• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Thank you for the response, I really liked the ruger sr1911 I handled at the store, cant imagine what a $1500 1911 would feel like. Can one of the lower end models be upgraded or is the only way to get better fit and finish to buy a new gun?

As mentioned it varies. That is one of the things I like about Springfield Armory. Their custom shop can take one of their midrange guns (like the Range Officer) and upgrade it the way you want to rather easily. Nobody else has such a good system in place.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OK everyone, what about Commander vs non-Commander (full size)? Does size really matter?

If it's your first 1911, I would go full size, or you could go full size double stack (Para Ordnance P14.45) like I did for my first one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Don't rule out Sig. You can often pick up their 1911's for <$800 on sale and they are very well built. Or if you just want to get your toes wet without spending that much Rock Island Armory makes a cheap 1911 that won't win any awards, but they work and shoot just as accurately as guns 2x the price.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Don't rule out Sig. You can often pick up their 1911's for <$800 on sale and they are very well built. Or if you just want to get your toes wet without spending that much Rock Island Armory makes a cheap 1911 that won't win any awards, but they work and shoot just as accurately as guns 2x the price.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: on the Rock Island. Especially the 1911 Tactical .45. It is a great pistol for under $500.00

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I like the SA Range Officer compact. Although I think a would get it in 9mm. My first pistol was a Colt Combat Commander in stainless. Loved that gun. Got while I was at fort Stewart GA. I would also look at Sig. Friend in PA just got a Scorpion carry. Very nice. I ordered him a nice kydex holster for it.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    My first and only is the Ruger SR1911. As long as you're not expecting a Les Baer or Nighthawk custom for the price that a Ruger offers you, you shouldn't be disappointed. I got mine fairly cheap, considering I bought it not long after it came out for less than MSRP, which they were often commanding more than at the time. It's certainly not a high-end 1911, and I did send it back to Ruger once to remove a machining flaw off of the breech face of the slide. But it has always functioned flawlessy. The slide-to-frame fit is a little loose, the trigger kinda sucks for a 1911, and there is MIM parts abound if that bothers you, but it's been perfectly reliable, it's inexpensive for the class and American made. Plus it's quite adaptable to modifications if you want to improve anything. I'll get a good trigger job done someday.

My first and only is the Ruger SR1911. As long as you're not expecting a Les Baer or Nighthawk custom for the price that a Ruger offers you, you shouldn't be disappointed. I got mine fairly cheap, considering I bought it not long after it came out for less than MSRP, which they were often commanding more than at the time. It's certainly not a high-end 1911, and I did send it back to Ruger once to remove a machining flaw off of the breech face of the slide. But it has always functioned flawlessy. The slide-to-frame fit is a little loose, the trigger kinda sucks for a 1911, and there is MIM parts abound if that bothers you, but it's been perfectly reliable, it's inexpensive for the class and American made. Plus it's quite adaptable to modifications if you want to improve anything. I'll get a good trigger job done someday.

I don't think I'm experienced enough to really tell the difference between a fancy pants 1911 and some of the "best bang for the buck" models I listed. Plus it is easier to justify buying multiple cheaper guns than 1 really expensive one. At least I think it is. I pretty much want a 1911 because I don't have one and I want to see what the fuss is all about.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I don't think I'm experienced enough to really tell the difference between a fancy pants 1911 and some of the "best bang for the buck" models I listed. Plus it is easier to justify buying multiple cheaper guns than 1 really expensive one. At least I think it is. I pretty much want a 1911 because I don't have one and I want to see what the fuss is all about.

Buy once, cry once.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Most of the 1911s can be upgraded by a good smith, but it can cost more than the original pistol. You don't have to purchase a new slide, I have a Colt that had the slide rails welded and recut, and there is a process by which the rails can be peened and fitted by hand lapping slide and frame.
    You might seek John Carduner's opinion on the matter. He knows his stuff and has some fairly strong opinions on the suitability of various makes for upgrading. John is an Industry Partner and goes by Trikshot on this forum.
    On the other hand, getting any of the pistols mentioned in this thread will get you started and you can always sell/trade up from where you start.
    I am sure that I would have been perfectly happy(for quite a while) with a Rock Island when I began shooting.
    DocAitch

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

I have two SR1911s... (Full size and CMD) I bought both of them from other owners... and they both shoot better than I do. No problem with triggers or any malfunctions of any kind. The slides are fit well and they have impressed me as good shooters. I use Mobil1 50 weight on moving contact parts and it seems to do very well. I have shot both to the point of being dirty and neither have slowed down or shown me any cause for concern. I personally believe that Ruger got it right straight out of the box and they did so by conducting their own research prior to building their first 1911. After all... they DID have nearly a hundred years of data to look at.

Your trigger is adjustable and can be worked in with use (worn in)... or polished (CAREFULLY) by a good Smith who knows what to do. I find that there are many diverse opinions when it comes to the brands, models and features of the individual 1911s. And they will all have their individual appeal depending on the owners proclivities.

I just like to shoot... 1911, Glock, (insert type/name pistol here)... So load, point, safety off, apply booger hook and have a blast. YOU will be the one to decide which one/s are your favorites. Allowing someone else to choose that for you is the same as walking up to a stranger on the street and asking them which brand of underwear... and should you buy boxers, briefs, slingshot, thong or go commando... They can not choose for you because YOU are the one with skin in the game... so only you will be able to judge how it feels and whether or not YOU like it.

Pew Pew Pew 'til your heart's content. :rockon:

FeelTheNoise

WTF
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 11, 2015
    Cecil County
    Just picked up my Springfield Mil-Spec last week and I'm extremely happy with the way it feels and shoots. I assume that the RO will be built to the same quality, if not better. Not to mention Springfield has a pretty good customer service reputation if you run into any problems. With that said, I've heard the SR1911 is also a great budget 1911. I also shot a RIA that was decent, but I preferred the Springfield.

To be honest you'd probably be getting a great pistol with any of the suggestions in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom