• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    This is the most dangerous part. Police chief over here is an appointed political hack

They all are.
    Abolish all police departments, police answer to the politicians, sheriff's offices answer to the people.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I think one of major aspects of this act was to discourage the gun shows at Timonium State Fairgrounds. I am sure with the new regulations Appalachian may now just focus on Frederick and Howard County. It would not surprise me if Howard County would decide to enact a similar measure. With the growing number of liberals moving into Frederick County, it too may choose to go this route. My fear is the that the MGA may try to go down this route and make it a state law.

Does anyone have a link to the final bill with amendments? I cannot find anything about it except news reports. I was afraid that the Timonium show would be affected by this as well. Don't give the MGA anymore bad ideas. They already dream up enough garbage as it stands.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Does anyone have a link to the final bill with amendments? I cannot find anything about it except news reports. I was afraid that the Timonium show would be affected by this as well. Don't give the MGA anymore bad ideas. They already dream up enough garbage as it stands.

They're about no interest loans for businesses, some discretion given to Baltimore county police, etc

Nothing of substance. Descriptions are on Baltimore sun

NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    Here's Wade Kach's reply to my email asking him to explain his vote in favor:

Over the last several years, more than seventy firearms have been illegally obtained through the robbery of firearm retailers in Baltimore County. Most of these weapons remain unaccounted for. More likely than not, they have ended up on the Black Market.

There is no doubt that this has complicated our County’s efforts to combat violent crime. As a result of this problem, the County Executive introduced the SAFE Act. This proposal sets up a procedure to license firearm retailers based on required safety improvements to reduce the chances of robbery.

While Maryland has laws which require individuals who own firearms to safely secure them, there are no State or local laws which require firearm retailers to do the same.

One would assume that retailers would want to take measures to protect against robbery. However, there have been a disturbing number of incidents of robbery where despite Baltimore County Police suggesting a number of safety measures to deter theft, some gun retailers refused to take such action in several of these situations, repeat robberies have occurred. These robberies have resulted in additional firearms on the Black Market.

Upon carefully reviewing the legislation, I concluded that enactment of this Bill, as introduced, would have resulted in many gun stops closing, and would have discouraged the location of new stores. In the end, the legislation, as introduced, would have resulted in the closing of all gun shops in Baltimore County over the next 10 years. Independently, Councilman David Marks came to the same conclusion.

We were faced with two options: we could vote against the bill and its overreaching restrictions and its dangerous consequences would become law, with four members already vocally in support, or we could work to significantly improve the proposed legislation. We chose the latter in order to protect existing gun shops and to ensure citizen access to their guaranteed Second Amendment Rights.

The ability of law abiding citizens to be able to legally purchase firearms for protection and sport is a right granted by the Constitution of the United States. Creating a hostile business environment for firearm retailers to locate in our County is very dangerous. All one has to do is look at the violent crime rate in Baltimore City, where there are NO gun shops - certainly not a subdivision we want to emulate.

Knowing that bill would pass, Councilman Marks, our staffs, and I researched the issue in an effort to make sure that the legitimate concerns regarding storage and theft were addressed without gun stores bearing the brunt of the costs or red tape. The ATF has a brochure which discusses “Loss Protection for Firearm Retailers”:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/loss-prevention-firearms-retailers/download

Among others, I used this information a guide to craft amendments to the legislation. The goal of the amendments is to remove the portions of the bill which discourage firearm retailers from remaining or locating in Baltimore County.

In turn, through a number of amendments were introduced by me and Councilman Marks to improve this bill, which were passed by the Council. Among the approved amendments:

1. Firearm retailers will NOT be charged any fees to obtain the necessary permits,

2. Firearm retailers will not be solely responsible for the total cost of the required

external and internal safety improvements to the buildings by creating a county

grant program for existing gun shops that would match up to $10,000 and provide

no-interest loans,

3. For predictability, firearm retailors seeking a license, are guaranteed a decision from the Police Chief on license applications within 60 days

4. Gun shops will remain open and have seven and a half months to obtain a license, and,

5. Restrict the requirements on Firearm Retailers to the recommendations of the ATF.

When these amendments passed, we supported this bill.

Because this is first and foremost, a safety issue, I believe that the County has an obligation to ensure the security of its citizens, and therefore, it should be a county responsibility to pay for part of these improvements, not the gun stores.

A very large percentage of my constituents live in isolated areas. For most of them, it takes a long time for 911 calls to be addressed. Because of this, many of my constituents own guns and rifles for protection. While I was concerned that the initial legislation would result in the closing of some Baltimore County gun shops and discourage new shops from locating in the County, I am confident that our amendments will allow for better security around existing and future gun shops while ensuring their availability to constituents who choose to purchase one.

The Second Amendment is a very crucial right in the US Constitution. Citizens have a right to protect themselves. We are reminded each day how easy it is for criminals to obtain guns and rifles. I do not believe we should be placing extra and undue burdens on law abiding citizens, who feel it necessary to purchase guns and rifles, for protection and sport, nor should we place extra and undue burdens on law abiding gun retailers.

Successfully addressing violent crime, in Baltimore County, is the most critical issue facing us. While this gun shop issue is a very small part of our crime problem, I believe the above actions will significantly reduce it.

Wade

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom