• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I did some searching and googling, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

We have a Sig 2022 in 9mm, and an M&P 9c. I usually shoot 115gr FMJ out of them, ,mostly Blazer Brass and Speer Lawman, but I have a few hundred rounds of 124gr FMJ of each brand. Looking around, it seems that most folks are out of stock of 115gr FMJ, but there seems to better availibility of 124gr.

So my question is, is it safe to shoot 124gr a lot? I would imagine that the heavier bullet weight would be harder to spin and put more wear and tear on the rifling and other parts. But that's just a theory.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    115 gr are the LEAST expensive to shoot, which is the main reason people choose them to shoot. you CANNOT hurt your gun, shooting other weight bullets. C'mon now, think about it. :-)

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I think I'm overthinking it.

My thinking was that a heavier bullet would not spin up as quickly as a lighter bullet when traveling down the rifling, and would wear the rifiling down quicker if you used heavier bullets exclusively as opposed to lighter bullets. But I'm probably overthinking/thinking it wrong.

Doing some more research, seems like it doesn't matter.

I know that you can shoot stuff like 147gr HP, but I always thought that that that was something people did to test things like accuracy and reliability, and they didn't run thousands of rounds of heavy bullets for just regular old target shooting.

But thinking about it more, it kinda makes sense that the bullet weight wouldn't hurt the gun, since stuff like .45ACP (which I know less than nothing about) is heavier and shoots just fine. And copper plating and lead is softer than steel, and I ponder this stuff too much.

Well, now I just feel silly. :)

tumblr_lpnr4ccnW61qc6bwp.gif

Thanks.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I believe the heavier bullet should be loaded for a lower velocity.

I thought so too, but are they? Or are they loaded the same and the difference in velocity is due to the heavier bullet not accellerating as quickly as the lighter bullet?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know that you can shoot stuff like 147gr HP, but I always thought that that that was something people did to test things like accuracy and reliability, and they didn't run thousands of rounds of heavy bullets for just regular old target shooting.

You do when you are shooting suppressed.....:D

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I would imagine that the heavier bullet weight would be harder to spin and put more wear and tear on the rifling and other parts. But that's just a theory.

The relationship between barrel wear is between the amount of gun powder used and not the projectile.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    The relationship between barrel wear is between the amount of gun powder used and not the projectile.

Lighter bullets = faster
    heavy = slower

Barrel wear has more to do with heat than anything else I believe

Ahh. I see.
    Thanks.

I was thinking about picking up a case of 9mm and wanted to make sure that I wasn't buying up a bunch of ammo that I'd regret.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The answer you are looking for is essentially no difference ( presuming that all of the bulk ammo in question is standard pressure/ velocity ).

Wear on the interior of the bbl ( to only slightly simplify ) is factored by the errosion properties of the hot gasses long before the physical friction of the bullet becomes an issue. They factors of ( flame temperature , pressure curve , percentage of solids in residue , and a bunch of chemical engineering trivia ) are not redilily discernable from information available to consumers.

The "overall wear and tear" upon the gun ( to oversimplify even more ) is a factor of the momentimum ( bullet wt x velocity ) of the load being above normal/ what gun is designed for. This would be ammo designated as +P , or +P+ ( , or NATO - some of which is within SAAMI spec , and some isn't) . This can lead to increased forces upon slides , frames , locking surfaces. Some guns are specified as being *safe* with certain levels of loads , but even then wear & tear will be accelerated. [ If the ammo in question is extra hot , it will be marked , probably an bragging point , and probably pay a premimum for it ].

In the day , when +P+ 9mm was in vogue as an issue LE round , the rule of thumb in circulation was a service life of aprox half that of std pressure rounds. If you were speaking in terms of 10,000rds vs 20,000rds , many agencies considered that acceptable , as they already had replacement cycles in that range , and they desired the performance of the hotter ammo.

[ Historical note- I still like 115+P+ to this day , but more recent ammo developements has developed many good performing 124-ish gr loads at both std pressure , and +P levels. I'm just Old School.]

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Interesting. Thanks!

I'm not playing with +P or anything. Just wondering about FMJ stuff for target shooting. I still use standard pressure hollow points for HD.

I didn't know about all the chemistry stuff. I thought the friction would be the bigger factor. Good to know!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good point. but aren't you shooting at a lower velocity?

Yep. Subsonic bullets are much quieter. Where I often shoot is legal, but in a place where if I shot unsuppressed would annoy neighbors and most likely prompt a call to the police. Problem solved. Shoot cool suppressed guns and annoy nobody. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom