• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Looking for tips or advice. I’ve been asking a lot of questions since getting my AR.

Yesterday I ran a couple hundred rounds through it, spaced out by using loading time and shooting my other guns in between. when finished shooting it took a while for the barrel to cool down which I know is expected.

What have you done to cool down the barrel faster? I read on another forum to open up the chamber so air flows through better and one said rest it in a vertical position to let heat escape. The ranges I have gone to so far definitely won’t go for the latter of the two.

My son and I were sitting around waiting for 15 minutes until I was comfortable it was cool enough to pack up. Got to see a few other shoot some fun things but the range was eager to get me out so others could get in.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There's a fan that's made that plugs into the mag well and blows air up through the barrel if you're interested in cooling it down. The simple solution is to just get four or five more ARs and rotate through them ;-)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a chamber flag that blows air though the barrel to help cool it at matches.

Maybe being another gun to shoot at the range for casual shooting?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Get a water cooler kit, like this one. Group buy? :innocent0

Attachments

• Water cooled.jpg
      Water cooled.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 623

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Dunno what kind of accuracy or range you're going for with the AR, but anything more than the fan-assisted chamber plugs to move air are going to cause uneven barrel cooling. That'll warp and twist the barrel that it won't damage it, but you'll definitely have significant POI shift at range. Step one to cool faster would definitely be to leave the bolt open, most purpose-built machine guns and even adapted AR platforms for rapid fire do open-bolt operation for the exact reason of facilitating airflow.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Hell, I've never given it any consideration. I've shot over 1000 a day for a week in training and never had an issue with worrying about my barrel cooling....not a precision gun but a fighting gun....meh, I wouldn't worry about it....

Just let it cool a few minutes so you dont burn your case.... that's all I'd worry about.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    A few shoots that I went to recently the machine guns were being cooled in buckets of water after each mag :shrug:

Attachments

• 1C4DFF73-06CB-41D4-9909-FBA7380BB694.jpg
      1C4DFF73-06CB-41D4-9909-FBA7380BB694.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 296

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Hell, I've never given it any consideration. I've shot over 1000 a day for a week in training and never had an issue with worrying about my barrel cooling....not a precision gun but a fighting gun....meh, I wouldn't worry about it....

Just let it cool a few minutes so you dont burn your case.... that's all I'd worry about.

Same. Most cases I have also are heat resistant. I guess worse case it leaves some plastic to burn off the next time I shoot.

hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    Ffl transfer

Thinking about ordering a rifle online. Anyone know someone with a ffl license in central md or eastern shore , with reasonable fees. Thanks.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thinking about ordering a rifle online. Anyone know someone with a ffl license in central md or eastern shore , with reasonable fees. Thanks.

Unsolicited advice. Often, once you pay shipping and transfer fees you aren’t saving any money with online “deals”. If you know what you want, post up in the “industry partners” forum. You may find a better deal.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Helpful hot barrel hint: I keep a couple of old towels in my range bag. If I have to case a rifle that I feel is too warm for comfort, wrap the barrel in a towel to prevent it from directly touching any foam/plastic in the case.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    If the gas tube isn't glowing orange or your hand guards are still on it put it in the case and go. If your barrel cooked off a round maybe wait 5 minus with the bolt open.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IF you can put your fingers on the barrel and hold it there for 10 seconds w/o extreme pain then its typically 140F or less and won't melt anything in a case unless you have very cheap HDPE foam or some other cheap stuff. Might not be a bad idea to find out what you have in your case and the melting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom