• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    Good deal. I know one of the members said you were trying to get some real pins but, like I said, either way it's all fun. I'll be bringing a friend with his Glock to try it out for the first time next Saturday.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm there. Had a good time last month. :) But bringing a different pistol!:lol2:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you want to shoot real pins you need to hit the Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Normally I used to shoot that match but currently Peacemaker's 3GunNation monthly match is on the same day.

Apr 15, 2013
    Yeah, I wasn't real thrilled about waiting 3 hours to shoot.

That was my experience last time I went to one also. By the time I'd gotten there (noon), the signup sheet had been filled. I had a burger and waited. I saw many of the same people shoot again and again. Two hours later when I had to leave, my name still wasn't near the top of the list. A lovely afternoon at the range, and I didn't get to fire a shot- should have spent that time on the high power range instead.

But the burger was good.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Went today but couldn't shoot. :sad20:

Took me 45 minutes to get there arriving a few minutes after 1:00 and was told they wouldn't sign me in because they only had the range till 3:30, and they had too many people already signed up? It was 12:00 to 4:00 last month, and I didn't get there until after 2:00 but still got to shoot, and some didn't get there until after 2:30 and still shot. Anyway, didn't seem like that many people were there today, but they were only shooting 4 at a time. 1 rim fire and 3 center fire. Maybe they were all shooting multiple pistols? Or multiple times? They said I could wait and see, but I wasn't going to sit around for 2.5 hours hoping I might get to shoot eventually. Pretty disappointing since I took the new pistol with me. I guess the only way to do this one is to be there early or right on time, and be able to stay for the duration.

Was also trying to pick up some karma for ProtegeV that he had won from Jac43k, but no one knew who that was and I didn't have his real name. Maybe he was on the line or timing?

Basically wasted more than 2 hours driving around the beltway. With traffic it took me 50 minutes to make it to Freestate to shoot at paper indoors - but I got a lane right away.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The AGC really really really needs at least one action pistol bay. Six or Eight would be better, but if there was only one, just one, they wouldn't have to shut down the entire pistol range all afternoon. Then people could shoot on the regular range while waiting their turn to shoot the pins.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    The AGC really really really needs at least one action pistol bay. Six or Eight would be better, but if there was only one, just one, they wouldn't have to shut down the entire pistol range all afternoon. Then people could shoot on the regular range while waiting their turn to shoot the pins.

I wish I could repost this 100 times. I would happily pay extra for one bay like they have at PNTC.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    I wish I could repost this 100 times. I would happily pay extra for one bay like they have at PNTC.

Just got back. Weather was perfect this afternoon. Took a friend who had never shot in a pin match before and he was impressed by the greater degree of difficulty than expected. When I told him that pin distance was 25 feet, he was all like, WTF? He went away with a new found respect for the game.

We got there at 11:30, signed-up to shoot two Relays each and were done by 2:00pm. Sorry I missed you Gryph? I probably would've given you my spot in Relay 4 if I had known how much BS you went thru to get there. That sucks. Turnout was about the same as it was at the last match in April.

The sixth pin was my nemesis today. SOB wouldn't drop for me with less than two shots in Relay 2. My excuse - new gun. I had only shot about 100 rounds thru it prior to showing-up for the match today. Did a lot better in Relay 4, though.

It's pretty darn fun, to be honest. Stemmer's runs a good, safe match but I agree that it would be nice(er) if more people could shoot in each relay. Real bowling pins and a dedicated action pistol bay at AGC would kick ass, too.

Last edited:

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I really wish I could have made it out today.
    What is stopping AGC from having action pistol bays? Space? Money?
    Has it ver been brought up to the trustees?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I really wish I could have made it out today.
    What is stopping AGC from having action pistol bays? Space? Money?
    Has it ver been brought up to the trustees?

There are plans for developing another pistol range at the AGC that will allow for more active forms of pistol shooting. It is one of the capital improvements and like all things, takes both time and money.

Ask anyone that has been a member for more then ten years and they will tell you that the range is becoming more shooter friendly. In the last ten years they have allowed shorter distance shooting on both the pistol and 100 yard range, Steel targets, reactive targets, Class three, Deer hunting on the property, and an action/practice range is in the works.

Can either of you tell us a bit more about this?

Will there be more than one pistol bay, perhaps a large bay and several smaller one's? Where would it be located? What sort of time frame are we looking at for completion? Before 2020?

Please please pleasepleaseplease please tell more!

In the works is all I know. It takes time to plan something like this out to have a good proposal for the trustees to consider. If a poor plan is presented it will end up in the trash and be the death of the idea.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Went today but couldn't shoot. :sad20:

Took me 45 minutes to get there arriving a few minutes after 1:00 and was told they wouldn't sign me in because they only had the range till 3:30, and they had too many people already signed up? It was 12:00 to 4:00 last month, and I didn't get there until after 2:00 but still got to shoot, and some didn't get there until after 2:30 and still shot. Anyway, didn't seem like that many people were there today, but they were only shooting 4 at a time. 1 rim fire and 3 center fire. Maybe they were all shooting multiple pistols? Or multiple times? They said I could wait and see, but I wasn't going to sit around for 2.5 hours hoping I might get to shoot eventually. Pretty disappointing since I took the new pistol with me. I guess the only way to do this one is to be there early or right on time, and be able to stay for the duration.

Was also trying to pick up some karma for ProtegeV that he had won from Jac43k, but no one knew who that was and I didn't have his real name. Maybe he was on the line or timing?

Basically wasted more than 2 hours driving around the beltway. With traffic it took me 50 minutes to make it to Freestate to shoot at paper indoors - but I got a lane right away.

What I sent to protegev

“I have no clue who John talked to. I was manning the grill like I have done for the last 3 years and was at the grill till it was my time to shoot at 2:30. At that time Billy took over, he’s a member here.

There was only one person who was not able to sign up due to how many others shooters showed up, and we all know him well due to how well he shoots.

He asked for two hot dogs before asking to sign up for the shoot and being informed they were not signing up any more shooters. He watched for about 20 minutes and left. If he had stayed he would have been able to shoot.”

In any case if anyone is ever looking for me at any of these shoots I’m the short guy with glasses next to the grill behind the 4 door Black F-150 parked at the 50 yard range and my name is James...

James

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Just got back. Weather was perfect this afternoon. Took a friend who had never shot in a pin match before and he was impressed by the greater degree of difficulty than expected. When I told him that pin distance was 25 feet, he was all like, WTF? He went away with a new found respect for the game.

I guess Jack (Stemmer's Pres) couldn't make it today? I didn't see Duke either. Those were the two club officers I met at the last match. We got there at 11:30, signed-up to shoot two Relays each and were done by 2:00pm. Sorry I missed you Gryph? I probably would've given you my spot in Relay 4 if I had known how much BS you went thru to get there. That sucks. Turnout was about the same as it was at the last match in April.

The sixth pin was my nemesis today. SOB wouldn't drop for me with less than two shots in Relay 2. My excuse - new gun. I had only shot about 100 rounds thru it prior to showing-up for the match today. Did a lot better in Relay 4, though.

It's pretty darn fun, to be honest. Stemmer's runs a good, safe match but I agree that it would be nice(er) if more people could shoot in each relay. Real bowling pins and a dedicated action pistol bay at AGC would kick ass, too.

Just a FYI for everyone.

Stuart Stein is Stemmer's Run President
    Steve Fickus runs the Bowling Pin Shoots
    Shane Green helps run the Bowling Pin Shoots
    Cathy signs everyone up for the Bowling Pin Shoots.
    and me James Cook the cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom