• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Ok, so my wife beat me into submission,
    yet again...against my better judgement and despite my many adamant protestations, we are having a wood stove installed in a few weeks.

I am in Prince Frederick.

Need a really solid source for good dried hardwood, cut, split, delivered and hopefully stacked.

Any suggestions?

(Yes, I can lay in my own, but wanted to
    establish a relationship with a local, reliable source.)

Also, as an aside, I talked my wife into
    trying to make our own stuffed ham this year...which, NY-er though I am, I love.
    Her family has been down here for about
    230 years...still not considered an “old
    family” by some...her older sisters made the
    ham in past years but are no longer able.
    If I want it, we now have to make it or buy it...figured it will be a fun family project!

Living in “Cawvert” and loving it!!!!!

Last edited:

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Congrats on the stove I put one in last year and love it. What stove did you end up with?
    Stoves run best with wood under 20% moisture and it’s really rare that you’ll find wood being sold in that range even though everyone advertises wood as seasoned you can bet it’s not. Fresh cut oak will take three seasons of being split and stacked to get there... your best bet is to start hoarding wood now and try to build up a multi year supply. For this year look at burning compressed wood bricks. You can mix them in with less than ideal cord wood to get you through the season. Good luck!

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    or go to your local flooring store that installs and sands/finishes unfinished hardwood flooring, and ask if you can take any unuseable bundles. they are usually 7-11% in MC, and burn very clean as long as you know its not prefinished material. the size is great to burn and cut to fit into stove. or ask an installer if they have any unused unfinished flooring they don't need. a good amount of flooring installers who install unfinished hardwood floors will have squirreled unused bundles, and eventually gets to be a bit much to store as a stand by.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Congrats on the stove I put one in last year and love it. What stove did you end up with?
    Stoves run best with wood under 20% moisture and it’s really rare that you’ll find wood being sold in that range even though everyone advertises wood as seasoned you can bet it’s not. Fresh cut oak will take three seasons of being split and stacked to get there... your best bet is to start hoarding wood now and try to build up a multi year supply. For this year look at burning compressed wood bricks. You can mix them in with less than ideal cord wood to get you through the season. Good luck!
    Best advice, ^

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Careful of what they call a cord. Thrown in a truck is less than stacked by volume.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you have Facebook look at the market place..

The one I buy from few years back has been increasing his price.

I got some from another place last year and they were meh.

Found a new guy via FB and he came all the way from Faulkner/la plata. Got a chord of oak for $200 + delivery.. (about the same price of mixed hardwood on couple place I've called this year).

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Ok, so my wife beat me into submission,
    yet again...against my better judgement and despite my many adamant protestations, we are having a wood stove installed in a few weeks.

I am in Prince Frederick.

Need a really solid source for good dried hardwood, cut, split, delivered and hopefully stacked.

Any suggestions?

(Yes, I can lay in my own, but wanted to
    establish a relationship with a local, reliable source.)

Also, as an aside, I talked my wife into
    trying to make our own stuffed ham this year...which, NY-er though I am, I love.
    Her family has been down here for about
    230 years...still not considered an “old
    family” by some...her older sisters made the
    ham in past years but are no longer able.
    If I want it, we now have to make it or buy it...figured it will be a fun family project!

Living in “Cawvert” and loving it!!!!!
    Mckays over in Charlotte Hall sells the greens for the stuffed ham. Maybe thats kinda cheating but they so a good job with it. They have hot and mild.
    Q

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The wood you buy now, will be for next winter . At the latest , purchase in the spring for that year's later use .

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    My father was a forester and gave me a good appreciation for what a cord truly is. There can be a fair bit of variability, but the basic 4'X4'X8' is a good measure.

Just for reference: https://www.woodheat.org/cord-wood.html (Good info on this site)

What is a Cord? And How to Avoid Paying Too Much for One

The official measurement of firewood is a “cord”, but that word can be used differently in some regions and it can be misused by some firewood dealers.

Img1-cord.h1
    One full cord
    A full cord is a large amount of wood. It measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a volume of 128 cubic feet. The amount of solid wood in a cord varies depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about 85 cubic feet. The rest of the cord volume is air space.

A 'full' cord (4' x 4' x 8') is the official, standard firewood measure, but four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell firewood in that form. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement, which is why buying firewood can be confusing.

One-third of a full cord has pieces 16 inches long
    Other terms, such as face cord, stove cord or furnace cord are sometimes used to describe a stack of wood measuring 4 ft. high and 8 ft. long with a piece length shorter than 4 ft. A common firewood piece length is 16 inches, or one-third of a full cord, but other lengths are also available.

Because a winter's supply can cost several hundred dollars, you don't want to be confused when you are purchasing firewood. If you want to compare prices from a number of suppliers, take a tape measure to the dealers' yards and measure the average piece length. If the dealer does not price the wood in the standard full cord measure, convert the price to this basic unit. Here are some examples to illustrate the conversion.

Forest Firewood sells what they call a 'face cord' for $75. You find that the pile is 4 feet high and 8 feet long, with an average piece length of 16 inches. Divide this length (16 in.) into the full cord length of 48 in. and multiply by the price.

48 ÷ 16 = 3 x $75 = $225.

Therefore, Forest Firewood sells firewood for $225 per cord.

Sparky sells what he calls a 'stove cord' for $60. It is a pile measuring 4 feet by 8 feet with an average length of 12 inches. The calculation is:

48 ÷ 12 = 4 x $60 = $240.

Therefore, Sparky sells firewood for $240 per cord.

Frontier Fuel sells a 4 foot x 8 foot x 18 inch 'furnace cord' for $85. The result is:

48 ÷ 18 = 2.67 x $85 = $227.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cord is a real unit ( 4 x 4 x 8 ) .

In Md , if it is advertised/ sold as a Cord , it has to be a real Cord .

But Md does allow wood to be advertised / sold by other terminologies . In Maryland speak , a " Rack" is generally 4 x 8 x nominal fireplace widths .. And respective half and quarter racks . Also is allowed to be sold by visual quantity, ie X $ for that stack over there, or $Y for what's in the back of that truck .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    We burned wood most of my life but now I don’t and I miss it

We always cut and split and piled, not stacked, 10 cords after the first frost for the next year and we cut 5 more cords and split and piled it before we planted in the spring

We started the fires with seasoned wood then burned 2/3 seasoned and 1/3 green to make the wood burn more steady and the fires last longer

We burned wood for heat and in the cook stove about 8 months of the year, we got an electric stove for cooking in the hot months about the same time we got an indoor bathroom, sometime in the late 60’s

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Loveville Timber works. Used them for many years and always treated me right. Delivers more wood than I expect and it is usually pretty dry. With my moisture meter it is usually around 18%, sometimes better. Don't think he will stack, although you might be able to work something out with him.

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2014/18677.php
    http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Loveville-Timberworks-LLC-240-434-1616
    Couple years back.. I called him and he was in UMD (open house event). He said text him my address so I did and never heard back from him. So I found another person that year.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    My father was a forester and gave me a good appreciation for what a cord truly is. There can be a fair bit of variability, but the basic 4'X4'X8' is a good measure.

Just for reference: https://www.woodheat.org/cord-wood.html (Good info on this site)
    Cord is a real unit ( 4 x 4 x 8 ) .

In Md , if it is advertised/ sold as a Cord , it has to be a real Cord .

But Md does allow wood to be advertised / sold by other terminologies . In Maryland speak , a " Rack" is generally 4 x 8 x nominal fireplace widths .. And respective half and quarter racks . Also is allowed to be sold by visual quantity, ie X $ for that stack over there, or $Y for what's in the back of that truck .
    Both good info..

But in reality most sellers doesn't have time to measure or prestack their supply. They rely on their delivery truck.. load as quickly as they can (which typically not packed properly) and go... call it a day.

Most of what I buy is pretty much close or little over than a cord.. except last years. Hence I got different guy this year.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    If you have Facebook look at the market place..

The one I buy from few years back has been increasing his price.

I got some from another place last year and they were meh.

Found a new guy via FB and he came all the way from Faulkner/la plata. Got a chord of oak for $200 + delivery.. (about the same price of mixed hardwood on couple place I've called this year).

If you could pm me his number or post it in this thread. Been looking for some wood(three cords) and had a guy suppose to deliver for going on two weeks now and still don't have a delivery. Thanks!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you could pm me his number or post it in this thread. Been looking for some wood(three cords) and had a guy suppose to deliver for going on two weeks now and still don't have a delivery. Thanks!
    Looking at your info.. he's closer to you..

I'll pm his info..

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida

Thank you - and all!
    Sorry I have not gotten back on this sooner.

On the stuffed ham thing, we hit the McKay’s.
    Hat a ton of fun with the staff, and a great
    sandwich. They have corned hand pretty much every day between now and the holidays. So, we are going to try to recreate
    the old family recipe using one of those. (MY family usually settled for a good pizza back in
    NY...)

On the wood stove:

We bought a Hearthston Phoenix, which is a soapstone version that caught the wife’s eye. Gets installed in a week and a half. I have some prep work to do on the floor in front of the existing fireplace...just gotta find that doggone “round tuit” that I know is around here somewhere.

Great info on wood.

Will try a recommended source willing to come here to Dares Beach...Nanjemoy (where many of my wife’s ancestors are buried) is probably
    a bit too far for a wood guy...will try reach out to somebody on this side of the Pax River.

Beautiful day out there...the Bay is particularly pretty today! I love October!

God is good!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom