Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Gah. Sorry to hear this.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Be sure to appeal.

Without a doubt, planning on it. Sunshine is the best disinfectant to shed light on the civil rights violations these chuckle heads are pulling. Why wouldn't I flex my already burnt tax dollars on the appeals board and exhaust administrative appeals to potentially open another avenue for litigation on facts. The (unconstitutional) statute clearly states,

2333.2 For the purposes of satisfying the specifications of § 2333.1, a person shall allege, in writing, serious threats of death or serious bodily harm, any attacks on his or her person, or any theft of property from his or her person. The person shall also allege that the threats are of a nature that the legal possession of a pistol is necessary as a reasonable precaution against the apprehended danger.

...seems like being robbed with a revolver pointed at your face satisfies that.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Without a doubt, planning on it. Sunshine is the best disinfectant to shed light on the civil rights violations these chuckle heads are pulling. Why wouldn't I flex my already burnt tax dollars on the appeals board and exhaust administrative appeals to potentially open another avenue for litigation on facts. The (unconstitutional) statute clearly states,

2333.2 For the purposes of satisfying the specifications of § 2333.1, a person shall allege, in writing, serious threats of death or serious bodily harm, any attacks on his or her person, or any theft of property from his or her person. The person shall also allege that the threats are of a nature that the legal possession of a pistol is necessary as a reasonable precaution against the apprehended danger.

...seems like being robbed with a revolver pointed at your face satisfies that.

They are clearly adopting the NJ standard (at least for self defense permits) which is that the threats are specific in nature. It won't matter whether you've been robbed 100 times, unless you can prove someone out there is actively hunting you, then you're SOL.

Along those lines, does anyone know if the DC could be forced to cough up redacted "good cause" statements that were successful? Could be potentially damaging to DC if it's discovered that they've given a few permits out to the "right people" with flimsy good cause statements. I know most may-issues keep this info from the public (exception is CA), but DC's a different animal all together.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Along those lines, does anyone know if the DC could be forced to cough up redacted "good cause" statements

There is a quite a bit of "open government" / FOIA language in the DC code including, "Final opinions made in the adjudication of cases." But I'm sure for something like this, they would pull a page out of the Obama playbook. And we know how that goes. You request, they deny, you sue, they use their comparatively unlimited resources to stall, and eventually it is a judicial coin flip.

It would also be valuable to get ahold of the the internal policies and directives surrounding licensing, which are also subject to release under DC code. My guess is they have none, and the procedure is "check for disqualifiers, send to Cathy." But you never know what would come out and what could potentially be used as another angle for attack.

...hopefully they don't stop picking up my garbage.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Datapoint. Just received my denial from MPD as a DC resident.

TWO documented incidents as a victim of robberies with a deadly weapon (muggings) in public space in DC submitted as G&S including a MPD incident report.

I guess even having been victimized in the past doesn't "demonstrate a good reason to fear injury to person or property" to these jokers.

Wow, if that is not G&S than what is.
    Now maybe if you were carrying business cash.....

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    So I got a "Final Decision" back regarding my appeal. Still Denied.

These guys are playing slick and dumb.

So a quick paraphrasing of the letter as I can't scan at this time, or type it all out.

Board finds following facts not in dispute.
    1. Mr. LCPIWB basic for application was "other proper reason to carry a concealed pistol"
    2. Mr. LCPIWB applied with reasoning "Self Defense and all lawful purposes".
    3. Mr. LCPIWB submitted an appeal saying he suffered from Gout which is a recognized disability under ADA, and crime statistics demonstrated that persons suffering from disabilities are 3 times more likely to be victims of violence. Explainations and materials submitted to board were not submited to chief.

Conclusions of the board based on the "facts". (Actaully direct quotes now)
    1. "The Panel has no authority to consider reasons for a concealed pistol license that were not first submitted and considered by the Chief."
    2. "The record reviewed by Panel contained no disputes as to material facts as the record demonstrated that Mr. LCPIWB did not provide sufficient explaination or materials in the support of his application for the Chief to consider as part of an application for a concealed pistol license. Consequently, there is no basis to conduct an evidentiary hearing on appeal."
    3. " The record reviewed by the Panel does not provide a basis for conducting a summary disposition process pursuant to 1 DCMR 1210 as the purpose for such a process is to permit a review of the excercise of discretion by the Chief in the denial of Mr. LCPIWB application. The Chief has no discretion to grant a concealed pistol license without a determination that the applicant meets one or more of the legal bases upon which such a license may be granted. The Chief cannot exercise such a discretion based upon an application, such as Mr. LCPIWB, that does not provide the basic information required by District law and regulation."
    4. "Since there is no basis for either an evidentiary hearing or a summary disposition process, the Panel determined that it should proceed to make a final decision on this appeal."

"THEREFORE, by unanimous vote of the Panel members present, IT IS ORDERED that this appeal is DENIED."

"Additionally, the Panel expresses no position on whether the 'good reasons' contained in Mr. LCPIWB statement to the Board are a sufficient basis for a concealed pistol license. That determination remains in the first instance for the Chief after the reasons are presented by Mr. LCPIWB to the Chief in the manner established by applicable laws and regulations. "

WTF. I expect no less of D.C. and will end the post with that.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Just a note...

The renewal process couldn't have been easier. It took longer to find a parking space...

With my application and certification of training/shooting in hand, I paid my $75.00, waited while they did a few manual background checks and I left with my new permit.

They also printed out a new card for my pistol. My old one was almost cracked in half. Oh, and they no longer have to be renewed...

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Just a note...

The renewal process couldn't have been easier. It took longer to find a parking space...

With my application and certification of training/shooting in hand, I paid my $75.00, waited while they did a few manual background checks and I left with my new permit.

They also printed out a new card for my pistol. My old one was almost cracked in half. Oh, and they no longer have to be renewed...

Question for you...... On another thread you mentioned that your DC permit was expiring in September. Did your expiration date change to August 8/2/2019? I'm getting ready to renew and am curious.

Thanks

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just a note...

Good to hear, I'm up for renewal in November.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I renewed in February.

Im tempted to say that MSP's Licensing Division could learn a lesson from DC's "Gun Crime" unit, but...

Neither bureaucracy's primary foci are public safety, customer service or wise stewardship of public funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Question for you...... On another thread you mentioned that your DC permit was expiring in September. Did your expiration date change to August 8/2/2019? I'm getting ready to renew and am curious.

Thanks

Sadly, yes... It was set to expire 9/4, but I wanted to make sure I could get down there in time...

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Sadly, yes... It was set to expire 9/4, but I wanted to make sure I could get down there in time...

I took a class for my renewal last Thursday and it was explained to me that would happen if i went in early.

Thanks

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Does anybody have a recommendation on the best way to get there from Annapolis?

Is there parking at the DCPD?

Is metro better? (I hate metro)

Other?

Heading down there Thursday morning after the PP hootenanny at lawyers Mall. Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Parking is tough. There are a couple garages but not nearby. Use an app like Spothero or Parking Panda to find one. There is a Metro stop close to MPD HQ. (Judiciary Square at 4th and F Sts.)

DC enforces meter parking like hawks so if you park make sure to give yourself plenty of time on the meter. I found one by chance half a block from the front door.

I hate Metro so I drove down.

Good luck

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does anybody have a recommendation on the best way to get there from Annapolis?

Is there parking at the DCPD?

Is metro better? (I hate metro)

Other?

Heading down there Thursday morning after the PP hootenanny at lawyers Mall. Thanks!

There is public parking out front but chances are YOU WILL NOT GET A SPOT. There aren't any public garages close by (5-6 blocks) due to all the federal buildings. The redline (judiciary square metro) is very close but do not get off at the LEO memorial side, thats a walk.

You may be able to luck out and find street parking a block or two away but keep in mind the street is filled with cops going to court, federal employees, building workers, and people who have court appearances. Its a very very very busy area.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Thanks everybody. Sounds like metro is the better option.

No need for further comments unless something magical appears, like a chauffeured unicorn that tastes like raisins. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom