not comply the retired LEO left and went to go get a theater employee. Not finding a theater employee, the retired LEO came back to the theater. Now, who approached who at this point is tough to tell, but I doubt the retired LEO went to sit down somewhere else in the theater since it appears the entire thing, beginning to end, took place in front of the same witnesses, the Cummings.

Nah, my "attempt" was spectacular, but I would love to read the police report on this one before coming to a semi-final conclusion.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I consider this generational clash. I am sorry some older members of society tend to forget, 'respect your elders" went away some time ago. Now as for pulling a gun over texting in the movie theater during previews, I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for his age and possible onset of dementia/senility/alzheimers, then throw in possible old eye sight.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'd like to see the police report too along with any Witt ESS statements. You keep alluding to " the article" you read. I read articles in MSNBC, FOX news CNN and a Couple of Florida based local papers. Read more than one article and you'll note varying information. You have to Google these sources yourself as I don't run errands.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I used the phrase "starting a conflict" vs. "starting an argument " for a reason. Retired LEO says "stop texting". Father says "Mind your own business". The argument part starts when Retired LEO engages again verbally rather than getting a movie usher to intervene.

We should watch this case carefully. It is a real life instruction/lesson for all CC permit holders. It will likely touch off another Stand Your Ground protest or legislative challenge.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I am very sad for the victim and his family, not to mention horrified for the other moviegoers.

As with all such media outrage cases, I can almost guarantee you that there are enough details missing from the early reporting of this story to make understanding it impossible. Give the police time to do their jobs. Don't jump to conclusions. Be patient.

Was the shooter mentally ill? Was he carrying legally? Details like these can totally change how people will react to the situation.

The gun control crowd will jump all over this, which is fine. When the details come out, they will likely have made themselves look stupid.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Horrible.
    The story states he was texting with his 3 year old during previews. How the hell does that even remotely disturb anyone to any extent, let alone cold blooded murder?
    I hope the shooter winds up suffering in general population for this. Pure evil.
    NOTE: I DO NOT CONDONE SHOOTING TEXTERS IN THEATERS.

I despise people texting or talking in movie theaters. I think it's incredibly rude to have a bright shining in a dark theater. Maybe it's because I do not text, but I do talk on cell phones and would never do that in a theater.

REPEAT: I DO NOT CONDONE SHOOTING TEXTERS IN THEATERS.

Not that I haven't dreamed about it. :D

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm more disturb wondering how a 3 year old is even texting?

Me too. Three year olds should be Face Timing since they can't spell yet.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

From the article:
    His wife was hit, too, through the hand as she raised her hand in front of her husband as the shooter drew a handgun.

How much you bet that the wife's raising of her hand was viewed as aggression by the shooter? Maybe he thought it was the guy raising his hand. I'm certainly not standing up for the guy I just doubt that he executed the deceased for texting.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    NOTE: I DO NOT CONDONE SHOOTING TEXTERS IN THEATERS.

I despise people texting or talking in movie theaters. I think it's incredibly rude to have a bright shining in a dark theater. Maybe it's because I do not text, but I do talk on cell phones and would never do that in a theater.

REPEAT: I DO NOT CONDONE SHOOTING TEXTERS IN THEATERS.

Not that I haven't dreamed about it. :D

So you're saying you would shoot someone for texting in a theater?!

sorry, I felt like agitating. ;)

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I don't read this the same as most. I see someone asking a rude individual to behave a bit more respectfully. Then it excalates to a gun fight. N0 details were given about what was said or what was threatened. It is possible that this was legitimate self defense. Too bad we'll never know the disposition of this case. Once the anti-gun shine has worn off, it's not worth reporting.

I tend to agree. It sounds like the wife was attempting to restrain her husband (hands on him) when he was shot. The retired cop may have felt his life in danger if there were verbal threats followed by an attempt to come over the seats to fulfill them.

Too many facts left out of the story and I assume the ex-cop kept his mouth shut and lawyered up as he should. It will be interesting to see what comes out in court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom