• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I’m looking into some lighter loads for my 12 gauge shooting and found data from Hodgdon’s site for a powder and primers that I have in my stockpile.
    I emailed claybusters to ask some info and they sent me a sample pack (25) of their CB0175-12 to try. I guess I’m just wondering if anybody loads that light for 12 gauge?
    I’m sure I’ll have no problem with my stack barrel and my pump gun, but I’m anxious to see if they will cycle my 930 JM Pro 24”.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Lightest Ive loaded were 7/8 ounce/1200 FPS claybusters. You got quite an interesting experience, in all honesty, I think your load would be best in a fixed breech gun but I would also be interested to know if it cycles. My 7/8 ounce cycled a Browning Maxus (gas gun) but a Benelli (inertia) failed to cycle.

Whats your recipe? I'd probably try to load that light payload up a little hot, at least close to 10,000PSI as possible. My bushing is dropping a little less powder than I'd like for the published 1 oz/1200 FPS recipe of red dot I've been using, and with nobel sport prmers in the winter, cold saturated hulls halfway into a 100 target course I start getting those off sounding/hollow shots. Not enough PSI is leaving a decent amount of unburnt powder

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Lightest Ive loaded were 7/8 ounce/1200 FPS claybusters. You got quite an interesting experience, in all honesty, I think your load would be best in a fixed breech gun but I would also be interested to know if it cycles. My 7/8 ounce cycled a Browning Maxus (gas gun) but a Benelli (inertia) failed to cycle.

Whats your recipe? I'd probably try to load that light payload up a little hot, at least close to 10,000PSI as possible. My bushing is dropping a little less powder than I'd like for the published 1 oz/1200 FPS recipe of red dot I've been using, and with nobel sport prmers in the winter cold, saturated hulls halfway into a 100 target course I start getting those off sounding/hollow shots. Not enough PSI is leaving a decent amount of unburnt powder

My recipe, going from Hodgdon’s data, called for 15.1, 15.9 and 16.7 grains of Clays, velocities of 1150, 1200, and 1250 respectfully. 8900, 10100, and 11400 pressure. Federal 209A primers and Winchester AA 2 3/4inch hulls.
    I used MEC 27-30 bushings and I did scale the drops but I don’t have my data in front of me at the moment but they seemed to be running a little lite on the charge buy a tenth or two.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I agree with papi with getting the pressure above 10,000 if you’re shooting an auto. I shoot 3/4 oz 20 ga reloads because I mostly shoot skeet using a tubeset. I have several friends that shoot 3/4 oz 12’s. They break Skeet targets just fine. Saves money too.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I agree with papi with getting the pressure above 10,000 if you’re shooting an auto. I shoot 3/4 oz 20 ga reloads because I mostly shoot skeet using a tubeset. I have several friends that shoot 3/4 oz 12’s. They break Skeet targets just fine. Saves money too.

My auto was cycling my lower pressure 1 1/8oz loads last weekend, but I’m guessing the heavier load might make the difference. I’m thinking a trip off the back porch tomorrow morning might be in order, we shall see. Cycling report to follow sometime this week.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Took me longer than a week to get these 3/4 ounce loads out but they did cycle the JM Pro using a #27 MEC bushing with Clays (~15.0gr.)
    Seemed to pattern pretty well too with minimum recoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom