• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I'm hoping to get a fox and raccoon hide tanned this year. I used to live in PA and the process was simple, just ship the hide to whatever place I found online (I think USA Fox and Fur) and have them tan it. Does Maryland have any special requirements when shipping pelts out to be tanned? Or does anyone know of anyone local to the Frederick/Taneytown area that tan's hides?

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Following for info. I have a friend in Montana that also tans his own deer hides, I'm looking into doing that. It isn't that hard if you have your own yard, he says.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I've only done a few. Fleshed as much off as I could w the knife, soaked it in salt/water mix for two days. Continued to work the hide and then applied a tanning solution I ordered off sportsmans guide. Has held up well other than the occasional puppy teething. I hear its even easier with a wire wheel/grinder. I did mine by hand.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Just call Fox and Fur. They'll know. I know they're nuts here, but heres to hoping the libs aren't that rabid yet where it's an issue.

This was years ago, but I had a coonskin hat made by them. More for the cave than use, but it's really functional too...

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I haven't sent anything off yet, but most of the tanneries have shipping information on their website and DNR should be able to tell you what MD's requirements are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom