• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Glock 43 if you’re carrying Glock 17 home defense

^^^^^THIS, but a G19 for home defense is fine too.

I will add though, that a Canik TP9 SF and the TP9 SC are every bit as equal to Glocks in reliability with much better triggers, for about $100 less

Though everybody should have at least 1 Glock in case of BIG IGLOO, magazines and parts are plentiful

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glocks are the small block chevys of the pistol world .

( In the context of having the most availability of parts and accessories by a huge margin , sufficient for many buyers to use as a selection factor , which in turn spurs the aftermarket even more . )

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have such mixed feelings about Glocks at this point, and I own something like seven of them in various formats. I think the operating system is pretty solid, but the factory frame ergonomics are just... awful. I am a noticeably better shooter when I simply switch frames to a Polymer80, since it has a double undercut trigger guard, no finger grooves, no "thumb shelf", no grip hump on the bottom, and so on. The Gen5 is an improvement, but I am strongly considering moving off the platform for USPSA, or perhaps to something like the Shadow Systems MR920 when it makes the Production list.

Anyways, my picks:
    1. If you're shooting Production and/or don't care about concealed carry and just want a high performing pistol, Glock 34 Gen5 MOS is where it's at.
    2. If you care about concealed carry, Glock 19 Gen5 MOS would be my pick.
    3. If you're shooting USPSA Carry Optics, go with a Glock 45 Gen5 MOS.

I would not buy a non-MOS Glock at this point. Red dot sights on pistols will be the new standard for everyone who cares about performance inside of ten years, and you want to be ready for it. Holosun was showing off one at SHOT that didn't require batteries - it just charged via solar and retained charge via capacitors for something like 2000 hours. It also direct-mounted into MOS cuts and was low enough that it didn't require suppressor sights for backup irons. The future is almost here.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What's your intended use?

Functionally they're all the same so decision factors should probably be based on ammo type, size, etc...

Will you carry it and if so, how do you prefer to carry it?
    Is it for range/recreation use?
    Is it for protection?
    Etc...

Yeah. Just kind of depends on exact use. I wanted something full size, so my first Glock was a 17. Well, only one so far. I’ll likely have a 19 sooner or later. I plan to throw together either a G34 or 17L slide for the fun of it. If CCW is ever allowed to general peasants I’ll probably get a G43. I also have plans to get a G20 or 40 some day.

I have guns I like more than a Glock, but damned if they don’t just work, are simple and can customize them in a million different ways.

Helps I have fairly large hands. Well, not huge, but a bit above average for my height and I am 6’1”. So a larger grip almost always fits me better than a smaller one. I’ve shot G19 and 43 before and a 19 fits me fine, but a 17 fits my hands a little better and figured the regular +2 capacity and longer sight radius and tiny velocity increase were worthwhile also over the 19. My uses are only ever going to be in a locked box/safe for HD, at the range or in rare occasions open carry on my property.

If I ever HAD to CCW something in an emergency I’d either grab my Cz82 or Cz50.

I’d still like a 19 for funs and if the nobles ever allow peasants to carry I figure it would make a good winter CCW or for hiking and stuff. Probably also locked in my car as a car gun. A 43 would be for more summer weight CCW.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have such mixed feelings about Glocks at this point, and I own something like seven of them in various formats. I think the operating system is pretty solid, but the factory frame ergonomics are just... awful. I am a noticeably better shooter when I simply switch frames to a Polymer80, since it has a double undercut trigger guard, no finger grooves, no "thumb shelf", no grip hump on the bottom, and so on. The Gen5 is an improvement, but I am strongly considering moving off the platform for USPSA, or perhaps to something like the Shadow Systems MR920 when it makes the Production list.

Anyways, my picks:
    1. If you're shooting Production and/or don't care about concealed carry and just want a high performing pistol, Glock 34 Gen5 MOS is where it's at.
    2. If you care about concealed carry, Glock 19 Gen5 MOS would be my pick.
    3. If you're shooting USPSA Carry Optics, go with a Glock 45 Gen5 MOS.

I would not buy a non-MOS Glock at this point. Red dot sights on pistols will be the new standard for everyone who cares about performance inside of ten years, and you want to be ready for it. Holosun was showing off one at SHOT that didn't require batteries - it just charged via solar and retained charge via capacitors for something like 2000 hours. It also direct-mounted into MOS cuts and was low enough that it didn't require suppressor sights for backup irons. The future is almost here.

I think I am one of the few guys we’re a gen 3 Glock frame actually fits my hand really well. The finger bumps line up perfectly for me. I’d prefer an undercut trigger guard...but TBH a Glock gen 3 17 and 19 fit my hand a bit better than a Poly 80 V1.5 17 and V1 19 (haven’t tried a V2 17).

Not sure what my most ergonomic handgun is. Probably a toss up between my P1 and Cz82.

But yeah, I like my P1 and Cz82 more than my G17. I like halfway decent 1911s and 2011s more than my G17. I LOVE Cz75s compared to my G17. I am on the fence if I like 92fs more than a G17. There are plenty of guns I like more than my Glock 17. But there is very, very little I dislike or hate about my Glock. And since I got an actual Glock gen 3 frame for my woods and retired my poly 80 frame, the ONLY failures I’ve had have either been me not inserting the mag hard enough to properly catch on a closed slide and steel cased ammo it on rare occasions doesn’t quite return to battery with about 1 in 50 rounds (at a guess a bit more friction as the round is being chambered along with lower power making it a bit marginal). Zero failures with brass cases ammo in over 500 rounds so far (I had about 1500 with the poly 80, but I could never get my V1.5 running better than about 98%, which was not reliable enough for me. I’ll use it for a 22lr conversion at some point).

It’s my Honda Civic of a hand gun. Not the cheapest, but economy. You can trick it out with probably more aftermarket parts than any other car out there. Reliable AF if treated with even mild kindness and maintenance. Gets you from point A to point B. Everyone should own something like a civic, even if they like taking the Camero or MGB GT our for a spin occasionally.

artbart1

Mar 13, 2017
    Carroll County, MD
    Sorry if I am repeating what others have said, but another option is to get a Glock 23 .40 cal (identical in size to a 19) and then get a 9mm barrel conversion kit. Essentially you'll get 2 guns in one.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    Which Glock to shoot

Its always good to have such a dilemma. I have 21g2, 22, 23, 26 (all G3s) and a certificate for a Glock from a raffle (planning for 34 MOS Gen 5) [have a 9mm conversion for G22] My best liked feature of Glocks is the fact that factory, in caliber, mags function in shorter grips.
    However I like my Spingfield XDM 40 & optic 9mm & XDS 45acp better trigger wise and seem to fit my hand similar to Glocks in comparible sizes.
    For carry, the Sig 365 is my choice and the first handgun that gave me exceptional accuracy & precision out of the box. Plus have a variety of mag caps.

tkummer23

Feb 8, 2017
    Glock 44

Just received a Glock G44 the new .22 cal Glock to find out that it's not on the MSP roster. Paying to send for next meeting and approval. What a rip!!!

mikemild13

Oct 27, 2015
    As others have said, try them all and get the one that makes you smile more. I went with a G19 because it's the most versatile for my needs. It can use any double stack 9mm Glock mags except the G26 10 rounders. Now that PC carbines are becoming more and more popular the G19 will pair well. It's nice to have a handgun and rifle of the same caliber SHTF planning. A few 19's, a couple of Kel-Tec Sub 2000's, and a Ruger PC 9mm all using the same mags makes for a good bug out load.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    As others have said, try them all and get the one that makes you smile more. I went with a G19 because it's the most versatile for my needs. It can use any double stack 9mm Glock mags except the G26 10 rounders. Now that PC carbines are becoming more and more popular the G19 will pair well. It's nice to have a handgun and rifle of the same caliber SHTF planning. A few 19's, a couple of Kel-Tec Sub 2000's, and a Ruger PC 9mm all using the same mags makes for a good bug out load.

When a 33rd fun stick isn’t enough....

https://f5mfg.com/product/new-glock-50-round-9mm-for-the-ar-and-19-compatible-firearms/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom