• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Interesting press conference involving the Unified Sportsmen of PA and elected officials a couple of days ago announcing that Dr. Frank Bastian of LSU has properly identified the true causative agent of CWD and has also found a "cure" for CWD. The portion of the video that is shown on this location has the presentation done by Dr. John Eveland (spelling is incorrect in the article) who is the biologist for the Unified Sportsmen of PA group.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2019/02/18/doctor-says-cure-for-cwd-has-been-found/

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, as Dr. Bastian has been working on this theory for at least 8+ years, so I'm wondering what has changed significantly. Have to read and listen more to find out what new findings have surfaced. Apparently he's still pretty much the "lone wolf" on this theory. Certainly hope he just doesn't need an infusion of funding for his research and is just stirring the pot.

All I know is if his theory doesn't pan out, sure makes Unified Sportsmen of PA group look bad for holding a big news conference like this. Of course, I hope he's on the right track, as it I have always felt that there was more to the various prion related diseases than what we knew, and that many of the degenerative neurological diseases could be somehow tied in with CWD, BSE etc. and the production of prions.

Last edited:

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Chronic Wasting Disease.......I thought you were referring to a condition caused by the time spent here on MDS!!!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Interesting. I read of a study in January linking Alzhemer's to bacteria from gum disease.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Interesting theory, if CWD can be traced back to bacteria, they should fall under the Henle-Koch postulates:

1) The bacteria must be isolated from a sick organism
    2) They must be cultured in media
    3) When reintroduced to an organism, they need to cause the same symptoms
    4) Reisolation must be possible from the animals infected according to 3) and similar responses of the host organism must be observed.

As far as I can tell from literature search, it is a single group that has isolated the bacterium so far - first published in 2001. From there on, the Henle-Koch Postulates have not yet been fulfilled and the current data suggests nothing else than that the bacterium can be isolated from brain and lymph tissue. Whether it is present in healthy individuals, or if its presence is a consequence of another ongoing infection is not clear. It could also be contamination in the lab or occuring in healthy individuals as well.
    This is the paper that sparked the current discussion https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29155968
    What we currently need would be an independent verification, proof of the bacterium being a causative agent of cwd and finally show that a treatment can be administered and lead to a cure.

Sorry to say, but this is waaay ahead of any working treatment or even preventive measure. Interviews like the one presented on bowhunter are what happens, when people who have no idea what science is about get fixated on an issue.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Thought it would be this

7e8432f256ecdda3f8589813cc12af18.png

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    But now they are called zombie deer. I guess CWD wasn't scaring enough people into demanding all deer be killed immediately. God forbid there is all that food walking around out there that people can get just by murdering it with evil guns.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Sorry to say, but this is waaay ahead of any working treatment or even preventive measure. Interviews like the one presented on bowhunter are what happens, when people who have no idea what science is about get fixated on an issue.

That was my thought too...announcing that a "cure" (vaccine) for animals would only be a year or so to develop and I believe he said that treatment for humans with CJ could be something like 5-7 years is just way too fast. Especially, as you point out that the transmission model has basically only been replicated once.

As I recall, a random sample of one is by definition, incorrect.

The scary part is Dr. Eveland should know better...unless he drank the Kool-Aid and is now in the zombie state too. Would love to see us be wrong about this, but have my suspicions.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    agree, too soon to tell and a bit premature in how they released the new but.......better than nothing and hopefully proves to be very useful

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    But now they are called zombie deer. I guess CWD wasn't scaring enough people into demanding all deer be killed immediately. God forbid there is all that food walking around out there that people can get just by murdering it with evil guns.

I thought the same thing when I read an article about zombie deer. I was wondering what this new disease was but it is CWD. We’ve been talking about that for years.

Guess zombie deer gets more people in a “panic”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom