Are you allowed to lend a gun to a friend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I leave the key under the mat and the safes open. My friends that know where I live can borrow whatever they want. As long as they, sign a waiver, ask permission, are not a felon or fugitive from justice, are not considered mentally deficient, are not a habitual drunkard and/or drug user, my wife says it's ok, and no one is in immanent danger from said borrower.

Lighten up guys. It's up to the individual to make the decision. Laws blah blah blah. I'd let my BIL borrow a pistol if he needed it for some odd reason. Not everyone has malintent.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Not everyone has malintent.

Absolutely true! But in Maryland it's worth doing the intellectual exercise to understand the fallout, if any, of any gun-changing-hands scenario. Because it's Maryland, and they make the stakes pretty high if something goes wrong.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Absolutely true! But in Maryland it's worth doing the intellectual exercise to understand the fallout, if any, of any gun-changing-hands scenario. Because it's Maryland, and they make the stakes pretty high if something goes wrong.

BGOS

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Personally, I have a LOT to lose if I get anywhere near criminal prosecution or legal entanglements even close to that. Many people do. For a lot of people in the Maryland 'burbs, just crossing paths with law enforcement - no matter how it ultimately turns out - can be the end of their career, because their career, for example, depends on their security clearance. Contemplating that is a good exercise. Doesn't drive every gun-loaning decision, but knowing where the mines are in the Maryland minefield is just sensible. That's not SUPPORTING Maryland's law, it's being aware of where the cliffs are and not jumping off one for the wrong reasons.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I have a LOT to lose if I get anywhere near criminal prosecution or legal entanglements even close to that. Many people do. For a lot of people in the Maryland 'burbs, just crossing paths with law enforcement - no matter how it ultimately turns out - can be the end of their career, because their career, for example, depends on their security clearance. Contemplating that is a good exercise. Doesn't drive every gun-loaning decision, but knowing where the mines are in the Maryland minefield is just sensible. That's not SUPPORTING Maryland's law, it's being aware of where the cliffs are and not jumping off one for the wrong reasons.

THIS ^^^^^^

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I will be dammed before I let the state dictate how I lend my property out. I would only lend guns to people I trust with my life, don't really care what the state has to say, and if they use it for self defense, I already know they had a good reason to do so.

IDGAF if it's legal or not.

IANAL, YMMV, etc etc see disclaimer below.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at post # 122 & fallout :

Knowing and understanding Law ( and Case Law ) isn't BGOS .

Not knowing and guessing from rumors and folklore is .

Knowing , and doing or recommending a more circumspect path might or might not be BGOS , on case by case basis .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I thought the past few times we testified in Annapolis against the long gun transfer bill (especially when it still had the loan prohibition in it), one of MSI's arguments against it was that it would regulate and restrict long guns more than handguns already were. They said (I believe based on Chow) that it was legal to lend a handgun (to a non prohibited person), but, under this law, not a shotgun. :shrug:

I don't know where exactly a NAL type could find that in black and white, as (as previously mentioned) laws typically spell out what you aren't allowed to do, not what you are.

I did a search for, "legal to lend handgun Maryland," and found a lot of outdated and vague information. It did lead me to MSI's 2019 FAQ regarding HB96 which includes a link the bill (showing the proposed changes to existing law.

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/172-2019-maryland-gun-bills-faq

Honestly, right now I just don't have the mental fortitude (sleepless night, headache, and I think I'm getting a damned ear infection :( ) to wade through all of that myself...but maybe someone with time and energy could find some answers there? :shrug:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I will be dammed before I let the state dictate how I lend my property out. I would only lend guns to people I trust with my life, don't really care what the state has to say, and if they use it for self defense, I already know they had a good reason to do so.

IDGAF if it's legal or not.

IANAL, YMMV, etc etc see disclaimer below.

Some things we do and just STFU about. We aren’t obligated to follow unconstitutional laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom