• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Short story for illustration. Years ago, late 90’s a friend and I were on the AGC pistol range. Middle aged woman walks up to the podium next to my friend, pulls a revolver out of a bag, fires one full cylinder at someone else’s target. Returned the revolver to her bag and walked off. My friend went to get RSO attention, but she was gone like that. Guess she wanted to insure it worked. :(
    Point is in that short a time she could have walked off with a firearm, if we were down range. I think this would be easier too on the pistol range. Rifle range seems to have more eyes moving around.

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    MD
    I leave the firearms on the bench at TMGN. Never had a problem. Seriously! Grab a cardboard backer when you get there, and all the target changing happens right in front of you. If you suck at basketball (I’m guilty) and need to throw a target in the trash can, it’s like 5 steps away. If I want to leave to piss or something, I tell the RSO, and they keep an eye on my stuff.

+1 for TMGN

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I remove the bolt or BCG (and put a chamber flag in for good measure) of the firearm on the bench with the other(s) locked in the trunk until ready to use them. It's not unusual that the ranges at DSA are empty during mornings Tues-Thurs but I still do the same procedure when I change out targets in the event someone arrives while I'm down range.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Yep!

And maybe I have a wild imagination. But the last place I want to be is 200 yards downrange, with my rifle and ammo readily available to be either stolen.....or even used. There's no shortage of whackadoodles.

I can't access a link at present to the AGC Range Rules to verify, but I'm pretty sure that those lockers on the 200 yard range are a requirement for use, in situations where firearms would otherwise be left unattended. Someone will probably be along to confirm or refute.

This. Was shooting alone on the 100 yd range when one guy showed up. He was sitting a few lanes away looking at his phone. He didn't have any gear with him.

Something about him made my Spidey senses tingle. Rather than going downrange, I started stripping my gun and cleaning it.

After about 5 mins of this, he upped and left.

Super suspicious.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This. Was shooting alone on the 100 yd range when one guy showed up. He was sitting a few lanes away looking at his phone. He didn't have any gear with him.

Something about him made my Spidey senses tingle. Rather than going downrange, I started stripping my gun and cleaning it.

After about 5 mins of this, he upped and left.

Super suspicious.

I saw something similar once last year at the 100yd with someone just showing up to watch for a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom