• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    As for trap and clays, I don't plan on doing anything competitive. Just shooting a few rounds every now and then for fun. If I decide to get really into it, I would go get a dedicated trap gun.

Something that will shoot target loads but also handle buckshot and maybe some slugs would be great, since then I can play with it a bit on the 50ft and 50yd ranges too.

My last shotgun was a little .410. I just borrowed my dads guns whenever I had the bug to go shoot some trap. But I think its high time I got my own. There's no way I can afford anything like his immaculate Benelli over and under though.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    3.5 just wastes money for the most part. You'll be able to do just fine with 3". The 870 is a good general purpose gun that can be transformed into just about anything. Of course, it'd be cheaper to just get an 870 configured in what you want it to be to begin with. For clay games, a semiauto is much easier to do well with than a pump once you start getting two clays in the air/ground(over/under easier still since you can use two different chokes to match the presentation of the clays).

If you're mostly using it for sporting purposes, it may be better to just save a bit and get a beretta ureka, 1100, m2, or maxus(depending on how much you can save). If you're eventually going to get a short barrel with ghost ring sights and mag extension, you'd be better off just getting an 870 already configured like that.

As for the finish on te 870's....it rusts. It's mainly meant to be porous and essentially store a protectant of some kind rather than be a good corrosion barrier itself. Youd be wise to invest in some eezox if you plan on taking your 870 somewhere with lots of moisture. Another option would be to buy an 870 with the camo, powder coating, or nickel plating(marine). I'm suggesting the camo for corrosion resistance because it's essentially paint over the metal and does a decent job.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    curious as to why they wouldnt let you shoot it?

Some places have barrel length restrictions because tactical guns are scary looking when you're trying to catch the wabbit. It's funny to see someone allowed to use a coach gun, but not an 870 tactical for sporting clays.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Sweet! I wish my wife would show an interest in hunting it would be a great excuse to add tothe arsenal! Not sure my wife could handle the stay quiet part though :)

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the input guys. This gives me a lot to think about. :)
    The 1100 is gorgeous. Hmm... I may just have to get both eventually. :)

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    J, I've got the 870 next to my bed and a thousand rounds of 7½ shot for trap/skeet. Go take it for a test drive lol.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    J, I've got the 870 next to my bed and a thousand rounds of 7½ shot for trap/skeet. Go take it for a test drive lol.

No joke? I was thinking about taking my dad down for a couple rounds of trap this weekend. I might have to take you up on that.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    No joke? I was thinking about taking my dad down for a couple rounds of trap this weekend. I might have to take you up on that.

Do it. It'll motivate me to put the AR next to my bed... which will motivate me to finally get a light for it... :D:thumbsup:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    OP... buy a gun best suited for what you will be using it for the most. In your case that sound like Trap, so buy a Trap gun. The Express is not a Trap gun and does not come in that configuration. There are both new and used Remington Wingmaster Trap guns that would serve you WAY better than a field gun. They also handle buckshot well and do a reasonable job with foster type slugs. The Wingmaster is much better in the fit and finish department, whereas the Express is a rough utility gun. There are lots of 870 trap guns around at very reasonable prices.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    J-Dog.... sorry for this late reply, but...

An 870 Trap is designed to shoot trap (a rising target) and thus shoots a bit higher. The stock is longer & heavier and the comb has less drop. The stock is designed to shoot with a pre-mounted gun. This design also has less felt recoil. The recoil pad on most trap guns are concave, allowing for a more comfortable and more consistent mount.
    Most 870 trap guns have a slight step rib, allowing for better and easier (less strained) vision of the target. Most 870 trap guns have 30" bbls, which is a pretty good length for trap with a pump. The older 870 trap guns were fixed chokes, with the vast majority being Full. Any fixed choke bbl will handle buckshot and will also handle foster type slugs. The newer trap guns have choke tubes. I prefer a fixed choke.

The Express is a utility field gun. It is designed to hunt with. The stock is shorter and the comb is lower to facilitate quick mounting in a hunting situation. The gun is lighter due to either the use of plastic stocks or wood that is less dense than that used in a Wingmaster. This all adds up to more recoil, something that takes it's effect on everyone. The bbl on the Express field gun is either 26" or 28" and all have choke tubes. The bbl has a flat rib and shoots flat (50/50), which makes it OK for a new (slow) shooter at trap, but as soon as you learn how to shoot trap, that flat shooting bbl is a handicap. The finish on the Express does not hold up like bluing and is prone to rust. It's best to hose them down with a spray oil after each use - if you don't keep after them, they WILL rust.

So, it depends on what your main use for the gun will be. If you mainly shoot trap, either recreationally or competitively a trap gun will best fit your needs. Also, a trap gun works well for waterfowl, doves and longer buckshot shots.

If you only intend to hunt and not to shoot trap, then a field gun might be a better choice. Also know that Wingmasters came in Trap, Skeet and Field versions at one time. Today they come in Trap and Field versions. They cost twice as much as an Express, but they are 10X nicer.

Last edited:

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Thanks for the info blackthrone. I didn't know that trap barrels were made to shoot higher than others.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Buy a police trade in Wingmaster. Way below your 500$ limit and a wonderful, quality shotgun.

To me, a pump shotgun is and can only be the 870.

It always baffled me why anyone would feel the need to trade an 870 in, unless it was run over by a truck. They last forever. I guess the police feel the need for the newest and prettiest gun when they are spending other people's money.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    i have an 870 express magnum with the 26in barrell, i have shot trap with it (singles only) and it works pretty well. for doubles i would not recommend it.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I have some thinking to do.
    I think its going to be between the 870 and the 500, mainly because of price, unless I can grab something nicer for cheap. I'm not quite ready to buy just yet though. I don't mind using a non-trap specifing gun to start off with. I just have to go handle some guns to see what I like best I guess.

I mostly plan on shooting trap singles for fun with maybe a turkey hunting trip and some slug fun thrown in for good measure. If I start getting into skeet or sporting clays, I'll probably end up getting an auto sometime down the road. But for now a pump should do me just fine, since my collection also needs a Mosin and an SKS, plus, if the wife turns out to like trap shooting, I'll probably be picking up another shotgun in 20ga sooner or later. Can't break the meager bank on the first one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom