• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was always told if you dont need a fork lift to move it or you can count it you dont have enough.
    Some day I will probably need to stop and run through what I have without getting any more ammo or components. My plans are to either retire to VT/NH/ME or WA/OR.

The former would kind of suck with the couple van loads or small box truck just for my gun and hunting stuff. The later would REALLY suck taking all that cross country. A guesstimate, I’ve probably got like 500-700# of bullets (works out to 35-40k 115gr .355s). Not including cases. Commercial ammo. A safe. The guns. Tree stand. Climber. Clothes. Bench. Etc.

I mean some I’ll use as an excuse to buy new and better. I doubt I’ll move my safe. Probably just buy one there and move in to it as I plan to buy a place prior to retirement. Not buy, sell and move in one trip.

But no way I am having movers move my guns, ammo, and reloading stuff. Even without the bench, shelves (taken apart), and safe, I doubt my bins of ammo, gun stuff, hunting stuff, and components could actually fit in a minivan. Maybe, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Not that I’ll just shoot through everything. But I probably won’t be jumping on bullet deals too good to pass up for a few years before hand. If I can shoot 2000 rounds year and not buy bullets, that’s probably 20-30# a year I don’t have to move. If I can be an over achiever and hit 4k a year, that’s more like 40-60#.

I’ll plan to shoot a LOT of .45acp in advance…

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Some day I will probably need to stop and run through what I have without getting any more ammo or components. My plans are to either retire to VT/NH/ME or WA/OR.

The former would kind of suck with the couple van loads or small box truck just for my gun and hunting stuff. The later would REALLY suck taking all that cross country. A guesstimate, I’ve probably got like 500-700# of bullets (works out to 35-40k 115gr .355s). Not including cases. Commercial ammo. A safe. The guns. Tree stand. Climber. Clothes. Bench. Etc.

I mean some I’ll use as an excuse to buy new and better. I doubt I’ll move my safe. Probably just buy one there and move in to it as I plan to buy a place prior to retirement. Not buy, sell and move in one trip.

But no way I am having movers move my guns, ammo, and reloading stuff. Even without the bench, shelves (taken apart), and safe, I doubt my bins of ammo, gun stuff, hunting stuff, and components could actually fit in a minivan. Maybe, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Not that I’ll just shoot through everything. But I probably won’t be jumping on bullet deals too good to pass up for a few years before hand. If I can shoot 2000 rounds year and not buy bullets, that’s probably 20-30# a year I don’t have to move. If I can be an over achiever and hit 4k a year, that’s more like 40-60#.

I’ll plan to shoot a LOT of .45acp in advance…
    Those are some of the most unfriendly gun states around with the exception of vermont but the grabbers are working on that. Why would you do that to yourself. I know your politics are different than most of us here but it seems like you would hate what those states are pulling too

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Those are some of the most unfriendly gun states around with the exception of vermont but the grabbers are working on that. Why would you do that to yourself. I know your politics are different than most of us here but it seems like you would hate what those states are pulling too
    NH is not an unfriendly gun state and is generally quite pro freedom. Permitless open and concealed carry, castle doctrine, and stand your ground.

Maine, also, is open and concealed permitless carry and castle doctrine, though there is no stand your ground and you must retreat if able if away from your "castle".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    NH is not an unfriendly gun state and is generally quite pro freedom. Permitless open and concealed carry, castle doctrine, and stand your ground.

Maine, also, is open and concealed permitless carry and castle doctrine, though there is no stand your ground and you must retreat if able if away from your "castle".
    This.

As for the why, climate. My wife has decision making too (and she hates guns, so gun friendly isn’t something she cares about). Taxes in those states. Cost of living. Natural beauty of the states where close family friends live.

We are talking >10yrs from now. A lot can change by then. Hopefully much for the good.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    No matter what they say I dun, well I ain't never had too much gun (ammo)

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    In most cases, I don’t think you can have enough. In recession? Buy more. Things going well? Buy more.

The only time you have enough or too much is if you have a pending move ( relocation) or severely downsizing and storage space is an issue.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I need to do an inventory. I've bought close to 2000 rounds in the past 3 months. The ammo cans are stacked 5 high and the one plastic shelf is beginning to bow. I just found a .50 ammo can dedicated to .45 JHPs that is full that I didn't know I had. I think if you are forgetting what you have you may have too much? I stray from new calibers since I don't want to stock any more.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I need to do an inventory. I've bought close to 2000 rounds in the past 3 months. The ammo cans are stacked 5 high and the one plastic shelf is beginning to bow. I just found a .50 ammo can dedicated to .45 JHPs that is full that I didn't know I had. I think if you are forgetting what you have you may have too much? I stray from new calibers since I don't want to stock any more.
    When you have to rent a storage unit for your ammo, get back to us.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    My problem is my dumbass has stocked up and range/plinking ammo and neglected my hunting stash.

I’m good for a while but I’d like 200-300 rounds of my hunting stuff so i don’t have to worry for a while
    I had that exact same problem with big game ammo after I won a lottery draw.

I had plenty of thin skinned game ammo (deer), but nothing to step up into elk or moose. I made do with what I had in hand and had a successful hunt. Once the monolithic ammo became available again, a few boxes in each big game caliber were purchased just to have for the next lottery draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom