• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm planning on signing up for my first USPSA match at the NRA range in August. I have shot a few IDPA matches, so am not necessarily nervous, but do have questions. I have nothing that's really suitable for shooting major, so I assume I'm going to run in minor with my stock G17. Now, I know a stock G17 isn't exactly competitive, but I also don't care much how I place.

List of questions:
    1. Is Limited Minor a reasonable division to use with this gun? I'd like to use my mags at full-cap for once.
    2. Are pmag21 GL9s legal for use?
    3. Can I use a double belt? I love mine, but can't use it in IDPA.
    4. What else do I need to know as an IDPA shooter trying out USPSA?

I very much enjoy IDPA's gimmicky stages (usually) and rules, but am looking for something with a little more run-and-gun to it to complement that.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    1. Yes
    2. I think so. Is it 140mm or shorter?
    3. Yes.
    4. Don't retain dropped mags. Shoot in any order. Have fun. Be safe.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    2. I think so. Is it 140mm or shorter?
    Yes. I think they designed it specifically for this purpose.

4. Don't retain dropped mags. Shoot in any order. Have fun. Be safe.
    I tried going all elite-competitor and doing a mid-run retained mag change last match... trickier than it looks! Not sure how to practice it, I feel like doing it in my yard would lead to some issues with my neighbors. Maybe I need a higher fence.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Stop shooting IDPA and you'll never need to do a retained mag change ever again in your life. USPSA is big on stage walkthroughs and designing your stage plan. You are allowed and encouraged to "air gun" your way through the stage. USPSA scoring places a far higher importance on speed than IDPA. You still need to make your hits, especially shooting minor, but err on the side of speed.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    As a IDPA shooter, you're probably to slow, my advice go faster.

Even if you're already a IDPA Master, you're still not fast enough.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Nah, I go full-speed on IDPA. Hurts me some because I tend to be slightly out-of-the zone on some shots (especially head shots), but I've never been one to go slow.

If there are any good USPSA shooters on your squad for your first match, you will understand a new definition of "full-speed"...

Also, don't get married to the idea of shooting Limited Minor. You are at a severe scoring disadvantage. Instead I would advise you to shoot production with your G17, then if you want to shoot limited look at a .40 caliber Glock (G35 most likely) if you are a "Glock guy".

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If there are any good USPSA shooters on your squad for your first match, you will understand a new definition of "full-speed"...

Also, don't get married to the idea of shooting Limited Minor. You are at a severe scoring disadvantage. Instead I would advise you to shoot production with your G17, then if you want to shoot limited look at a .40 caliber Glock (G35 most likely) if you are a "Glock guy".

I disagree with this advice. While the OP will probably end up in production, they just asked about trying their first match. Limited minor will allow them to do so without buying a ton of extra magazines and pouches. It's unlikely they'll be in the running to win either way, so why not just use what you own?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Full-speed "for me". I mean, FFS guys, I understand that Ms and GMs can do some unbelievably fast shooting. I'm never going to be that fast, I simply don't have the time and circumstances to do the practice and compete at that level. I just want to be a better shooter overall, hence why I want to shoot USPSA.

I understand why you're saying this, but I honestly just want to shoot with my mags full for once, and Production ain't gonna do that. I'll do a few matches with various guns/divisions and see where I want to end up. I am just not enthusiastic about getting in .40S&W.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    well, I am a competitive sort of guy, and my thinking is if I'm gonna get into a competitive sport then I would like to know how to be as successful as I can be, as soon as I can.

but if you are just getting in to shoot for fun and not to push to be competitive then have at it.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Unless you shoot like Cody Baker or JJ Racaza, you aren't going anywhere near full speed. For comparison, IDPA "Masters" can usually get a B level classification in USPSA at best... but there's still A, Master, and Grandmaster above that.

This is GM level shooting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7AxjUMZmsk

hahaha that is high level OPEN div GM shooting a crazy fast hoser stage. that is an extreme example. let's not scare the poor guy away from USPSA!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    well, I am a competitive sort of guy, and my thinking is if I'm gonna get into a competitive sport then I would like to know how to be as successful as I can be, as soon as I can.
    I was assuming this worked like IDPA, where if I'm shooting SSP, I'm not competing against the guys running PCCs really. If I'm competing in Limited Minor, though, the guys I'm competing against are the guys in Limited Minor, right? Like, I get that I'm not going to post up the same scores as guys shooting Limited Major or Open.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I was assuming this worked like IDPA, where if I'm shooting SSP, I'm not competing against the guys running PCCs really. If I'm competing in Limited Minor, though, the guys I'm competing against are the guys in Limited Minor, right? Like, I get that I'm not going to post up the same scores as guys shooting Limited Major or Open.

No, you'd be shooting against everyone in limited, but only scored minor. That's why you're at a disadvantage, your non A zone hits are worth less.

There is an overall match winner for all divisions combined, but don't worry about that til you're an M or better in a major scored division or PCC.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    No, you'd be shooting against everyone in limited, but only scored minor. That's why you're at a disadvantage, your non A zone hits are worth less.

There is an overall match winner for all divisions combined, but don't worry about that til you're an M or better in a major scored division or PCC.

Correct. I honestly don't know anyone who shoots Limited minor that has shot more than 2 matches or so.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there are a fair # of folks that shoot a lot of 3 gun (where major power factor doesn't help you in any way) that shoot uspsa from time to time with their 9mm limited guns. still a lot of fun but generally you won't hang with the guys shooting major because of the scoring disadvantage.

op i wouldn't get too worked up. shoot what you want, in what division you want. you can always do something different later. most matches don't have a truck on the prize table much less a hat, just for fun and some pride and to not get laughed at too much by your buddies...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not only have I shot Limited Minor (9mm and .357 SIG before they allowed it) I have also shot Open Minor. This was before my knees stopped me from shooting USPSA at all. Got one knee done and possibly one to go in 2019. For Limited get yourself some +5 extended basepads by Arredondo or Taran Tactical (I use both). That will put your mags at the max of 140mm for Limited. In USPSA 22 rounds is almost 100% better than 17 rounds. I keep a couple of stock mags to use in IPDA with my G17. Shooting what you actually have is fine. I have an Open Major STI that I have not shot in about 3 years. I have been shooting the G34 I built for 3Gun Open/Unlimited in pistol competition a lot over the last 4 years.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Correct. I honestly don't know anyone who shoots Limited minor that has shot more than 2 matches or so.
    I shot a lot of matches in USPSA Limited Minor over the years, first with a Bul M-5 in 9x23mm that was an IPSC Limited 10 gun and later with my 3Gun Unlimited G34 by swapping out the ported barrel and optic/slide for bare ones. All my mags are 140mm extended anyway. Only reason I have not shot USPSA in a few years is my knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom