• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sub-2000s are a ton of fun, especially if you've already got a matching handgun to use the magazines from. They've got some customization options, too, if you find yourself wanting to improve your gun... I'm already feeling the pull of the Red Lion front sight replacement.

I will, however, say that the Vz-58 and SKS suggestions have a lot of merit if you're looking for something with more punch.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'd get a M1 Garand, ain't nothing like shooting a Garand and the history behind it is 2nd to none. I also favor steel and wood.

Louie

Sep 10, 2009
    Edgehood
    Ok, so I learned something here. If I bought a long-gun last week I can buy a handgun this week(pick it up next week)?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, 1 regulated firearm every 30 days. Key word REGULATED. If you can't walk out of the store with it right then and there that makes it regulated (for the most part).

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Okay, i know i'm being a little anal about this but i can't stop myself :whack:. unless you have just purchased a "MD Regulated" firearm it will be 60 days of waiting.
    Purchase spikes
    wait 30
    Purchase glock 23
    wait 30
    Purchase glock 19

Total wait 60 days.

I would love to get a Mini-14 myself. Apparently walmart here in Severn is carrying ruger Ranch Rifles that i might just have to get.

I am pretty sure Spikes does not make H-BARS so now you are back to 90.

Last edited:

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Given that you want a Glock 19 my vote for a non-regulated rifle would be a Sub2k.

It takes Glock mags and folds up to fit in a laptop case which is hella cool. I've only put maybe 50 rounds through mine but the design seems pretty reliable: straight blowback with a heavy bolt and lots of extra tolerance in the action. Overall length when unfolded is about the same as a 10.5 AR (Mk18) with the stock extended.

The fit and finish, front sight, and trigger aren't great but can be improved and I can't think of a cheap carbine that is more handy or just overall fun to own.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    A MK18 would be regulated, unless it had a heavy barrel and you had an FFL that would transfer it as not-regulated. But you'd also be waiting for the NFA stamp to come in, which could take 4-6 months. All pistols are regulated, no matter the caliber.

Non-regulated fun below :D Nothing quite like being able to take something home the day it comes into the store.

Attachments

• DSC_1108.JPG
      DSC_1108.JPG
      79.9 KB · Views: 139

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    A MK18 would be regulated, unless it had a heavy barrel and you had an FFL that would transfer it as not-regulated. But you'd also be waiting for the NFA stamp to come in, which could take 4-6 months. All pistols are regulated, no matter the caliber.

Non-regulated fun below :D Nothing quite like being able to take something home the day it comes into the store.

Which SCAR is that? Or is that an ACR?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Does the MK18 fall under the regulated part of the AR group?

Also, does the regulated pistols include .22 LRs? Figured it's cheap plinking ammo.

Since it's not the actual serial numbered part of an AR you buy a Mk18 upper receiver through the mail. It will, however, cost you a $200 tax stamp with the ATF to install it on an AR lower.

Mk18 is the ~10.5" barreled upper for the M4 as spec'd by NSW Crane and used by a lot of folks who need a super short carbine for CQB or discrete carry. The Sub2000 unfolded (deployed) is functionally about the same OAL as a 10.5 SBR AR with it's stock fully extended (deployed).

Unfortunately even .22 pistols are considered regulated.

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    kind of late but as far as non-regulateds go either the scar or
    a PS-90. Possibly the most fun I've had shooting between 50 and 100yrds.

ps9002.jpg

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I second the Sub2000. I have one in 40 S&W and it's really a fun little carbine.

Besides, it uses my glock's magazines too, so I didn't have to go out and buy more. The sub2000 doesn't care about korean made mags, the glock is a bit more picky with loading/unloading them.

The idea of building an ak47 is a good idea, however it does take a bit of setup and tools, maybe not something you want to jump right into, and just the parts will cost more than a hi-point or a keltec carbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom