• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    And, to be clear... none of those promises related to actual, overt changes, but rather that he had gun owners' interests in mind, and understood the things he could (and would need to) do to effect broader carry rights.

:poke: < Hogan

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    And, to be clear... none of those promises related to actual, overt changes, but rather that he had gun owners' interests in mind, and understood the things he could (and would need to) do to effect broader carry rights.

True no specifics were mentioned.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The anti-gun sentiment among the people of MD is really not that strong. It's mainly the politicians who buy into the narrative. Don't you all remember the testimony before SB281? If the anti-gun sentiment were that great, wouldn't we have seen more people come out and testify in favor?

Three :thumbsup:'s up!

I suspect that at least 50% of the general population can be convinced that firearms, in the hands of honest folks, aren't the problem. It's up to us to make that happen.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I shoot with some lefties. They are adamant against carry. They have steel locked rooms with six figures worth of rifles and all the NFA regulated stuff you can think of, squirt $200 of ammo a week at Bethesda IWLA and are anti carry.

What county do you live in to think Maryland is only 25% against gun laws?
    Only 2-3% of residents in shall issue states apply for a permit. That doesn't mean 97-98% are anti-gun.

Our job is to convince those in the middle NOT to impede our right to carry.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Like most politicians....what is said publicly and what is said supposedly privately are many times two different things.

I'm sure he may have gun owners in mind....wondering how they will take it when Mike & Mike want to trade him the fiscal reforms he wants for more gun restrictions......

Negative speculation doesn't get us far. Why not just wait and see what he does or doesn't do? Time, after all, will tell.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Man, I can tell it's been a while since I've posted here. I kept trying to "like' certain posts. :innocent0

Bottom line is this: The approach everyone, including myself, hoped Hogan would take (i.e. instructing MSP to allow self defense as G&S without the current arbitrary supporting paperwork) got shot down. He can't arbitrarily change the law itself, so that leaves shuffling up the handgun permit board, which he's working on, and fixing some issues with MSP interpretation of COMAR, which he is also working on with placement of new MSP leadership. I realize that both of these changes are temporary ones that can be undone, but once we get a larger number of carry permits with simple self-defense (i.e. no supporting paperwork, just exercising Second Amendment rights), we have a much stronger standing in court if/when future governors come along and undo them.

We had a long shot at a quick solution. It didn't work out. That doesn't mean the game is over.

And given his performance to date, if it keeps on this trajectory I'd say his odds of winning a second term are very good.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Man, I can tell it's been a while since I've posted here. I kept trying to "like' certain posts. :innocent0

Bottom line is this: The approach everyone, including myself, hoped Hogan would take (i.e. instructing MSP to allow self defense as G&S without the current arbitrary supporting paperwork) got shot down. He can't arbitrarily change the law itself, so that leaves shuffling up the handgun permit board, which he's working on, and fixing some issues with MSP interpretation of COMAR, which he is also working on with placement of new MSP leadership. I realize that both of these changes are temporary ones that can be undone, but once we get a larger number of carry permits with simple self-defense (i.e. no supporting paperwork, just exercising Second Amendment rights), we have a much stronger standing in court if/when future governors come along and undo them.

We had a long shot at a quick solution. It didn't work out. That doesn't mean the game is over.

And given his performance to date, if it keeps on this trajectory I'd say his odds of winning a second term are very good.
    Welcome back!

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Welcome back. MDS is almost like the movie "Groundhog Day" no matter what day you tune in, its the same ole chit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    but once we get a larger number of carry permits with simple self-defense (i.e. no supporting paperwork, just exercising Second Amendment rights), we have a much stronger standing in court if/when future governors come along and undo them.

Doesn't there have to be at least one before you start counting a large number.....

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

Calling BS . law is on his side if the MSP (still think the AG opinion is BS too) or Hogan himself said SD is G&S . Nothing in the current law prohibits it. He just turned tail and ran . At least with Brown we knew he would screw us every chance he got. Hogan is like a snake oil salesman , acts like your friend even gives you a few crumbs than stabs you in the back.

He is 1 and done.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    An AG opinion is not only not a law, it has no bearing on a directive Hogan might choose to issue to an appointee in the executive branch as I read the law. It's only "shot down" if Hogan agrees with the opinion. He's not bound by it. The MSP superintendent probably has to abide by it until he's told differently IMO.

But IANAL

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Welcome back. MDS is almost like the movie "Groundhog Day" no matter what day you tune in, its the same ole chit.
    This is precisely why I took a little MDS break.

Calling BS . law is on his side if the MSP (still think the AG opinion is BS too) or Hogan himself said SD is G&S . Nothing in the current law prohibits it. He just turned tail and ran . At least with Brown we knew he would screw us every chance he got. Hogan is like a snake oil salesman , acts like your friend even gives you a few crumbs than stabs you in the back.

He is 1 and done.
    Do you know what we call officials in the executive branch who ignore the finding of their attorneys general and do what they please because they find those rulings to be BS?

Dictators.

Larry Hogan is a Republican Governor working in a heavily Democratic state. Very little of what he does is easy. If he really weren't interested in helping gun owners, why is he stacking the handgun review board with pro-gun members? If he was, as you say, a "snake oil salesman", would he be putting pro-gun people into places of leadership at the MSP?

Patience. I know we'd like to have change overnight, but politics rarely works that way. Not to mention, he has an entire state to run.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    An AG opinion is not only not a law, it has no bearing on a directive Hogan might choose to issue to an appointee in the executive branch as I read the law. It's only "shot down" if Hogan agrees with the opinion. He's not bound by it. The MSP superintendent probably has to abide by it until he's told differently IMO.

But IANAL

I am pretty certain the MSP Superintendent is not bound by an AG opinion which amounts to simple legal advice. That being said if things really are happening behind the scenes perhaps patience is in order.

After hearing Tim's informal review recording I feel like we are all banging our heads against the wall. The stupid was strong on that recording. Those MSP guys seemed absolutely brainwashed and so stuck in their wrong ways that it would take an act of God to get them to wake up. Oath to the COTUS? Huh? What's that? We took an oath to MOM and disarming citizens. :sad20: :mad54:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

But IANAL

What it does however is give. The press and the MGA a free shot at the governor..even before any decision is made..

It effectively shifts the burden of proof from presumably lawful to pursumably unlawful and in such a way the the courts, who's opinion is binding, is likely to favor the AG.

If you belive you have a power...use it. Once you ask you are conceeding that the matter is unclear..

This is one if the stupidest moves I have ever seen.. that it was done against the advice of others suggest it was willfully stupid.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well IIRC the question was posed by a legislator, not Hogan. I don't know if that really matters in the larger scheme of things however.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Well IIRC the question was posed by a legislator, not Hogan. I don't know if that really matters in the larger scheme of things however.

What was done was akin to asking the ATF about "Can I put a SIG Brace on my shotgun?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom