• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    First morning of VA youth hunting weekend. 45° and very foggy.

My daughter and I are in a bix stand watching a field. A ballsy squirrel tried to join us.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Watched w fawn attempt to nurse from a button buck. Button almost fell over. Looked like fawn was eating his arse. I was trying not to laugh too loud. Nothing but dink team today. Biggest one was a spike that was only a little bigger than his button brother.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am still seeing plenty here. I got my venison back from the butcher. A chance that’ll be it for me this season. Or at least the last one here. If I’ve got the time, and I think I will this year, I’ll spend a few days on public land (or private if anyone wants to invite me :-), not seriously looking for invites. Not actually in need, but I won’t say no either unless schedules don’t line up). Likely going to need to donate to friends and family for any more.

This one was maybe 30-35lbs back. I didn’t actually weigh it this time. But I checked my freezers and I’ve gotta have at least 50lbs, probably more like 60lbs left from last season. I guess that’s what happens when you harvest two big does and then get a good sized roadkill doe in March on top of some venison still from the previous season.

That said, I am going to try to eat through at lot between now and mid November. See if I can free up enough space I can feel good about harvesting another deer without NEEDING to donate any. Not that I don’t enjoy gifting venison to friends and family. But it feels like more of a purpose when I am hunting to feed myself, wife and kids.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Went down and hunted for Sika at Blackwater Friday and Saturday. Saw some good action, passed on tall 4 Friday afternoon bc I thought had a decent 6 that was out of bow range and never came. Ended up taking a decently tall spike Saturday morning. Will be delicious and fun two days.

Last edited:

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Caught this guy on Friday, had fresh backstrap for lunch on the grill Saturday. This year has been busy and I’m grateful to get out in the woods at all. Hopefully stack up one or two more soon. That crossbow has killed more deer than any rifle I own.

Attachments

• B306D9D4-0BB7-42B5-9680-E81254A380D6.jpeg
      B306D9D4-0BB7-42B5-9680-E81254A380D6.jpeg
      87.3 KB · Views: 324

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Caught this guy on Friday, had fresh backstrap for lunch on the grill Saturday. This year has been busy and I’m grateful to get out in the woods at all. Hopefully stack up one or two more soon. That crossbow has killed more deer than any rifle I own.

Congrats - Great "catch"! :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Mine too. But I also dislike pointy stick hunting the most. Go figure :lol:

But nice harvest there.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thought I made a good shot on a doe tonight. But I got up too early to check my arrow and watched her run off.

Then there was only a little blood on the arrow, and only a handful of spots near where she lay down. Guessing a low probability that we're successful in our search tomorrow.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No bueno on the doe from last night. She laid down once after 100 yards. Then not a drop anywhere.

Hit a forked buck in the right spot at 15 yards this morning. Didn't have to look long for him.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    My son got two does today with a crossbow. First doe at 730AM from tree stand using an Excalibur crossbow. He skinned it and hung it in cooler. Went back out this evening and at dark got another big doe. He is trying to stock up on meat because of the high meat prices and feeding his four younger kids and wife. They all love deer meat

Attachments

• imageRyanCBdeer(51).jpg
      imageRyanCBdeer(51).jpg
      69.8 KB · Views: 266

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My son got two does today with a crossbow. First doe at 730AM from tree stand using an Excalibur crossbow. He skinned it and hung it in cooler. Went back out this evening and at dark got another big doe. He is trying to stock up on meat because of the high meat prices and feeding his four younger kids and wife. They all love deer meat
    Nice tracking job. Congrats on the filled freezer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Trash In The Woods

I usually prepare for deer season by walking the woods for sign and trails on Public Lands. Well, I came across a pile of wrappers, Gatorade bottles, and various trash. It was right under where someone who had a deer stand and the marks on the tree were fresh. I picked up all the trash and was so pissed I bought a game camera with cell phone. I put in a spot where it cannot be detected. I want to catch this idiot so bad.

I grew up respecting nature and all its beauty and was to taught leave no sign. It really pisses me off that so called hunters can be so disrespectful. I also picked up 6 -1/2 pint whiskey bottles, beer cans, and various other cans and bottles while walking. Who ever you are you will get caught and if I find you I will post on every social media site your picture and provide DNR with the pictures too. Idiots who do this type of disrespect ruin for others.

Last year I found evidence of someone hunting on Public Land hunting over bait. Notified DNR and the Officer came on site and I showed him the location.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I usually prepare for deer season by walking the woods for sign and trails on Public Lands. Well, I came across a pile of wrappers, Gatorade bottles, and various trash. It was right under where someone who had a deer stand and the marks on the tree were fresh. I picked up all the trash and was so pissed I bought a game camera with cell phone. I put in a spot where it cannot be detected. I want to catch this idiot so bad.

I grew up respecting nature and all its beauty and was to taught leave no sign. It really pisses me off that so called hunters can be so disrespectful. I also picked up 6 -1/2 pint whiskey bottles, beer cans, and various other cans and bottles while walking. Who ever you are you will get caught and if I find you I will post on every social media site your picture and provide DNR with the pictures too. Idiots who do this type of disrespect ruin for others.

Last year I found evidence of someone hunting on Public Land hunting over bait. Notified DNR and the Officer came on site and I showed him the location.

If that gets you pissed off, look for spilled corn on the side of the road that magically appears after the corns already been cut off for a couple of weeks.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    This one is a story and a half.
    I mentioned in the last post I have little to no time to hunt this year, but God works in mysterious ways. I was just waking up hanging out with my 3 month old on the bed when my wife walks in and says it’s time to change him. I stand up to go do it and just then I see movement out of my window. 2 does just inside the treeline behind my carport. In just my pajamas I grab the first set of shoes I find (boat shoes) and quietly make my way to the door. I go the long way around my driveway to the carport (which is where my crossbow was, they were 25 yds from the carport) and cock and load the bow. I threw on my rangefinder/binocular chest harness and start putting a stalk on these two does. At this point they are 40 yds and I use my camper as cover to get to 25yds (I was thinking “what if they see my feet under the camper” and thought of Jeremiah Johnson (a deer doesn’t know how many legs a camper has). I get set up and take a thirty yard shot. This is how I managed a deer before breakfast in PJs and boat shoes. I had her butchered and hanging in my fridge before lunch.

Attachments

• C72B8733-475B-425C-B8BC-4B7AC2C92092.jpg
      C72B8733-475B-425C-B8BC-4B7AC2C92092.jpg
      121.1 KB · Views: 201

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I mentioned in the last post I have little to no time to hunt this year, but God works in mysterious ways. I was just waking up hanging out with my 3 month old on the bed when my wife walks in and says it’s time to change him. I stand up to go do it and just then I see movement out of my window. 2 does just inside the treeline behind my carport. In just my pajamas I grab the first set of shoes I find (boat shoes) and quietly make my way to the door. I go the long way around my driveway to the carport (which is where my crossbow was, they were 25 yds from the carport) and cock and load the bow. I threw on my rangefinder/binocular chest harness and start putting a stalk on these two does. At this point they are 40 yds and I use my camper as cover to get to 25yds (I was thinking “what if they see my feet under the camper” and thought of Jeremiah Johnson (a deer doesn’t know how many legs a camper has). I get set up and take a thirty yard shot. This is how I managed a deer before breakfast in PJs and boat shoes. I had her butchered and hanging in my fridge before lunch.

I think the only thing that could top that one is taking one while on the sh**ter !

Good job and great story :thumbsup:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

So you made your wife change the kid ? Shame on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom