• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Techguy

Jun 13, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I'm looking to buy a cheap 22lr pistol, it must be $400 or under and have a threaded barrel. so far from my research I have found two I like one is the sig mosquito and the other is the firefly by ATI which looks like a clone of the sig. I'm just unsure about their reliability.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I have a Walther p22. Decent little pistol for a decent price. I also picked up a couple of the after market mags from keep shooting and they are money (plus your buying from an industry partner here)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm looking to buy a cheap 22lr pistol, it must be $400 or under and have a threaded barrel. so far from my research I have found two I like one is the sig mosquito and the other is the firefly by ATI which looks like a clone of the sig. I'm just unsure about their reliability.

Their reliability is garbage. Buy a ruger, buckmark, or m&p22 if you want them to be reliable.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I would not recommend a P22. Mine only works with CCI ammo and I can't hit anything with it. Although that may be me on the shooting. I have the higher end PPQ22 and it seems a bit better, but I'm not that impressed either. Both are a bit difficult to clean, but easier than and Ruger IMHO.

I curious as well regarding a 22 semi pistol.

I have two Mark IIs and they are both excellent. They seem to work with all ammo as long as they are clean. (5 or 6 inch tapered and 10 inch bull). Both bought well used and cheap.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I really enjoy my M&P compact 22. I could do without the stupid little barrel adapter that requires a tool to get the slide off but other than that I am an very happy with it. It runs great with a suppressor for about 500 rounds before it gets completely gummed up.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Haven't owned one, but did rent a Bersa at the range, you could tell it had put a lot of rounds down range and really needed a cleaning, but it ran like a champ. Also don't know if they offer them with a threaded barrel.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster

Do not, do not, do not buy either, if you actually want to shoot. If your goal is to practice your tap, rack, no bang then tap ,rack again these are the guns for you. They are exceptionally bad with sub sonic rounds. They will work better with CCI mini mags, not good but better, but the minis are fast enough that they make a crack even when suppressed. I speak from personal experience not from what I have read. I do have a Colt 1911 made by Walther that is just the opposite. It shoots everything, over 3000 rounds, fifteen different types of ammo with hardly a problem.

awdnick2986

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2013
    I have the Ruger SR-22 and love it. I have never had an issue with it and it eats up all ammo.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Do not, do not, do not buy either, if you actually want to shoot. If your goal is to practice your tap, rack, no bang then tap ,rack again these are the guns for you. They are exceptionally bad with sub sonic rounds. They will work better with CCI mini mags, not good but better, but the minis are fast enough that they make a crack even when suppressed. I speak from personal experience not from what I have read. I do have a Colt 1911 made by Walther that is just the opposite. It shoots everything, over 3000 rounds, fifteen different types of ammo with hardly a problem.
    Looks like they are the same gun anyway. And sums up my experience with the GSG/Sig 22 conversion.
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/ati-gsg-firefly-pistol-misses-mark/#axzz5YSOJqne2

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    My P-22 is very particular about ammo but works well once you figure out what ammo to use. I also have a threaded Ruger 22/45 that works flawlessly. I had a Browning 5.5 Field that I had threaded. The Browning was the easiest to clean. You can find any of these for under $400 if you're not in a hurry.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a SIG Mosquito that I picked up cheap from a forum member.

Once I cleaned and lubed it, it runs fine, but only on CCI MiniMags. Other brands of supersonic .22 doesn't work.

I am happy at the price I paid, but I would not recommend one.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I don't have one, but I have seen many conversions out there for popular high caliber handguns to 22LR. Not sue if possible to get these with threaded barrels. The most recent one I saw was for a CZ75.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I love my SR22. It does have the threaded barrel but I don't have anything to put on it yet.

Me too. Eats everything but subsonic (just need to rack it). Also very easy to clean w/ the fixed barrel, just pop the slide off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom