• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Just getting my reloading bench set up after my move. I have a 6' x 3' bench and I'm trying to figure out how to configure it.

For the last several years I have been loading only for long range rifle...using two single stage presses just so I can keep two dies in place all the time. Not necessary but I was loading quite a bit for awhile.

I just bought a used Dillon 550 with the goal of loading 38 Super, 30 Carbine and 45 ACP wadcutters (for bullseye). I've never set it up or used anything like it.

I also have a MEC 9000 that I've been thinking about setting up...I formerly used a MEC Grabber...for 12 gauge shotgun shells. That's a lower priority with the cost of shells vs. the cost of reloading.

I have a Hornady automatic powder dispenser, a tumbler and a Franklin case prep machine as well.

Then there's ALL the other stuff that goes along with reloading.

Any thoughts about whether or not all that would fit on my bench and ideas about how to configure things?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My first thought is to put it in front of a window, there are many pics of reloading benches benchs bench's on the forum. Good Luck.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It sounds to me that you'll be just fine with your bench with the items mentioned. I would personally get that tumbler, if a media type, out of your living area ideally.

Just by way of mention, one of the biggest and one of the
    rather unique challenges I have found with reloading setups has to do with component storage. Especially if you load (or will come to load) for numerous cartridges, you wind up with components that tend to have a few things in common. That is, they tend to be small, they tend to be numerous, and both primers and bullets tend to be heavy. Heavy and small and numerous to the point where many methods of conventional cabinet storage are less than ideal.

Your idea setup will IMO allow you to see what components you have on hand at a glance. Think cubby hole type heavy duty shelving. Otherwise, you may come to find that a lot of your component needs can tend to eat more work space on your bench itself than you may otherwise want.

Good Luck!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I also just bought a Dillon 650XL for reloading 9mm, and am re-organizing my bench. You should consider using Inline Fab's quick change system. It is basically the only way to fly when it comes to multiple presses:
    https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

The plan is to have one "press station" using the Inline Fab quick change system, and keep my Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock single-stage permanently mounted as the other press. As you've noted, single stage presses are just too convenient not to have around. Currently, I've got a Lee Classic Turret and the aforementioned 650XL, but I think I will eventually pick up a shotgun press as well (Lee Load-All II, probably) just so I've got the capability... maybe I'll load slugs.

I have an RCBS Power Trim Pro mounted - it's huge and I don't love the trim uniformity, but it does good work quickly, especially with the tri-cutter. I also have an RCBS Uniflow on a stand, but jury's out as to whether I keep it on there long-term or just move to a Chargemaster. The Uniflow is fast and gives me a fairly reliable drop, but the CM would be more accurate. Eh. The RCBS bench primer is probably going; I gave it a chance, and simply put, I don't feel like it's substantially better than just priming on the Lee press, especially given how fast you can reload primers on it.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Some pix of the inline quick change station and a dock for when I want the press off the bench...

Both the vise and press mount to the same plate.

11aaea4d34659817470e47f16db3a65b.jpg

d1a708db5c72fef77ddccb188967f11b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Too many presses for that length bench.

I see two choices. One is the quick change setup. But then you have to figure out where to put the presses not in use. You could also, say, mount the 550, and then quick change the others.

Other choice, another bench. With out without quick change. Mount 2 presses on your current bench (the two most likely to be used), and then another bench to the other ones.

For component storage, I build my benches with a lower shelf. And store bullets there. Makes the bench more stable. I have steel shelves for the other things (powder, primers, cases). And LOTS of Akro bins. :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I see two choices. One is the quick change setup. But then you have to figure out where to put the presses not in use. You could also, say, mount the 550, and then quick change the others.
    If you're like me and committed to spending a bunch of money at Inline Fab, they have a number of options for storing stuff when not in use using their rail system.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Consider using some (C) clamps for awhile. That would allow you to shift equipment around and experiment with different configurations. Good luck.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you're like me and committed to spending a bunch of money at Inline Fab, they have a number of options for storing stuff when not in use using their rail system.

Yeah, but you still need a PLACE to put them. :)

And a 550, is not small.

k3usr

Nov 16, 2007
    +1 for the inline fab quick mount system. I'm guilty of spending a bunch of money at Inline Fab :)

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    For component storage, I build my benches with a lower shelf. And store bullets there. Makes the bench more stable. I have steel shelves for the other things (powder, primers, cases). And LOTS of Akro bins. :D

I lagged my bench into the stud wall behind it so it won’t move. Love having bullets and brass right there and primers/powder nearby

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Yeah, but you still need a PLACE to put them. :)

And a 550, is not small.

The docking tray for the 550 bolts well into the 2x4 studs behind the 3/4” play wood I put up on the wall in my storage room. I doubled up the stud so I would have enough structure to hold the weight. I’m delivering the youngest to OleMiss but will verify docking tray hole spacing when I get back home

Am adding some of their rail for tool head and primer fill tube storage.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    What is the black material you topped the bench with? I was going to put Masonite on mine.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I once had a carpenter tell me that workbench tops are supposed to be sacrificial. Make it so the top can be easily replaced or covered over.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A reloading bench top is not sacrificial.

I did mine in matte white laminate.

Easy to see small parts and powder and primers.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'd say that the least desirable aspect of my bench is when small parts in my hands slip while over it and hit its formica surface, they subsequently bounce to locations much further away (on the floor) than I'd ever expect. Primers, bullets, screws, Dillon locator buttons, washers, you name it. Some of these have been lost and never recovered. One such loss (a custom gun part) cost me $30 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom