• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Is there any good home-brewed ways of leveling the reticle on a scope when mounting it? I remember reading something a while back about using a plumb bob and string, but I don't remember the details and can't remember where I read it. I have a small plastic level around here somewhere, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be measuring across a small space such as a picatinny rail or scope turret.

I know there's tools available for this job, but I'm trying to avoid spending too much money, considering this is my first and only magnified scope thus far.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    pretty much what RJ said. get the gun level (place a level on a flat spot on the gun, or on top of the bottom of the rings) then the other level on top of the scope turret.

i try to have both levels on at the same time so that i'm sure the gun is not canted while i'm tightening down the scope rings.

another (less scientific) way is just to look thru the scope and get the vertical reticle pointing down at the centerline of the gun.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    pretty much what RJ said. get the gun level (place a level on a flat spot on the gun, or on top of the bottom of the rings) then the other level on top of the scope turret.

i try to have both levels on at the same time so that i'm sure the gun is not canted while i'm tightening down the scope rings.

another (less scientific) way is just to look thru the scope and get the vertical reticle pointing down at the centerline of the gun.

+1 i did the same prior of getting the leveling rig,

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Thanks guys, I made due with the plastic level I have at home. I'm just hoping the receiver didn't shift at all while tightening down the scope, I'll find out when I hit the range!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I always do the plumb bob thing. Hang a string from the ceiling with a weight on it and make sure the rifle is level and line the vertical crosshair up with the string.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I just get it to ~that looks about right~, lock it down & call it a day. If it's off too small of an amount to notice it's not going to make a lick of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom