Electronic In-Ear Earpro...who has experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    This Axil brand in-ear earpro ad has popped up in my FB feed on several occasions and I'm just wondering if any of you all have any experience with this or any like product. What are your thoughts on the subject, product reviews, concerns, warnings etc.
    https://www.goaxil.com/

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I've had good luck with Walker's Razor XV (ear buds connected with neck band). The foam tips with them are 31 NRR. I use them for outdoor shooting, hunting, using power equipment, etc. I'd pair any type of earbud with passive muffs for indoor ranges though. The only drawback is that the active hearing enhancement can become borderline useless in high winds.

I always prefer ones that are connected or have a neck band. Smaller is not always better. The single buds are very easy to misplace or lose, especially in the field hunting. Ask me how I know.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    This Axil brand in-ear earpro ad has popped up in my FB feed on several occasions and I'm just wondering if any of you all have any experience with this or any like product. What are your thoughts on the subject, product reviews, concerns, warnings etc.

I've tried Axil, wasn't very impressed. The sound was distorted. Not sure if there's different models or not, though. I've also tried a 3M brand, also not impressed.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've had good luck with Walker's Razor XV (ear buds connected with neck band). The foam tips with them are 31 NRR. I use them for outdoor shooting, hunting, using power equipment, etc. I'd pair any type of earbud with passive muffs for indoor ranges though. The only drawback is that the active hearing enhancement can become borderline useless in high winds.

I always prefer ones that are connected or have a neck band. Smaller is not always better. The single buds are very easy to misplace or lose, especially in the field hunting. Ask me how I know.

Ahh...your lesson learned at cost is well worth the ounce of prevention for me-- if I choose to go this route. Thanks for the reply from experience--

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've tried Axil, wasn't very impressed. The sound was distorted. Not sure if there's different models or not, though. I've also tried a 3M brand, also not impressed.

Gotcha-- about how long ago? Just wondering if it's possible they might have made some improvements based on customer feedback.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

Dont buy things that magically appear on your social media pages. This should be common sense.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Dont buy things that magically appear on your social media pages. This should be common sense.

Agreed--hence the reason for the post. Although, not everything is a pig in a poke-- I've actually had some good experience buying on-line where the item I chose after research was what appeared first in my feed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a set of 3M/Peltor EEP-100.

With the Skull Screw plugs they 30 dB NRR.

These are the consumer versions. I called 3M tech support ask the difference between the EEP-100 versus the tactical TEP-200 version. Other than the well over $100 price difference.

1) The EEP are green and the TEP are tan/coyote

2) The TEP case takes 2x AAA batteries and charges the plugs. The EEP requires you connect a typical USB charger (plug in or portable battery) to charge.

3) The TEP is a bit better sealed against dust and rain.

I am happy with the EEP.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I found the sound to be distorted on the Axil as well.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have the Walker Silencer 2 rechargable. Work well for most shooting outdoors. In the confines of an indoor range, they don't work as well when other shooters are there. I use over ear muffs (walker razor).

Note the android app for the Walker earbuds stopped working in December and no updates have occurred. I have failed on multiple occasions to reach a live body on the phone. They do not answer emails.

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    I run with Walker's as well, everyone's ear size/shape is different so fit matters. Took a while to get used to squishing it before inserting and then getting used to it expanding in my ear. Definitely not for everyone but they work well outdoor, indoor I too flip back to muffs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the Walker Silencer 2 rechargable.

They are rated at 24 dB NRR.

The 3M/Peltor with Skull Screw are 30 dB NRR.

dB is log, not linear. So 6 dB is a 4 fold change. So the 3M exposure you to 1/4 the sound pressure of the Walkers.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The problem with the 3m ones is that they're incredibly sensitive to how they fit into your ear. With the skull screws, I get zero amplification. In fact, the only amplification I get is with the middle size of the supplied ear buds. Very finicky with respect to fit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem with the 3m ones is that they're incredibly sensitive to how they fit into your ear. With the skull screws, I get zero amplification. In fact, the only amplification I get is with the middle size of the supplied ear buds. Very finicky with respect to fit.

You are likely doing something wrong. Either not getting the plug fully onto the unit or bending the tip when inserting.

Or your ear canals might be small and over compressing the tip.

I have no problems with the Skull Screws. They insert easily and I can tell the difference in the amplification settings.

Finicky fit is how they get the higher NRR.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I also got the Peltor EEP-100 and like them, so far have been wearing them exclusively for the last 6 months.

They are more quiet than my Peltor Comtac2 over ear headset with fresh ear cups (yes the ear cups do wear over time and do crush down) I comfortably wear them for 6~8 hours at a time and the batteries last a full day match session and you can throw them in their charging case for a top up during lunch if you need.

They are not water proof. I did have one shut down on me after 3 hours of being rained on. It did work again like normal after they dried out.

I would buy another pair I these die.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD

These tips also fit the EEP-100. I have a set and they work well. Just get the tip fully on the earpiece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RRD7XJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom