• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Isn't this some form of entrapment?

Seems like if it were, there could never be an undercover drug buy, but what do I know.

Someone upthread raised the point that if a LEO placed the order it may not break the law. My gut tells me courts hate all of these types of arguments, but that strikes me as interesting

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I thought that LEO's couldn't actively solicit a crime. I'm not an expert here, but if they approached the seller (I'm assuming that the seller didn't randomly reach out by phone or e-mail to some unknown party in NJ), then it does a bit like entrapment to me. I could be way off, but it seems tainted to my layman's perspective.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm not a lawyer but shouldn't this be covered by Federal law?

Seems like NJ (and other states) is trying to regulate interstate commerce. Shouldn't New Jersey's jurisdiction stop at the state line?

Dogface

Woofer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Neardabay, Md
    Sorry guys, States have the right to regulate what is sold or delivered to addresses within their state. Entrapment? No, on that one as well. The product was advertised online, the LEO's did not "plant the seed" in the minds of the vendor, they only took them up on their offer. Federal law? Well, if there was a Federal law that covered the manufacture, sale, and shipment then it might be a Federal case, but there isn't so it's not.

If you take a look at the vendors site, they no longer have NJ included in their list of mail order states.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    So then, Thoes undercover officers should also be charged, knowingly that it is illegal to purchases magazine within and by mailing in the state of New Jersey?

Undercover cops buy drugs, solicit sex...etc all the time to make arrests. Not sure how this would be any different. I'm not a lawyer.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Sorry guys, States have the right to regulate what is sold or delivered to addresses within their state. Entrapment? No, on that one as well. The product was advertised online, the LEO's did not "plant the seed" in the minds of the vendor, they only took them up on their offer. Federal law? Well, if there was a Federal law that covered the manufacture, sale, and shipment then it might be a Federal case, but there isn't so it's not.

If you take a look at the vendors site, they no longer have NJ included in their list of mail order states.

I believe you are correct. Especially if the shipping terms were FOB Destination. You got me thinking though. What if the shipping terms were FOB Origin instead. At least contractually, the buyer takes title to the goods as soon as they are in the possession of the carrier. That seems like it would be similar to the purchaser buying the goods in Nevada and carrying/shipping them to NJ.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    44MAG wouldn't ship to a Virginia address if the buyer lived in md. No one has determined if ship to address was nj or somewhere else out of state. Is nj claiming a violation if the web sale/phone order was made within nj? Didn't frosh threaten out of state venders with lawsuits if the buyer resided in md and shipped to another state where it was legal?

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Undercover cops buy drugs, solicit sex...etc all the time to make arrests. Not sure how this would be any different. I'm not a lawyer.

Is there a exception for LEO to purchase these magazines in the NJ law? That’s what could throw a wrench in this case. I’m not a lawyer either though. Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    The complaint was filed in NJ superior court. Why would an out of state company with no in state presence dealing in interstate commerce even bother appearing? Eff them and their kangaroo court.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    44MAG wouldn't ship to a Virginia address if the buyer lived in md. No one has determined if ship to address was nj or somewhere else out of state. Is nj claiming a violation if the web sale/phone order was made within nj? Didn't frosh threaten out of state venders with lawsuits if the buyer resided in md and shipped to another state where it was legal?

The complaint said the mags were shipped to & received at an unspecified address within NJ.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The complaint was filed in NJ superior court. Why would an out of state company with no in state presence dealing in interstate commerce even bother appearing? Eff them and their kangaroo court.

Because NJ can have financial penalties levied against them across state lines. It can also order extradition if it’s a criminal case.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Great. Suing a company for making a magazine that probably jams every other round. We probably ought to be handing them out free to the bad guys. Don't you have to crank the magazine up every so many rounds?

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Is there a exception for LEO to purchase these magazines in the NJ law? That’s what could throw a wrench in this case. I’m not a lawyer either though. Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I see what you mean. If NJ LEOs are allowed to purchase and own large capacity magazines, was a crime actually committed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom