• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    12 ago years i had a stroke,my left side did not work as usal.i had to learn not only to load a revolver and a auto.the worst was learning how to reload one handed.now i have most of the use of my left hand,but i still practice one hand reloading which i never see on the board.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would say 1 handed loading, on this board is never mentioned, because it wouldn't apply to most here due to the highest probability that 99% would never have that need in a typical self defense shooting.
    The typical 7 yard average distance, if you're wounded and have to reload, you're ass is probably cooked. It's a moot point. It's a highly unusual circumstance for a single shooter.
    I can however see these issues being addressed and talked about if we had separate topic sections for, team/military/leo shooter situations or a physical limitations section. And actually until now, I think you're the only one who had actually mentioned one.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I'm at a loss as to what we are debating here? There are lulls in every fire fight, how you decide to use that time is whatever your comfortable with. During a lull I will refresh my load and retain the partial mag with in my SOP that I have. My partials are separate from my empties and separate from my full mags. Now while I'm actively engaging targets, no I'm not going to pull the mag until its empty. My definition of a tactical reload is replacing your magazine as quickly as possible. Retaining mags is good form since they are not really expendable items.

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    It's not a tactical reload or emergency reload. It's a magazine exchange.
    It's as simple as this. You get behind a car and I'll get behind another car 15 yards away. We are shooting at each other, then I stop. Now you have your "lull" in action to do your exchange. Then I start firing just when you have two stupid magazines in 1 hand.

Who is now in "admin" mode while I'm throwing rounds your way again? SWAT teams are MORE THAN 1 person with a gun. You could tie your shoe in a gunfight of you want, because your covered.
    My expertise is 1 & 2 person fighting, and a mag exchange has no place in a gunfight.

I fully understand fighting with just few folks, you can count the number on one hand. You need all guns up and running.
    So when you run out of ammo (this does happen way to fast) you reload, right? That's not a mag exchange? I asking and not being a smart ass. The number of names a simple motion is called at any given time is just staggering.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I fully understand fighting with just few folks, you can count the number on one hand. You need all guns up and running.
    So when you run out of ammo (this does happen way to fast) you reload, right? That's not a mag exchange? I asking and not being a smart ass. The number of names a simple motion is called at any given time is just staggering.

In my circle of "workers" we have tactical or emergency reloads. Those are reloads from lock back and dry.

The "reload" in the article, having a fresh mag between your fingers while taking out the partial mag between different fingers is a mag exchange.
    Insert fresh mag then take the partial and place it in a non ammo pouch pocket. Save it for later when you take a break for ice cream or snacks. :D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Call of Duty taught me that you can tac-reload all you want and the bullets will tidy themselves into the last mag. Isn't that convenient?!

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    Funny you brought up ice cream. The best ice cream I have ever had were three of the little cups with wooden spoons. That was one ****ed up place and the second best thing that happen in 12 months.

We're cool on what we call reloads and when.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I agree with the OP, and the writer of the article he posted. A couple things:

I was taught that a tactical reload was simply changing mags before running dry. Partial mag goes into the dump pouch, or on the deck, or anywhere that isn't the magwell, fresh mag goes in. I was never taught or used any of this double mag juggle stuff, never used it, never knew anyone who did.

Was taught to always do this in cover/partial cover

Final thought, IF I am the unlucky contestant in a gunfight the LAST thing I am concerned about is "OMG, mags are, like, $30 each, I don't wanna lose one!" or "That mag might have three or four rounds left, I might need those later".

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Final thought, IF I am the unlucky contestant in a gunfight the LAST thing I am concerned about is "OMG, mags are, like, $30 each, I don't wanna lose one!" or "That mag might have three or four rounds left, I might need those later".

I'm sorry, you aren't as OCD as I am.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm sorry, you aren't as OCD as I am.

I cannot find it, but years ago there was a video of a cop (who also shot competition) was in a shooting inside a burger place.
    The bad guy showed his weapon and the cop saw it. He was in civvies. The cop lifted his hands up in the surrender position(like in some competitions) before he drew his pistol to fire.

Another shooting video had someone (a good guy) after a shooting, bend down and pick up his brass.

I equate training habits to OCD, and some OCD habits WILL get one killed. Just sayin'.

:thumbsup:

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    I have found all training by quality trainers to be of value. They tend to qualify many of the functions they use in the training. Very few functions work in all gun fights and simply may not work for you. I tend to run a carbine with the fullest mag I can. The only time I'm aware of magazine changes is during training or the like. Some of us train because of then need too. Most because of a desire to do so. I'm older now, pushing 60, and do so for both reasons and it will turn in to a desire to do so way to soon. In the mid 70's combat training was different then now. The late 80's in to the 90's,big shifts in training brought a whole lot of styles most were and still are ********. Today's gun fighting training is at such a high level, guns, sights, equipment, ammo I just like being part of it. And yes, ******** styles/training still happen.

What to say next? By being exposed to many different components of a training program, you get a sense of what works for you in that given environment. Some components will work for you, it all clicks in place, for others just not happening.

This has been one of the better chats on the site I have been in. No pissing and moaning, my vagina is packed with sand now, or name calling on the play ground. Thanks for starting it.

And Habits can get you killed.

Mike

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I cannot find it, but years ago there was a video of a cop (who also shot competition) was in a shooting inside a burger place.
    The bad guy showed his weapon and the cop saw it. He was in civvies. The cop lifted his hands up in the surrender position(like in some competitions) before he drew his pistol to fire.

Another shooting video had someone (a good guy) after a shooting, bend down and pick up his brass.

I equate training habits to OCD, and some OCD habits WILL get one killed. Just sayin'.

:thumbsup:
    Correct. Train how you fight and fight how you train. Trick is learning how to keep your mind clear enough to tell the difference.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Yeager on the history of the tactical reload. I know a lot of people don't care for Yeager and I don't know how accurate his history is, but interesting notheless:

FPF

Apr 20, 2013
    Yeager on the history of the tactical reload. I know a lot of people don't care for Yeager and I don't know how accurate his history is, but interesting notheless:

That's the same history that Tom Givens provides in his classes when he discusses this technique.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Sounds plausible. I've read other accounts as to 'why' we started learning it.
    I also read somewhere it started during ww1, they didn't want guys loosing mags in the muck of the trenches; who really knows.

I still demonstrate it from time to time. It's a required part of one of my annual qualifications, but I don't need to practice it any more. It's not something you need to be able to do super fast; it's really just an admin reload - not a gun fight skill at all.

I wish IDPA would stop requiring it.

The very first gun course (2 weeks) I attended, we only used (drop the mag) emergency technique. My mags (all metal Sig228) were getting beat up. I put some rubbery goop on the base plates that first night off. Saved my mags, I still have a couple of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom