• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’ve searched at least three (3) threads wo any success so, here goes:

CAN ANYONE (fidelity?) DEFINITIVELY TELL ME IF *P*95 MASKS ARE AS EFFECTIVE - or not - IN FILTERING OUT WHATEVER MICRON SIZE THIS NOVEL CORONA VIRUS IS?

Background: Up until moments ago, I was operating under the assumption “ONLY” *N*95 masks are sure protection but, a family member there in MD pointed out how wrong my thinking is in that there are way, way higher levels of mask protection.

I only ASSumed I was correct in my thinking (“go only with N”) as everywhere I went Thursday, the shelves were full of “P” and completely empty, devoid and bereft of any “N”

Anyhoo, that family member is under the impression the “N”, “P” and “R” designations simply stand for how “resistant” the mask (or filter mechanism) is to “oily” vapors +/or substances (ie., as in “N for not” resistant to oily; “P for partial” resistant to oily; and “R for resistant” resistant to oily .....

Is that preceding correct?

Making things even more curious (or confusing) for me is I am STILL hearing from neighbors that there are places that have *P*95 masks on shelves but, zero, none, nada *N*95

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The most masks do is prevent you from touching your face, esp nose and mouth with your dirty hands. Any mask will do. Now, how to stop you from touching the corner of your eye?

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines

CAN ANYONE (fidelity?) DEFINITIVELY TELL ME IF *P*95 MASKS ARE AS EFFECTIVE - or not - IN FILTERING OUT WHATEVER MICRON SIZE THIS NOVEL CORONA VIRUS IS?

Background: Up until moments ago, I was operating under the assumption “ONLY” *N*95 masks are sure protection but, a family member there in MD pointed out how wrong my thinking is in that there are way, way higher levels of mask protection.

I only ASSumed I was correct in my thinking (“go only with N”) as everywhere I went Thursday, the shelves were full of “P” and completely empty, devoid and bereft of any “N”

Anyhoo, that family member is under the impression the “N”, “P” and “R” designations simply stand for how “resistant” the mask (or filter mechanism) is to “oily” vapors +/or substances (ie., as in “N for not” resistant to oily; “P for partial” resistant to oily; and “R for resistant” resistant to oily .....

Making things even more curious (or confusing) for me is I am STILL hearing from neighbors that there are places that have *P*95 masks on shelves but, zero, none, nada *N*95

The CDC provides a detailed guide for the different respirator ratings. You need to confirm collection efficiency for the masks that you have to determine what Micron size your respirator will filter ( if fitted properly). Most N95 will filter 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns but the Human coronaviruses measure between 0.1 and 0.2 micron.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/default.html

More info on fit testing.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-centers-of-expertise-us/respiratory-protection/fit-testing/

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thank you, Lucca - THAT is very helpful! (And will guide us when shopping after this latest pandemic is over; sure others will follow). We’re good for n95 masks as I type this.

Mark, one way to avoid touching your eyes is spend a year or two assigned to a Prisoner Intake Terminal (one learns very quickly to make never touching ones face a real, firm and lifelong HABIT ha-ha!)

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    A little ingenuity in Korea.... so you don't touch the elevator button. Found to be a point of high transmission.

Attachments

• 88261640_225460285292982_1767467089133568000_n.jpg
      88261640_225460285292982_1767467089133568000_n.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 232

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've been avoiding elevator buttons for decades. I use a tool, paper towel or cuff to press them. I also try to avoid door handles. Using the handicap automatic door with the back of your hand or whatever you are carrying works well.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    A little ingenuity in Korea.... so you don't touch the elevator button. Found to be a point of high transmission.

Except for the fact that the person who stuck all the toothpicks in that foam actually infected more people than the button would have. :innocent0

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    A few points:
    It doesn't matter what mask you use if the fit isn't correct. Unless you know what you are doing and how to perform a proper fit test, then you will be breathing in some amount of unfiltered air.
    Any mask has a tendency to keep you from touching your face, which is the most likely way you will infect yourself. Wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face, and don't be polite around people hacking up - leave the area immediately.

Some elevators now have buttons near the floor for you to push with your foot. I think they are being installed for ADA reasons. However, it is my strong suspicion that using those shoe push buttons can dramatically reduce the spread of disease.

I would love to see a study performed on handrails along stairs. Those are probably oozing with every bacteria/virus known to mankind.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul

A couple of peer-reviewed articles to pick through:

Assessment of a respiratory face mask for capturing air pollutants and pathogens including human influenza and rhinoviruses

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5906272/

A cluster randomized clinical trial comparing fit‐tested and non‐fit‐tested N95 respirators to medical masks to prevent respiratory virus infection in health care workers

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4941587/

The use of masks and respirators to prevent transmission of influenza: a systematic review of the scientific evidence

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5779801/

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Except for the fact that the person who stuck all the toothpicks in that foam actually infected more people than the button would have. :innocent0

Was thinking the same thing. If they washed and wore gloves, that would at least help.

Everytime I use a public restroom, I pray that someone cleaned the lever on the paper towel dispenser. I bet most are never touched by cleaning staff.

And then there are the restrooms where you cannot leave without touching the door handle that everyone else touches, whether they washed their hands or not. I've started saving a paper towel just for them. Its best when there is a trash can immediately adjacent to the door to dispose of that towel, but not all traffic arraignments allow such.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Was thinking the same thing. If they washed and wore gloves, that would at least help.

Everytime I use a public restroom, I pray that someone cleaned the lever on the paper towel dispenser. I bet most are never touched by cleaning staff.

And then there are the restrooms where you cannot leave without touching the door handle that everyone else touches, whether they washed their hands or not. I've started saving a paper towel just for them. Its best when there is a trash can immediately adjacent to the door to dispose of that towel, but not all traffic arraignments allow such.

I work the paper towel lever before I wash my hands. Wash up then grab the hanging paper...

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Thank you, Lucca - THAT is very helpful! (And will guide us when shopping after this latest pandemic is over; sure others will follow). We’re good for n95 masks as I type this.

Mark, one way to avoid touching your eyes is spend a year or two assigned to a Prisoner Intake Terminal (one learns very quickly to make never touching ones face a real, firm and lifelong HABIT ha-ha!)

Something else to consider is that N95 face masks offer no eye protection against airborne mucus droplets and there is no way to sterilize them after use.
    Better options would be a full face respirator or combination of non ventilated safety goggles and a 1/2 face respirator. There are a variety of replacement cartridges available for these but the OV rated P100's also protect against mace and tear gas. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0119.html

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I’m still going with a handkerchief soaked in bourbon, and held up to me face.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    There are also use life associated with the masks. N95 and R95 is around 8 hours. R has resistance to oil. P95 has a 40 hour use life and oil resistance.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I went shopping today specifically to prep for this flu.

Goal is to eventually have 2 to 3 weeks of supplies.

Grocery store was usual except no hand sanitizer and no generic water.
    ada5f6cec6c47f27fb5d79b798720952.jpg

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Truth be told, I will touch nothing in a public restroom these days. I will also normally not bother with the hand washing facilities in there. They are nasty and not attended to. I hit flush handles with my forearm or my shoe. I’m a lot cleaner “down there” personally than all of the surfaces in a public restroom.

I don’t piss on my hands. I don’t crap on them either. IF the facilities look clean I’ll wash my hands but it’s almost never when in a public/restaurant/whatever restroom.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Truth be told, I will touch nothing in a public restroom these days. I will also normally not bother with the hand washing facilities in there. They are nasty and not attended to. I hit flush handles with my forearm or my shoe. I’m a lot cleaner “down there” personally than all of the surfaces in a public restroom.

I don’t piss on my hands. I don’t crap on them either. IF the facilities look clean I’ll wash my hands but it’s almost never when in a public/restaurant/whatever restroom.

I like the restrooms with the motion sensors, where you don't have to touch anything. Also some of the Wal-Mart's that have the S style entrances so no door to open.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Remember at one of my joint duty stations I was using the restroom. My marine buddy was there and we both finished pissing. Started to walk out while my buddy went to wash his hands and asked “you aren’t washing your hands?” To which I replied “the Army teaches us not to piss on our hands”. We both got a good laugh, after we both washed our hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom