• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm finally getting around to building the group-buy Spikes lower I've had laying around. I already have a build with a Del-Ton 16" midlength HBAR upper, but it is a bit heavy and off-balance for a SHTF carbine. So, what I plan to do is put a scope on this upper, and use it for a long(er) range rifle, and get a M4 style upper to make a better zombie carbine. So what are good choices as far as reasonably affordable uppers? I want something a little "higher end" than Del-Ton, considering this will be a zombie defense system. I'm looking for your run-of-the-mill 16" carbine length gas system with the gov't profile barrel. I know there's a lot of choices, but I guess I'm looking for a suggestion that'll be the best overall value.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    IMHO the Spikes uppers from Joebob offer the most bang for your buck. You can get a middy with a BAR rail (nice rail IMHO, dehorned edges) for a good price. They upgrade the extractor with a spring and o-ring kit, the bolt and barrel are MPI tested. They digest cheap ammo fine. They also offer carbine length platforms but the middy's are worth the slightly higher price. I'd get a Griffin M4-SD too, with the mid-length setup there is no perceptable recoil with .223 loads and no muzzle flip. I'm super happy with mine and I think it's every bit as good as my BCM uppers.

My humble .02

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    M4's are alot lighter, I have a J&T 20 A2 and a Delton 16 collapsible and the delton is almost perfectly balanced. The Delton is a solid performer, though I may try spikes on my next build.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My 7.5 inch upper makes for a quick pointer, but .223 is a bit of a waste in that short of a barrel. My best SHTF carbine upper? I would have to say it's the AR-57 11" upper. 50 rounds of 5.7x28 is perfect for a CQ upper, the 11" length gives good velocity, fast pointing, and easy follow up shots.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I bought a spikes midlength from dan. By far my favorite AR upper right now. Smooth and sweet recoil. Haven't tried anything heavier than 55gr PMC fmjbt. I was getting 2-3" groups at 100 yards and 1-2" groups at 50 with a strikefire mounted. I can't complain. It's still a great upper for the price. It was windy that day. Hopefully it will tighten up with 62gr or a better optic.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm leaning toward the Spikes as of now, they seem to get good reviews and it's not too expensive. Thanks for all the replies!

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ive got a Spikes 16in M4 upper. I love that freaking thing. I believe its comparable to BCM. Ive read that and just looking over my girls BCM middy I agree. Its very lightweight, pretty damn accurate. The furthest Ive shot it is 200 yards and it does more than enough. Not as good as my 20in but Im not complaining. Also, I think its a plus if your matching the lower and upper. When I found this upper at GC, that was kind of the icing on the cake, like it was ment to be.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't think you can go wrong with either the Spikes or the BCM uppers. If I were buying another M4 upper now, I'd get a mid-length 14.5" with perm flash hider and a Magpul MOE handguard. You can add rails to the MOE later if you are so inclined.

Jim

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I don't think you can go wrong with either the Spikes or the BCM uppers. If I were buying another M4 upper now, I'd get a mid-length 14.5" with perm flash hider and a Magpul MOE handguard. You can add rails to the MOE later if you are so inclined.

Jim

That's exactly what my Noveske N4 looks like and I love the way it feels.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm planning to keep this a KISS carbine, with the exception of the Eotech and MBUS. I considered getting a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider, but I want to be able to take the flash hider off myself without destroying it if necessary. Plus the extra 1.5" of barrel will help muzzle velocity. I'm thinking Spikes FTW, but it'll be a little while before I get the required funds.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm planning to keep this a KISS carbine, with the exception of the Eotech and MBUS. I considered getting a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider, but I want to be able to take the flash hider off myself without destroying it if necessary. Plus the extra 1.5" of barrel will help muzzle velocity. I'm thinking Spikes FTW, but it'll be a little while before I get the required funds.

Check my other thread about the April 2011 spikes group buy plans. You can see what mine looks like. Spikes 16in M4, with Magpul sight, and an Eotech. Basically the same way your going. So far, I freaking love it. Small, lightweight, and functional.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Check my other thread about the April 2011 spikes group buy plans. You can see what mine looks like. Spikes 16in M4, with Magpul sight, and an Eotech. Basically the same way your going. So far, I freaking love it. Small, lightweight, and functional.

I found the thread, looks like I'm after the same setup as yours!

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Personally, since no companies will sell a civilian HE M203 rounds I find the barrel cut out useless. Might as well go with a mid length regular profile barrel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Personally, since no companies will sell a civilian HE M203 rounds I find the barrel cut out useless. Might as well go with a mid length regular profile barrel.

What's a regular profile barrel? He has a HBAR, which doesn't have the M203 cut out. He could get a pencil barreled upper, but I'm not sure anyone has one in a mid-length gas tube setup.

Jim

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What's a regular profile barrel? He has a HBAR, which doesn't have the M203 cut out. He could get a pencil barreled upper, but I'm not sure anyone has one in a mid-length gas tube setup.

Jim

Noveske barrels are standard M4 profile but without the cut and the same weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom