• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walleyeco

Feb 10, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Need some help on this one. Our company shares a parking lot with several other companies. The lot is a private lot that is owned/managed by the property managers. Our company policy doesn't allow firearms in company spaces and is also saying that they aren't allowed in the parking lot. Is the parking lot restriction legal for a CCW permit carrier? Thanks for any advice..

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I know of some companies that are hugely antigun, that officially say no way no how, but unofficially say if they dont know about it, they can't do anything about it.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    From my understanding, not a legal issue unless they find out, tell you to leave, and you refuse (trespass). They can, however, fire you for it if they find out.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Need some help on this one. Our company shares a parking lot with several other companies. The lot is a private lot that is owned/managed by the property managers. Our company policy doesn't allow firearms in company spaces and is also saying that they aren't allowed in the parking lot. Is the parking lot restriction legal for a CCW permit carrier? Thanks for any advice..

If the lot is owned by someone else I don’t see how they can say the parking lot is company space. How do they plan to stop customers from leaving guns in their cars when they come? What about employees and customers for the other businesses? They can’t. If I was in your situation I’d just secure my firearm in my vehicle and call it a day. They’re not going to come out and search your car.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the lot is owned by someone else I don’t see how they can say the parking lot is company space. How do they plan to stop customers from leaving guns in their cars when they come? What about employees and customers for the other businesses? They can’t. If I was in your situation I’d just secure my firearm in my vehicle and call it a day. They’re not going to come out and search your car.

Unless the OP mentions a gun in the car.

OP, never say whether you have a firearm in the car. Never let anyone search your vehicle either.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Unless you live in a state that has adopted a law to protect the rights of firearms owners (Maryland ain’t one), a private employer can adopt any type of firearms policy that it wants, including with respect to keeping a firearm in a car that is parked on property owned, leased or used by the company. Some states - mostly in the south - have enacted laws protecting an employee’s right to store a firearm in his or her private vehicle, limiting an employer’s ability to search an employee’s private vehicle for guns, prohibiting discrimination based on gun ownership, requiring employers who prohibit guns at work to post notices to that effect, and limiting the liability of an employer that allows guns at work.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I don't mess with the Airport , Fed's , State buildings all else is fair game . I don't care about signs or suggestions , i carry 24/7 for the most part . This is just me , others are welcomed to do other things .

If the parking lot is used by other companies then how does your company monitor the other employees or visitors using said parking lot . ???

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    As mentioned above......policy is not a law so from the legal side your gtg but you would still have to deal with the consequences from your employer if they could prove you had a firearm in your vehicle, but again as others have mentioned, don’t let anyone search your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I worked for a large company (3000 employees) in Baltimore County...

There policy was simple...

NO GUNS ON THEIR PROPERTY...

Employees found with guns will be fired on the spot, no excuses...

I went to work for many years with my guns & bag locked in my trunk...

2 - 3 times a week I went to an indoor range after work...

The trick was simple: NEVER tell ANYONE that you even OWN guns...

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I worked for a large company (3000 employees) in Baltimore County...

There policy was simple...

NO GUNS ON THEIR PROPERTY...

Employees found with guns will be fired on the spot, no excuses...

I went to work for many years with my guns & bag locked in my trunk...

2 - 3 times a week I went to an indoor range after work...

The trick was simple: NEVER tell ANYONE that you even OWN guns...
    :thumbsup:

A-Wise-Old-Owl1.jpg

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    The wrong coworker thinking there might be a firearm in your vehicle could effectively red flag your employment. Don't put it past someone to use information as a career step.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The wrong coworker thinking there might be a firearm in your vehicle could effectively red flag your employment. Don't put it past someone to use information as a career step.

I agree with this...not worth it to do every day. Just my opinion. The off chance you need it right before work or after, I'd probably do it on those select occasions.

May 8, 2018
    Does anyone here know the actual rules/law for Maryland with regards to leaving a firearm in ones car if they have a Maryland CCW. I understand not on federal property /airport post office / etc. What about going into a office that has physical security that would find said concealed device. If left in the car does it have to be in a secured container, ( not glove box) loaded or unloaded or is the trunk a secure place.

Also anyone know this rule in DC or VA by any chance?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Does anyone here know the actual rules/law for Maryland with regards to leaving a firearm in ones car if they have a Maryland CCW. I understand not on federal property /airport post office / etc. What about going into a office that has physical security that would find said concealed device. If left in the car does it have to be in a secured container, ( not glove box) loaded or unloaded or is the trunk a secure place.

Also anyone know this rule in DC or VA by any chance?

There is no MD law prohibiting leaving handguns in ones car, how ever i am not a lawyer and you should do your own research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom