• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I picked up a Beretta 96 in a recent trade, and I figured I may as well load for it along with 9mm and .357 Mag. I'm aware of the brass damage some guns (i.e. Glock) do due to unsupported chambers, I don't plan on using random range brass because of this. I'll be casting lead bullets for it for the most part. Does anyone have a pet load for the 40? I've got some Titegroup on hand, I figure that should be a decent powder for light cast loads, but I haven't found any good data for it yet. Any tips or advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My .40 S&W loads are intended for my guns that eat that caliber. For now they're both Hi-Points: a JCP-40 and a 4095 Carbine. They shoot my loads flawlessly. However, take my reload info FWIW to you.

I find an endless supply of random, and free, range cases every time I go. I closely inspect the cases and cull any garbage. Most of my .40 reloads are built from fully re-sized range brass. Personally I've never experienced the "problem Glock type cases" I've read about. Perhaps the folks that leave brass I pick up don't shoot Glocks?

I've used Berry's plated bullets of various weights, but (most often) home cast boolits using this Lee mold: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=224761

My "go-to" load with the home cast boolits is 5.2 of Unique. It's light, but snappy. It works well in my HPs. My loads for plated bullets vary depending on the bullet weight - still with Unique.

Unique powder can be "sooty" in pistol loads. But my hands get dirty at the range anyway so no biggie. Unique has successfully sent thousands of my hand loaded bullets downrange over the years. No reason to change now.

No matter what, you need to work up and prove loads for your firearm. I know what works in mine, and I don't know what works in yours...

Good luck and be safe.
    :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    40 is a hot little cartridge, and lead loads are a bit tough to get to shoot clean. I load 180gr plated bullets with 4.5gr of bullseye for light minor power loads at about 800fps, they recoil softer than most 9mm. For full power barnburners, I load 165gr XTPs to about 1,200fps with 8gr of longshot.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    I guess if you're shooting competition (IDPA, IPSC, etc), then there's a good reason to shoot heavy bullets fast. If you're not competing, I'd say work up a load that reliably functions the slide in hot AND cold weather, and go with it. You save on bullets (lighter bullets usually cost less in bulk), and definitely save on powder. Some might scoff at the savings (when a pound of powder will load over a thousand rounds), but if you do volume shooting, it adds up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've seen some of the other shooters at one of the matches I attend have issues with steel plates and the 9mms they're using. Most are running 115gr FMJs. With the 165gr bullets, I have no problem knocking down the plates at 10 yards (when I hit them) and the recoil impulse is about the same as the lighter weight 9mm loads.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom