Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > West Virginia

Notices

Old May 1st, 2018, 10:41 AM #61
Publius

Publius

Dollar General is on a building spree up here now. One in Beverly and even Wardensville.

Thomas and Davis cool towns if you are looking for Outdoor activities and even music and bars. Davis is right on the edge of Canaan Valley. And Corridor H/US 48 is complete and all highway now from Wardensville to Davis. Beautiful drive and a time saver, so much so that going from Elkins to MD I take 48 to I-81 to I-66 into DC, or 81 to Rt. 7 to 340 and Charles Town.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."-Publius

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."-Thomas Jefferson

"Montani Semper Liberi."-West Virginia State Motto

dfens42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:05 AM #62
Master Blaster

Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens42 View Post
Dollar General is on a building spree up here now. One in Beverly and even Wardensville.

Thomas and Davis cool towns if you are looking for Outdoor activities and even music and bars. Davis is right on the edge of Canaan Valley. And Corridor H/US 48 is complete and all highway now from Wardensville to Davis. Beautiful drive and a time saver, so much so that going from Elkins to MD I take 48 to I-81 to I-66 into DC, or 81 to Rt. 7 to 340 and Charles Town.
Davis ia just a little over 30 minutes away from my house. We go up there all the time to eat (let alone the skiing which we have season's passes for both resorts). As I mentioned earlier, Tucker, Randolph and Pocahontas are the 3 most beautiful counties and you could not go wrong living in any of the three.

If any of you are out this way (Randolph), shoot me an PM and I will gladly meet up with you and show you around (family obligations permitting).
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:23 PM #63
Agnostic in the foxhole

Agnostic in the foxhole

There's a ton of very helpful information in these replies. I've been able to adjust my search areas as a result.

Many thanks.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao Zedong

"Even if a person is not religious, there's nothing wrong with living by godly principles." - Dr. Ben Carson
ComeGet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 09:14 PM #64
Mountaineer

Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeGet View Post
There's a ton of very helpful information in these replies. I've been able to adjust my search areas as a result.

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollywood Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:32 AM #65

Anyone have any input on the Clarksburg area?
Brychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:02 AM #66
Master Blaster

Master Blaster

The Clarksburg area definitely has all the conveniences that you could want, plus easy access due to the highway system (I-79). There are some good land and home prices in the area and you can be in the high mountains within an hour.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:29 AM #67
Mountaineer

Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brychan View Post
Anyone have any input on the Clarksburg area?

Lots. That’s where I live.

Huge growth area, with the Bridgeport side of town seeing most of that. I-79 is the “train tracks” though, and Bridgeport is the “nice” side of town with Clarksburg being the “bad” side of town.

Lots of drug problems and abandoned/condemned or condemnable homes in Clarksburg, but that can lead to some great deals. Realtor friends think Clarksburg is going to see a resurgence with Bridgeport maxing our very soon. There’s several pockets of still very nice communities in town, with no threat of the drug problem.

You can find some acreage outside of town as well, that is still convenient to everything.

If you have more specific questions as you look more let me know and I’ll give you my local take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollywood Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:54 AM #68
IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!

I have been looking around Shinnston. My brother and sister both live in Marion co. To much corruption there for me. I'd go nuts.
So hopefully Harrison for me.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

“All I can tell you is, Mr. Beretta said ‘There always seems to be a problem with Maryland'. ”

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Warren v. District of Columbia (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) You need a gun!!
SAF, MSP QHIC, NRA Life Member Certified Pistol and Rifle Instuctor, and RSO
GTOGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:58 PM #69
Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen702 View Post
To piggy-back on sxs's post. If you're staying up near Seneca Rocks, Harman's Luxury Cabins is far superior to everything else in the area. Snowshoe is an amazing "bang for your buck" summer vacation spot and their sporting clays course (though not fancy) offers some really good challenges. Very tight full-on woods shooting. No automated traps. You have a guide with you at every station who goes and sits in the trap house and waits for your call. They also mix up the clays so that you're shooting everything from pheasant and grouse on down to miniatures as stand-ins for quail. Nothing more fun than watching a full-sized clay and a teeny-tiny middle one go flying and having to figure out which to nail first.

I'll second Cass as a place to stay as well as take the train. It's beautiful up there. I lived on the mountain (Snowshoe) and down in Slaty Fork for a few years when I first get started after college. I'd give my left nut to be able to move back and make any sort of living in that area again.

If you want an amazing experience though, grab 8 or so families and rent out the Cheat Mountain Club for a long weekend or even a week. You don't find honest-to-goodness lodges like that around here anymore.
Just revisited this thread. Thanks for the tip on Harmans Cabins. I may use them sometime. I used to stay at the Boyer motel on 28 near Greenbank years back. No one answers the phone there anymore aNd I know the restaurant has been closed for at least several years. I have also stayed in Elkins before and even pulled my camper to Blackwater Falls then visited the area on day trips.
Member Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R 03 FFL
Retired Anne Arundel County Dept of Information Technology
Sales Associate at Scott's Gunsmithing

"They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up on wings as eagles"
sxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:14 PM #70
Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens42 View Post

There is a Dollar General in Arbovale right on 28 (next to Greenbank...in sight of the Astronomy Observatory). I laughed when I first saw it a few years ago. Nothing like a chain store ever existed in that area until then.

Thomas and Davis are right by Blackwater Falls. Gorgeous hiking throughout the state park. Besides the hikes going past the falls, try taking the short, easy hike (1/2 or 3/4 of a mile) to Lindy point...where 3 valleys intersect. Spectacular.

Wardensville.....I have eaten periodically at the Kac Ka Pon restaurant on my way past many times ever since I was a young child. Foods not as good as years ago, but still decent enough to warrant a stop. Pies are excellent (homemade).

I didn't realize Corridor H was complete now. On the other hand, I usually use it from I-81 near Front Royal to Wardensville then Moorefield, then take 28 south from there. When I've been to Elkins a couple times a few years back, I came down 219 from either Oakland MD or Blackwater Falls either cutting through past Durbin back to 28 or going all the way down to 66 to cut east to Snowshoe and Cass.
Holster
Member Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R 03 FFL
Retired Anne Arundel County Dept of Information Technology
Sales Associate at Scott's Gunsmithing

"They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up on wings as eagles"
sxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > West Virginia