• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reccitron

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    I did a search but couldn't find the answer. In the training section of the MD concealed carry it says that "score at least 70% accuracy".

How is that calculated? Most pistol scoring I found in searches was scored in points not accuracy.

Also is there a special target I should be using to practice with?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I did a search but couldn't find the answer. In the training section of the MD concealed carry it says that "score at least 70% accuracy".

How is that calculated? Most pistol scoring I found in searches was scored in points not accuracy.

Also is there a special target I should be using to practice with?

My initial MD class, and the renewal class, the instructor had us address a standard B-25 torso silhouette target at various distances, on the clock. While I'm happy to say I scored a 100% on both occasions, you just have to keep 70% of those shots (taken as a whole) in the rings. It's a little trickier at the longer distance, but very doable. Note that you do NOT have to do the test with your favorite little pocket carry gun. Use a full sized pistol with a decent sight radius so you can get the job done and not sweat it.

The classes (and definitely the brief range test) are NOT to be confused with real defensive pistol training. But I watched enough classmates struggle to stay above 70% that it's clear the test introduces enough stress for people who don't shoot frequently that it does weed out the ones who can't hit the proverbial broad side of the barn.

Get some B-25s and practice at 3, 5, 7, 12 and 15 yards (if I remember that correctly!). My instructors used robo target hangers that could flip from edge-on to facing the shooter, and had the targets flip to you for a brief period where we got in three shots, flipped back to edge-on, then flipped to us again for a shorter period for a two-shot follow up. We did that at all four distances. They allowed the target face time to grow a bit at the longer distances, five shots at each distance for a total of 25. All strings were started from a hot gun at low ready, no drawing and firing on the clock. The MD course of fire description is a bit less challenging than the target-flipping mode I was exposed to.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Thanks. That was what I was looking for.

As others, including me, have stated, concentrate first on your pistol skills before leaping into concealed carry. Then move on to being able to draw from the holster.

Once those skills are established, you can move on to taking classes to sharpen your defensive skills and mindset.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    As others, including me, have stated, concentrate first on your pistol skills before leaping into concealed carry. Then move on to being able to draw from the holster.

Once those skills are established, you can move on to taking classes to sharpen your defensive skills and mindset.

Just like Daniel-San needed Mr Miyagi, You need Mr McB to be your instructor and sensei. He can set you on the right path and direct you to your goal of obtaining a CCP not just in Md but quite a few other states.

Also, I am no affliated with Mike so my opinion is unbiased. I'm not active as an Instructor right now so I would recommend him to my family or friends seeking training right now.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just like Daniel-San needed Mr Miyagi, You need Mr McB to be your instructor and sensei. He can set you on the right path and direct you to your goal of obtaining a CCP not just in Md but quite a few other states.

Also, I am no affliated with Mike so my opinion is unbiased. I'm not active as an Instructor right now so I would recommend him to my family or friends seeking training right now.

Thank you for those kind words. Like you, I am not training/teaching as much as I should due to eldercare and other issues.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I cannot reinforce enough to find a good instructor. They should, no matter your level, be able to guide you through the process of improvement and training.

That being said the qualification for a permit in Maryland is hit the silhouette is a hit, anything else is a miss. Security professionals a little more involved. I just qualified a security person today and I think it is quite reasonable.

I would feel uneasy with someone carrying who cannot pass the Md qualification, however I do think the NRA basic pistol qualification is much more difficult. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    TD

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My initial MD class, and the renewal class, the instructor had us address a standard B-25 torso silhouette target at various distances, on the clock. While I'm happy to say I scored a 100% on both occasions, you just have to keep 70% of those shots (taken as a whole) in the rings. It's a little trickier at the longer distance, but very doable. Note that you do NOT have to do the test with your favorite little pocket carry gun. Use a full sized pistol with a decent sight radius so you can get the job done and not sweat it.

The classes (and definitely the brief range test) are NOT to be confused with real defensive pistol training. But I watched enough classmates struggle to stay above 70% that it's clear the test introduces enough stress for people who don't shoot frequently that it does weed out the ones who can't hit the proverbial broad side of the barn.

Get some B-25s and practice at 3, 5, 7, 12 and 15 yards (if I remember that correctly!). My instructors used robo target hangers that could flip from edge-on to facing the shooter, and had the targets flip to you for a brief period where we got in three shots, flipped back to edge-on, then flipped to us again for a shorter period for a two-shot follow up. We did that at all four distances. They allowed the target face time to grow a bit at the longer distances, five shots at each distance for a total of 25. All strings were started from a hot gun at low ready, no drawing and firing on the clock. The MD course of fire description is a bit less challenging than the target-flipping mode I was exposed to.
    Chief Wiggum approves:

(start at 0:42 for relevant, but it's all pretty funny)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom