• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EKKG

Nov 13, 2019
    My brother passed away 4 years ago, my sister in law has decided that she doesn't want his handgun anymore and told me I could have it.
    When I fill out the 77r, is it a gift or an inheritance? He was my half brother, same mother, so we don't have the same last name, is that an issue? Lastly, he purchased this gun in he early 70's, my guess is it's probably not even registered. Maybe I should just use the voluntary regisration option instead.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A lawyer might answer the question this way..."What gun?" But realistically you need to do this legally. Maybe all you need to do is take it to a MSP barrack...leave the piece in your car...and tell the Trooper behind the glass you have a handgun you want to register. I don't know but it could be as simple as that. You can get on the MSP website and see if the Q&A answers that question.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    AFAIK, it's a gift unless it is left to your name in a will.

This. If you aren’t named in the will or considered the immediate next of kin by the state it’s a gift. My brother died last year. My sister-in-law got it all. She gave me a number of things of my brothers and had no objections to a couple of other things I wanted. But they were gifts from her to me at that point.

A conversation I need to have with my wife’s uncle at some point. No one own’s guns in her family except him. He and I go shooting from time to time and I am the only family member who also hunts as he does. He’s mentioned leaving stuff to me some day. But he’s also the type not to do a will and with all of the interstate stuff and he owns some stuff that’s banned in MD now (he bought it well before 2013)...anyway, if he’s comfortable doing it, even a real simple will naming me would make all that stuff massively easier some year.

I hope he lives a whole lot more years, but he’s in his 60s now (youngest brother of my father-in-law) and not in the best of health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom