Larry Hogan "supports" the second amendment...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    He should have added, "with its current membership."

His statement implies that there is no way it will change. I sure hope he doesn't mean that.

I addressed this on the show last night, actually. He means he cannot repeal it and nor does he believe that a bill to repeal it two years after it was passed would pass. He's right. There's really no point to the "what if" game but rather let's worry about "what is".

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    He should have added, "with its current membership."

His statement implies that there is no way it will change. I sure hope he doesn't mean that.

Realistically, in 2014, that is not going to change. Changing the legislature is a long term goal.

The reality of this election is that the unions are going to send screaming lies (they tried to primary a lot of Democrats this year), and a lot of leftist forces are going to fight this election very hard. For Hogan to win, he needs Democrats to not show up in their usual numbers (usually Dem turnout is down 25% vs the presidential year), needs every last R vote, and to turn a few independents/Dems.

He absolutely positively does not need motivated Dems on social issues. Period. Every single question on any social issue needs to be turned back into jobs and fiscal responsibility. From my personal perspective, if he is talking about guns, gays, or contraception, or whatever, he is losing the race. That is my personal opinion.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I, however, am a pragmatist - and Hogan has no chance of winning in a state where republicans are outnumbered 2:1 (and that's before voter fraud is taken into account).So he's going to lose.

There's one key thing that you're overlooking. Martin O'Malley alienated a lot of Democrats with his tax policies, and most people here see Anthony Brown as an extension of O'Malley. There's lots of talk amongst my Democratic friends (I live in Columbia) about voting for Hogan in an attempt to roll back some of O'Malley's policies.

Granted, it's just talk, but talk is how elections get won. And I guarantee you that if Hogan was stumping for gun rights, that talk wouldn't be happening.

Do I think Hogan faces an uphill battle? Absolutely. But I think it's winnable.

Do I think that Hogan is the ideal candidate? Hardly. But he's better than Anthony Brown.

In the absence of a candidate better than Brown or Hogan, I'm voting for Hogan because I see him as the best choice.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Realistically, in 2014, that is not going to change. Changing the legislature is a long term goal.

The reality of this election is that the unions are going to send screaming lies (they tried to primary a lot of Democrats this year), and a lot of leftist forces are going to fight this election very hard. For Hogan to win, he needs Democrats to not show up in their usual numbers (usually Dem turnout is down 25% vs the presidential year), needs every last R vote, and to turn a few independents/Dems.

He absolutely positively does not need motivated Dems on social issues. Period. Every single question on any social issue needs to be turned back into jobs and fiscal responsibility. From my personal perspective, if he is talking about guns, gays, or contraception, or whatever, he is losing the race. That is my personal opinion.

Very sound thinking.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's incredibly foolish to think that Hogan will not also support incremental gun bans, just like Brown will. Fact - he has never, ever, ever, once pledged that he would not sign another gun ban.

What reason has he given all of you to think otherwise? He goes to considerable trouble to avoid any discussion of guns whatsoever. Why? He clearly regards 2A supporters as some kind of crazy uncle who needs to be kept locked up in the basement - this is readily apparent from his considerable efforts to distance himself from you during the primaries. And suggesting that Berretta is leaving due to "tax issues" rather than gun bans is a lie so stupid that even the family dog could see through it. This guy is NOT a friend of the gun culture, and that A- rating means nothing. At the very least, he is taking your support for granted while promising to do nothing for you.

Look, Brown is going to win anyway, so really, it doesn't matter who you vote for... BUT, you do have the opportunity here to send a message to the GOP in MD, and all around the country, by withdrawing your support from Hogan and voting 3rd party for another ticket.

When it becomes known that snubbing gun owners can cost a sizeable fraction of the vote, then perhaps other candidates will learn something. When it becomes clear that Hogan lost by 25% (due to gun owners not voting for him) rather than losing by 10% (because dems outnumber R's by 10% here) then it will be obvious to everyone that you cannot simply take gun owners votes for granted. Likewise, a huge boost in the numbers of people voting 3rd party will also show that disaffected GOP voters who are gun owners will go elsewhere if their needs are not being addressed by their own party, will be similarly apparent.

You have an opportunity to do something meaningful here by NOT voting for Hogan.

Take advantage of it.

Thank you for your opinion, however misguided and devisive it may be. Brown is NOT a lock, Hogan DOES have a chance, if you feel other wise great.

But coming on here and trying to split the vote and advocate voting for anyone other than someone who might support us just because he doesn't come right out and say it, is assanine at best.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There's a naked 4x8 sign frame in front of my house. Would a Hogan sign here be an indicator of support or do we need to arrange a bloodletting ceremony?

No blood letting needed, just the the same (or maybe a minor reduction) level of support for Hogan that you threw out there for Craig.

How much time did you put in for Craig if any? How about at least that much time for Hogan?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'll refrain from making a similar personal attack against you and merely suggest that you're ..... a mistaken optimist who really means well. Bless your heart.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I can't (legally) vote in MD anymore because I don't live here. Unlike many people, instead of grumbling and whining, I actually did something about it and left. My income taxes no longer go to Annapolis - therefore I'm no longer helping pay for your right s to be trampled-on. You're welcome.,BTW...

I, however, am a pragmatist - and Hogan has no chance of winning in a state where republicans are outnumbered 2:1 (and that's before voter fraud is taken into account).So he's going to lose.

So why not take advantage of the opportunity to send a message by not supporting him because he didn't support you?

If the "expected" margin of defeat for a R candidate in MD is 10%, then people are going to take note of the R candidate losing by more than 10% - they're going to want to know why he lost by that extra margin - a margin that in other places, may mean the difference between winning and losing.

You folks in MD have the chance to do something here...

But if you keep running back to the GOP like some Stockholm-syndrome affected victim no matter how badly they treat you, well, you're just reinforcing bad behavior.

Ah, the carpetbagger continues to fling poo.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Bottom line: Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Hogan is good enough. Geez, he's much better than Brown. Does anyone seriously doubt that?

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009

THIS! OH VERY MUCH: THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Bottom line: Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Hogan is good enough. Geez, he's much better than Brown. Does anyone seriously doubt that?

SNI, you are so right. However, I think Hogan is better than good enough--and thats why I got involved early on.

On another note, and not really related to what SNI wrote, there are people who come on this board with the sole purpose of dividing us or gaining some degree of "intel" into what we are thinking OR some other less than wonderful reason.

Point is, not everyone has the same great intentions for being on MDS (or any other forum for that matter) so there may not be alot to be gained in over-engaging on any one particular topic. You can usually tell quite quickly, who will change their mind and who won't.

Don't kill yourselves trying to change someone's mind who just won't hear it. We don't have time for that.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    SNI, you are so right. However, I think Hogan is better than good enough--and thats why I got involved early on.

On another note, and not really related to what SNI wrote, there are people who come on this board with the sole purpose of dividing us or gaining some degree of "intel" into what we are thinking OR some other less than wonderful reason.

Point is, not everyone has the same great intentions for being on MDS (or any other forum for that matter) so there may not be alot to be gained in over-engaging on any one particular topic. You can usually tell quite quickly, who will change their mind and who won't.

Don't kill yourselves trying to change someone's mind who just won't hear it. We don't have time for that.

i voted for Gansler in the primary. He lost :(

Hogan's got my vote in the general. :D

Seriously, you are very astute in your observation about troublemakers. But there is merit in healthy respectful debate. Maybe not even between the principals. Sometimes innocent bystanders get some on them. :D. Sometimes conflict drives out true character also. It's not the agreeable threads that lead to the ban hammer. Lol. The flush factor isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Go Hogan!

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    No blood letting needed, just the the same (or maybe a minor reduction) level of support for Hogan that you threw out there for Craig.

How much time did you put in for Craig if any? How about at least that much time for Hogan?
    How much the if any? Likely as much time as you have for Hogan. There are members here that can arrest to that. Every sign that your guys posted near a Craig sign, they were tracing in my footsteps. 109 of those 4x9s in Baltimore County alone were erected by yours truly alone. On top of that, I framed out and faced all 350 signs that were shipped to the other counties. Until the primary was over, every weekend and most evenings were devoted to the effort, and don't even think about tossing out the old " I'm working my ass off, what have you done" B/S. Let's not talk about what all those miles on my truck cost me in gas dollars either.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I can see the strategy in sticking to fiscal issues, which as said above, has left a bad taste even the most Democratiest Democrats in MD thanks to Owe'Malley. My lifelong Dem parents included.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    It's incredibly foolish to think that Hogan will not also support incremental gun bans, just like Brown will. Fact - he has never, ever, ever, once pledged that he would not sign another gun ban.

What reason has he given all of you to think otherwise? He goes to considerable trouble to avoid any discussion of guns whatsoever. Why? He clearly regards 2A supporters as some kind of crazy uncle who needs to be kept locked up in the basement - this is readily apparent from his considerable efforts to distance himself from you during the primaries. And suggesting that Berretta is leaving due to "tax issues" rather than gun bans is a lie so stupid that even the family dog could see through it. This guy is NOT a friend of the gun culture, and that A- rating means nothing. At the very least, he is taking your support for granted while promising to do nothing for you.

Look, Brown is going to win anyway, so really, it doesn't matter who you vote for... BUT, you do have the opportunity here to send a message to the GOP in MD, and all around the country, by withdrawing your support from Hogan and voting 3rd party for another ticket.

When it becomes known that snubbing gun owners can cost a sizeable fraction of the vote, then perhaps other candidates will learn something. When it becomes clear that Hogan lost by 25% (due to gun owners not voting for him) rather than losing by 10% (because dems outnumber R's by 10% here) then it will be obvious to everyone that you cannot simply take gun owners votes for granted. Likewise, a huge boost in the numbers of people voting 3rd party will also show that disaffected GOP voters who are gun owners will go elsewhere if their needs are not being addressed by their own party, will be similarly apparent.

You have an opportunity to do something meaningful here by NOT voting for Hogan.

Take advantage of it.
    Voting 3rd party doesn't send message to the GOP. Voting 3rd party is vote for the Dems. That lesson needs to be learned by 3rd party voters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom